Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Mail Art

Lenna from Creative Lenna is hosting a Mail Art swap.  I met Lenna on 'Your Vintage Gluebook' and again on 'Collage Coterie'.  She has a quirky fun style, and always has such different ideas. 

I made my 4 envelopes out of cartridge paper using a Judikins envelope template.  I then covered all of them with strips of torn paper - maps, letters, book pages, paper bags, etc.  They were then given a layer of gesso, wiped off when wet to reveal some of the background.  Each envelope was then decorated.  

A Person From England

Title taken from discarded book cover,  original bus and coach tickets, picture of gentleman from book, brown paper bag edging.
Seed-eaters and Insect-eaters

Original bird photograph (blog win from Pixie), egg from book, title from book.  Paper bag edging.
Pussy Cat Pussy Cat


Cat picture from old Ladybird book, original bus tickets, paper bag background.

Cabbage is Good For You

Ladies, wording, price (and Irish Pig Face and Cabbage recipe on reverse) all from original 1950's Everywoman magazine. 

Some of the people taking part have included artwork inside their envelopes, but I haven't really got time for that, so mine will just be the envelope :0(
So these will be going in the post tomorrow, and in due course I'll get 4 back - 3 from other participants and 1 from Lenna herself.  She's making one for every participant (and over 50 have signed up...!).

xxx

9 comments:

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh joanna!!! i love, love, love what you have created for our swap. Each one is so different and creative! No need to feel bad about sending just the envelope, they are perfect as they are! Thank you. Can't wait to hold them!

SusieJ said...

Gorgeous envelopes Joanna.
You put me to shame - I've only managed half a project for the collage coterie - but I will catch up!
Hugs,
Sue xx

agypsyangel said...

These are fantastic. Just wanted to drop by and say hello and see that cute Rosie Mae

Nathalie Thompson said...

These are fun! Love those cabbage eating girls. :)

bad penny said...

These are such fun & all so individual. I love your style xx

Relyn said...

I love that crazy-stern man. And the shopping girls really make me happy. seem to be having trouble blogging every day and visiting all my friends. Still, I did want to come and say hello. Happy end of fall, my friend.

Virginia said...

Just having a blog hop - love all of these - so different!

Hugs

missy k said...

Jo These are fantastic..... I love your different styles - can I have a favourite? I know I shouldn't but it would have to be 'A person from England'.

Karenx

Linda said...

Your envelopes are so much fun...I love your style!