Saturday, 4 September 2010

The Prisoner Of Second Avenue

Grant and I went out on the town last night! We met on the train, went to Covent Garden for pre-dinner drinks in the Crusting Pipe while listening to live classical music buskers, Lotus Classics. Then we went on to Maxwell's for dinner (remind me never to eat bbq ribs out in public again) before trotting along to The Vaudeville Theatre to see the play.

The Prisoner Of Second Avenue is a comedy written by Neil Simon in the early 1970's, and was made into a film starring Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft. Last night's production starred Jeff Goldblum (perfectly cast as a man on the edge) and Mercedes Ruehl (she previously played Private Ryan's mother in Saving Private Ryan). The play was very funny - Neil Simon was such a wordsmith. It was really well observed and the issues are as relevant today as they were when it was written. Grant laughed so much and even today keeps on repeating lines from the play, much to the kids' bemusement.

I was sat next to the mad lady crunching her way through packets (plural) of polos.

We had a lovely evening, the kids survived (Luke cooked them pizza, forgetting to remove the polystyrene underneath even though I had specifically reminded him), and it felt good to be out amongst grown ups! Flushed with this success I think we might do it again soon.........ish!

6 comments:

bad penny said...

I don't know this play at all - thanks for the review.
My kidz did Pizza too while we were out. The only thing they forgot was .... to put the hens to bed ! But all was ok when I got home.
The inn keeper & wife were hilarious in Les Mis weren't they ?
I was staggerd by the lead though - his range was amazng and the young lad too a sort of French Artful Dodger! Garth Gates was good very good as Mrius. I'd definitley see it again xx

SusieJ said...

So pleased you enjoyed your night out Jo and thanks for the review of the play - as we aren't keen on musicals it's difficult to find something to go to.
Sue xx

Jo said...

Oooh Penny, we didn't have Gareth Gates, he must be new! Luckily we don't have hens for the kids to forget - when I phoned Luke when we were on the way home I asked him if he'd fed Rosie, the dog, "Oh......yes," he said. Meaning, "NO!" She had been fed by the time we got in! xx

Dogwood said...

Sounds like a nice evening. Always good to get away and relax. Wishing you a sweet and happy Sunday.

missy k said...

Glad you had a great night out..... sounds like fun. Get another date in the diary while you are on a roll!!!!

ps looking forward to Bouquet of Barbed Wire tomorrow.... LOVED the original back in the day - and a new series of Mad Men.... its not the West End but I love it when all the good TV comes back in the Autumn!!!!

Karenx Good luck at work tomorrow.... I've got one more day off - where did those six weeks go?

Relyn said...

So glad you had this wonderful time. I do LOVE theater. It is always such a wonderful, singular adventure.