Sunday, 5 September 2010

In Love (Basic Book Cover Collage)

Part of today's lesson in Collage Coterie is about making a basic book cover collage. The book cover I used is from an ancient copy of Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens. I bought this when I was at school when I was studying it for 'A' Level Eng Lit. I saw this tatty old book (missing the first couple of pages) at a boot sale and having a sentimental attachment to the novel, bought it for 50p. I've carted it round for nearly 30 years and have finally found a use for it!

The cabinet card of the couple is original, as is the photograph of the birds. Although I suspect this was snapped somewhat later it seemed appropriate to use it.

I didn't use any paint with this, just paper, glue and bits 'n bobs.

11 comments:

Dogwood said...

Great.
Fabulous.
Love it.

What fun! Have a wonderful day.

SusieJ said...

Wonderful Jo! Hope my glasses are back soon -I want to get started on this!
Hugs,
Sue xx

missy k said...

Great project Jo.... love all the details, I like how the pair of birds sit happily with the couple above. Cute!

Mary said...

Gorgeous!!!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jo,
this is gorgeous - love it!
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

Ati. said...

I haven't seen the lessons yet. But now I see what you have done, I have to run. Your result is very lovely !!!

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

OMG this is stunning Jo!
All the elements that you have used go so well together. Love the pics and that gorgeous lace!!

Jan x

Relyn said...

Oh, I do love a girl who would drag a tatty old book around for years because she just KNOWS that some day she'll find the perfect use for it. LOVE THAT!

Xela said...

Fantastic collage. I love the pic with the bird. G. Alexandra

Nathalie Thompson said...

The birds aren't as old looking as the couple, but it all works! Love it! You can't go wrong with crochet lace and speckled feathers, especially in the same composition. ha!

bad penny said...

This is lovely Jo