Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Willowing course - Altered Board Book

Altered Board Book
Week 2 of Art, Heart and Healing has two parts, both of which to be completed in an altered board book.

I had a few issues with the preparation of my board book, and I think when I come to work on the next part of the course I'll give the pages a rub down first before I apply gesso. The first instruction of this lesson is to make a transfer of one of my baby photographs, but as I don't have any I decided to use a photograph of a baby bought in a 'job-lot' off Ebay.  I tried to make an acetate transfer first of all, but for some inexplicable reason my printer would not recognise the printer acetate I had, so I had to forget that and went to Plan B which was a paper transfer using gel medium.  I had to have two goes at this as well, but finally got a satisfactory transfer.  Colour and grunge was added with my lovely shiny new watercolour crayons and white acrylic paint, and then 'wishes' for my baby-self.  

This was a very thought provoking exercise, and very frustrating when various processes didn't work, but I have learned a lot.

The other part of Week 2's 'work' is to create some 'Whimsies'.  I've got to go now to watch the video on what that's all about!

14 comments:

Serenata said...

Well I wouldn't know where to start with something like this so I think it looks great and as such a very well done!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I like your board book page very much, Jo. Seems this is a great course for you! I am looking forward to Mary Green's workshop starting Sunday, you will be there, right? I hope so!

Carin said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble with the transfers. I'm working on my first page now and getting quite frustrated. Yours turned out beautifully in the end though, so I live in hope. Love your wishes for yourself and the swirl pattern and heart you've added into the background! Nice touch!

SusieJ said...

Love it Jo.
Def. worth all the effort and your wishes are obviously heartfelt.
Hugs,
Sue xx

daisy said...

Gold star for perseverance!

Looking forward to seeing your whimsies.

A Bun Can Dance said...

This sounds like a great exercise to try, Jo. Your finished creation looks great - I love the colouring.
Your comment at mine made me laugh with your description of the sewing machine !!
Denise x

bad penny said...

I have difficulty with transfers full stop !
I'm sorry that you have no baby photos of yourself to use but hope that the whole journalling process gives you pleasure and satisfaction.
I like what you did x

Sabrina said...

Love your black vines on the pink. I was thinking you were such a sweet baby -- then I read it's not you! My printer did the same thing as yours, I had to use my old printer but that transfer didn't work too well for me anyway.

Looking forward to your whimsy page!

Dogwood said...

Looks like lots of fun. I adore the baby photo.

Smile and enjoy your day...

Heavens2Betsy said...

How exciting this course is. I love seeing what you've made Jo. The baby transfer works really well and I love your gentle wishes for your baby-self. Pen x

trisha too said...

It's beauteous, Joanna!

missy k said...

Great piece Jo....

Heartfelt.

Karenxxxx

agypsyangel said...

I am enjoying the course, hopefully i can get to this part this weekend since it is going to be super cold here with a chance of snow ..in North Georgia, USA.

IDA said...

Beautiful collages :) Each of your collage is amusing :)
Best regards,
Joanna