Tuesday, 27 April 2010

altered matchbox swap


I've finished my TEN altered matchboxes for the altered matchbox swap kindly organised by Bad Penny at The Linen Shelf, so if you're also playing in that swap and want a surprise when you open up your parcel, look away now! The theme is 'Spring into Summer'. I wanted my matchboxes to look like something that had been knocking about for a long time in a shed drawer so I scrumpled up some brown paper and Distress Inked it liberally, and then ironed it to remove the biggest lumps and bumps.. Torn to size this paper was wrapped around the matchbox, and distress embossed with a flower (so subtle it is almost invisible to the naked eye!). The ends were stamped with the word 'GROW' as an optimistic reminder. Inside was again Distress Inked and the bottom is lined with hessian. There are 3 packets of seeds (well, actually cous-cous), with the labels of 'love', 'peace' and 'consolation'. These are wrapped in some Shaker wisdom penned by Martha J Anderson :-

Love, consolation and peace bloom only in the garden of sweet contentment.

Old jute twine is tied around the box, and there is a distressed label bearing the words 'Spring into Summer', and a charm.
This is the first time I have taken part in an altered matchbox swap and I do hope what I have done is ok.

9 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous love all of them, they must have taken an absolute age to do! But so worth while - I've never done a 'swap' am on with my first ever circle journal and loving it so may have to consider giving something like a swap a go! Hope you're having a good day!

missy k said...

Jo

Wow! These are wonderful! They are just so sweet and THEY do look like they belong in a lovely old garden shed.... I can just imagine them having 'that' smell. The little charms are so cute. They will be LOVED!

Karenx

ps Thank you for the RAK- can I blog it? I love, love, love the birdlife on the napkins. Thank you:)

Dawn said...

Oh looking at these I wish I would have known about the swap these are fantastic Jo really just wonderful

Love Dawn xx

Heavens2Betsy said...

These are a delight Jo! Your matchboxes really are miniature delights and everyone who gets one will be delighted. What a fantastic challenge. I so admire your finesse x

daisy said...

Adorable! Each detail is wonderfully thought out & perfectly executed. Looking forward to seeing the matchboxes you receive in the swap.

daisy xx

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

OMG these are brilliant Jo, I love your take on the theme, and your distressing makes them look so authentic, love those cute lil seed packets. Can't wait to receive one of these beauties in the swap!! :)
Jan x

bad penny said...

I'm not looking too closely then I'll see them for real soon xx

bad penny said...

They've arrived ! I should say they are OK - they are more than Ok they are fabulous ! I love them. Thank you for the return envelope - very thoughtful. I'll post them when I get them all in then post on my blog after that. Can I use the spares for a give away as I think only six are taking part now ?
Thanks again for playing xx

Chriss Rollins said...

Fantastic idea.

chriss x