Friday, 5 November 2010

Willowing course - Altered Board Book, Whimsies

Reach for the Stars!
The second part of Week 2 on the Willowing Course is creating a page in the altered board book for Whimsies.  

I lined the board book pages with printed pages from a discarded book and then gesso'd them, wiping off the excess so the print was still visible.  I put some torn maps at the bottom of the pages to symbolize that the world was at our feet.  Having given the rest of the background a light wash of colour using my watercolour crayons, I stuck on the Whimsies that I had drawn and painted on to watercolour paper.  Their features are deliberately disproportionate.   'I' am in the pink dress and I am reaching for the stars - grabbing life's opportunities and lovin' it!  My friends Rebecca and Rachel are supporting me and believing in me.  Look at my huge pile of stars/opportunities!

I enjoyed this exercise because it's something I hadn't done before.  I don't think I'll be creating many (or any) more Whimsies, but it was good to have a go at something different.

11 comments:

agypsyangel said...

I think it turned out very cute. I did week one but havent gotten a chance to do week two yet. Hope you have a great weekend.
~`Kim

Heavens2Betsy said...

Love your Whimsies and the message they convey Jo. Love too that you've captured so many stars. Pen x

Kellys Art Journaling/ Sharing The Journey said...

Joanna;
Your whimsies are great! I love the idea of the map and the stars! Wonderful!

SusieJ said...

Love these pages Joanna.
Your whimsies are fab.
Hugs,
Sue xx

Sabrina said...

I think this is wonderful. When I see your whimsy and her attitude all I can think is "snaps!". What a great feeling you denote. I hope you do make some more, I think you have the knack!

Relyn said...

These whimsies are wonderful.

bad penny said...

Jo this is fantastic ! Love it - not sure I could do Whimsies - yours are lovely and catching stars so sweet.

Carin said...

Excellent! I love this spread Jo! Your whimsies are fantastic and I just love the message and that you've chosen real friends to support you and the message of this page! That's so great! Love it!

Serenata said...

You DREW your whimsies Jo?? They are fabulous, gosh you'd fall over laughing if I had to draw any!

daisy said...

Fabulous! Luv the little touches, like the star in her pocket & the old map paper.

Lorraine said...

great whimsy drawing. I like your photos too and your ATC. thanks for introducing me to the willowing course and for your comments on my paintings etc