Monday, 24 May 2010

Peeled Paint ATC's

The theme this month at The Artist Trading Club is 'Peeled Paint Background', as explained by the Guest Designer Gaby. You really should go and check out her blog, she is soooo talented, especially at peeled paint backgrounds. Unlike me. I had 3 attempts and finally returned to attempt #1 as the best of a bad lot. Having now got some rather manky backgrounds, I decided the best policy was to cover them up as much as possible, leaving mere glimpses of peeled paint. I also thought to myself, "I know, I'll get out the sewing machine and roughly sew some borders."Bad move. Sewing machine hates me, something to do with the tension. Believe me, there was lots of tension stitching them! Anyway, the ATC's will be in the post to Chriss in the next few days and I don't think I'll be attempting peeled paint backgrounds again, ever. Leave it to those who can do it, like Gaby, Penny and Kimmie. You've probably noticed mine are all very similar apart from the colour of the embellishments - I simply ran out of time for any free running thinking so used the one lovely image from Green Paper (who runs the Vintage Gluebook online class).

18 comments:

bad penny said...

Ooooohhhhh....these are FAB !!!!
can you tell me as I am stoopid - what are the artist trading cards ?

Jo said...

Hello Penny, ATC's are small works of art which are always swapped rather than bought or sold. They are a standard size, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". If you have a look at the Artist Trading Club blog you'll see some stunning creations. Hope that helps, xxx

Yvonne said...

Hi Jo,
I had a few goes at the peeled paint method too. Your ATCs look fabulous!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Oh Jo get orf! These are delicious and I covet themI As for being an able peeled painter, I tried this with my friend last week and all we created was recycling....again! Your atcs are stunning! Pen x

Electra said...

Oh my Jo, you are way too hard on yourself. I love each of these and would love to receive any of them!

Gaby Bee said...

Hi Jo, what's the matter? These ATCs are terrific! Love them all, especially the first one!
Have a wonderful week!
Gaby xo

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

Oh Jo, these are gorgeous!!
Love your backgrounds, the fabric, image and buttons are so sweet!
Would love to have one of these in the swap, but I'm struggling with the peeled paint backgrounds here!!
Jan x

Anesha said...

Wow, these are wonderful. Love your different backgrounds. Anesha

Martina2801 said...

I must say I LOVE your ATC`s, Jo! These are awesome, I'm just amazed at your creativity and your creations :) BRAVO

Queen Bee said...

These are absolutely FABULOUS!

Virginia said...

These are gorgeous hun - loving the stitching - despite your 'tension' rage - it's always a pain when the sewing machine plays but you can't tell from the finished results!

Thank you for your comments on my blog - they mean the world!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Gorgeous!!!

Kimmie said...

I love love love your atc's!!! fingers crossed here that I get one of yours :)
Your peeled paint outcome is fabulous .... and that is one of my most favorite quotes! wonderful wonderful job!!!!

Rosie said...

Jo, it doesn't appeal to me as a technique either!! There are those who excel with this one and those of us who don't. I have seen an easier and less intensive way of achieving the same effect with contact glue and paint. However, you have made lovely ATCs and I am sorry now that I didn't have time to take part!!

Amelia said...

oooh sounds like a good site to visit, thanks for the tip.

Have you ever tried crackle glaze on art-work for different effects? It's good fun to work with even if it is meant for furniture etc!

Lovely work here and hope you're feeling much better too.

Amelia.x

missy k said...

Jo

These are gorgeous..... I didn't take part this month. The days are seeming like they have less hours in them at the moment!

Happy swapping!

Karenx

Dawn said...

Now i love the peeled paint effect on yr ATCs I can really see it! I must go to the TT and have a play I love techniques lol

Love Dawn xx

LiveArt said...

WOW,wow and wow, these are soooo awesome!! LOVE your work!!

Hugs,
Linda