Tuesday, 20 July 2010

....therefore x=y inchy

This week at inchybyinch the inspiration letter of the alphabet is 'x'. This brought back not-so happy memories of maths lessons with Mr Griffiths in the 1970's, in my Secondary Modern, subsequently Comprehensive, School. A large overbearing man, Mr Griffiths ate chalk at the front of the classroom and threw the board rubber (in those days made of solid hardwood) and/or spitty chalk at any poor soul who failed to understand the maths lesson of that day, shouting his disgust at your existence. Very often, of course, this was me. The image of the maths teacher on this inchy reminded me of Mr Griffiths, and the x=y stuff remains as incomprehensible to me today as it did then. I seem to have got by without it.

15 comments:

SusieJ said...

Great inchy Jo! The world of Maths was not my strongpoint either!
Sue xx

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Thanks for making me laugh tonight! Also it brought to my mind some math memories,.. like my math teachers, tho none can come close to yours! Wonderful inchie Jo! Hope your week is full of great moments! ~ Katie

Miss Iowa said...

LOL! I can relate. My 8th grade "math" teacher was in name only; he was actually a gym teacher who couldn't find a PE position. AWFUL! But that's a wonderful inchie you created.

Fiona Whitehead said...

Wow - Jo - what an inspired inchy - fabulous - and yes you brought back memories of 1970's schooling - i can't even remember my maths teacher's name - he obviously left a blank in my consciousness!

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Haha, you and me both, sister!
Math was my nemesis, and not much has changed over the years. I can balance a checkbook and figure out the tip at a restaurant. I haven't found much other use for math, to be perfectly honest, have you? :-)

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Anne

Aino said...

Very clever. Nice work.

daisy said...

Fab! Clever choice of subject, beautifully executed.

daisy xx

Lorraine said...

I like this inchy..great fun

AngelaC said...

Really clever way to use the x & y! Brilliant.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jo,
love your inchy - and do get out you GB!!!
Thanks for your visit.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

bad penny said...

I dreaded maths lessons & it was the only lesson I messed around/ skived lessons/ didn't hand in homework. The blackboard rubber was a lethal weapon wasn't it ? !!!

missy k said...

Hi Jo

Brilliant inchy!

From my maths classroom I could see Crystal Palace footballers training.... say no more!

Love Karenx

Irish3 said...

Fantastic, I love everything about this inchie!!! Very clever!!!

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

Wow, this is so clever!!
I hated maths at school, I had a similar teacher to you Jo!!
Inspirational inchy!!
Jan x

Linda said...

What a great inchie...math was always a trouble for me too!