Saturday, 30 October 2010

3 French Hens

Top of matchbox
Penny at The Hen House and The Linen Shelf is hosting a 12 Days of Christmas altered matchbox swap  and I chose to do 3 French Hens.
The outside of the box is covered with strips of vintage style Christmas paper, vintage book pages, music and hand written letters.  I then gesso'd them to mute the strong colours.
The 3 'French Hens' inside

Inside the box is lined with vintage French text, and I added a re-sized French postcard of 3 young French girls (from The Graphics Fairy).  I gave each of them a tiny hair sparkle - it will be Christmas after all!
All 12 matchboxes
Each drawer was given a Tim Holtz handle with thread tied round.
Finally I printed off from my computer the '3 French Hens' title, using a vintage French style font.
I enjoyed taking part in this swap and I'm looking forward to getting all 12 days back!

Thank you, Penny!




11 comments:

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

I love your take on the theme Jo! You really have thought outside the box! (excuse the pun!)
I'm also looking forward to receiving 12 fabby matchboxes back :)
Jan x

SusieJ said...

Great work Jo! Gorgeous image and very appropriate!
Sue xx

missy k said...

Jo ..... these look gorgeous. Love all the details.

Karenx

Heavens2Betsy said...

Oh Jo, these are such a delight. Another tiny thing of beauty you've created. I love everything about these. Pen x

Dogwood said...

so so cute. i love what you have created.

happy weekend.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Jo, they look beautiful! Have a great Sunday.
Hugs,
Marie

Pixie said...

those are really nice. This is such a fun project!

daisy said...

Beautiful work ... can't wait to see the whole collection.

Sabrina said...

These are just beautiful!! I have to admit, I hadn't had my coffee yet and the 3 girls AS the 3 French Hens went right past me until I read the comments. How fun to have a surprise inside each one! I hope you share what you get in the swap.

Reminds me that the mail swap is looming!!

bad penny said...

Oh Jo - I'm trying not to look too closely so when I see the real boxes I'll get the full impact but I love how you have made these & obviously enjoyed doing them Thank you !

Irish3 said...

These are so cool!!! I love your 3 French hens, what a great idea and you put them together beautifully! Your swap partners are going to be thrilled.