Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Mail Art Swap, Oddities and Charity Shop Chic


You might remember I recently took part in Lenna Andrew's (Creative Swaps) Mail Art Swap?  Well, she divi'd them up and my return selection arrived yesterday in a beautiful envelope decorated by Lenna herself.  I'm SO happy with the ones I received - Lenna worked hard to try and match the various styles with the participant (and there were over 50 participants so it was quite a task!).  The big envelope in the picture with the butterfly stamp and pre-Raphaelite image is the one by Lenna, to the right of that is artwork I had particularly admired on Lenna's blog and is by Cynthia Zdanzukes - what a frosty wintery feel it has.  Below that is Teri Calia's gorgeous envelope, with wonderful images, stamping and even journaling too (and inside were gorgeous tags, lovely paper cut outs and a card with an altered image of a cat).  Lastly, but not leastly, is Linda's - she made the envelope out of an original vintage ledger sheet, and she's added super torn pages and sweet images (and she too had enclosed a vintage Bingo card and milk tokens).  I love the stamped sentiment on the back which says "BE HAPPY EVERY DAY".  I'm certainly happy today!

Lenna is now running another swap, this time it will be vintage cards.  Why don't you pop over to her blog and see what it's all about?  You might be tempted to join in........!

***


I popped in to the Charity Shop yesterday to see my dear friend Louise, and she had saved the 2 mad bunny knitted finger puppets for me.  What can I say?  She saw them and thought of me........!  I had a rummage through the 4 for a £1 basket and found Scary Fairy.  Look at the Little Madam expression on her face - you wouldn't argue with her would you?!  I also found the wonderfully tacky Santa decoration, the green bell with rusty wire (I adore rusty wire), and also a pink sparkly bauble(not pictured) for Hope's room.  The Santa and Snowman pots are to be turned into festive candles (if I stop talking about it and get on with them, that is, or they won't be ready 'til June).


***


I really didn't know what to get Louise for Christmas, and having been unable to get out and about (because of the snow) to get inspired, I made her this little postcard sized hanger.  Louise has a wonderful dress style - she puts clothes together that no other sane person would and ends up looking great, very very quirky and absolutely great!  We giggle about her inner granny trying to get out.  I loved the image I found in an old book - what is the lady on the left, with the superb facial expression, wearing?!  And it really shows how much I love Louise because I used a couple of the fab rusty suspender clips sent to me by Nathalie.  Only very special people qualify for them!
***

24 comments:

Linda said...

What a fun assortment of envelopes you got...I'm so glad we got to exchange one! I love the little hanger you made for your friend Louise...so clever!

SusieJ said...

Love the crafty assortment Joanna - the postcard hanger is briiliant!
And what fab. charity shop finds - ooh,scary fairy!
Hugs,
Sue xx

missy k said...

I'm sure we'd all look forward to the postman arriving a bit more, if all our mail looked this good -(even if it did contain bills!)

I am sure that fairy is the sister of the one on my mum's tree! Love the vintagey bell.

Louise will love the hanging you made... it's really cute and special.

Have a great day, I am staying home today - going to do some baking, building up my nerve for 'the last food shop before Christmas' tomorrow!!

Love Karenxxxxx

Pixie said...

got your gorgeous Christms card this am. Thanks tons! I may just steal your idea for next year!

Hope

arts4all said...

I was excited to receive the envelopes from Lenna's swap, too! Thanks for posting a photo of the ones you received. Today is a day with the grandkids, so we'll be busy with a few errands, want to make a batch of cookies, and I have a surprise art project for us to do together this afternoon.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

Wonderful post, Joanna! thanks so much for sharing what you received in the swap, it looks so great displayed together. Your charity shop finds are amazing, you are so lucky to have Louise helping you out. I adore the hanger you made for her -it is so fun and just marvelous!
happy christmas! lenna

Kristin said...

Looks like a wonderful swap, very fun stuff! btw, I would love to plan a swap for the new year, what shall we swap, postcards seem fun!

A lovely variety of goodies you shared today, always a pleasure to stop on by and see them all :)

It's getting closer! Happy Christmas:)

Kxx

bad penny said...

What a lovely swap & I just love your card for Louise & I love the card you sent me too !

The food shop wasn't too bad I kept thinking Keep calm - people were very helpful though there was a little trolly rage ! Jess was fab we had a trolly each !

bad penny said...

PS I once made a leaving card for a teacher in the school where I was an assistant. I made it out of old Oxfam bags & look like a voucher worth 13 1/2 p ! He loved it !

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

The envie swap looks amazing!
Whooo look at scary fairy!! :)
...and I adore your hanger, those suspender clips finish it off nicely!

Jan x

Serenata said...

The card you made Louise is just great! You have such a good imagination, something I am sadly lacking.

Love the swaps and the little charity shop goodies complete with scary fairy.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

robin dudley-howes said...

Oh this is very cute! Love the clips and is a charity shop a place that sells used items? I'm from the US...haven't heard that term before. Have a lovely Holiday!
robin

Gaby Bee said...

Warm Christmas wishes to you and yours! Health, Happiness and may all of your dreams come true for 2011!

Hugs, Gaby

bad penny said...

Happy Christmas Jo - I hope Scarey Fairy behaves ! See you in the New Year xx

Lynn Stevens said...

So many fun things to play with. 2011 will be a creative year!
Have a Merry Christmas.
hugs Lynn

Kristin said...

Hi Jo! I ahve already commented to this post but I just wanted to wish you an official Merry Christmas on this lovely Eve. I hope you had a successful trip to the grocery store and begin to relax and enjoy the day.

Kxx

Nathalie Thompson said...

SO much to comemnt on! Great mail art swap (the next one sounds good too!) LOVE your charity shop finds (such a happy assortment- made me LoL and just grin)! And a standing ovation for your perfect use of those rusty clips! Louise will LoVe your hanging card.

A very Merry Christmas to you, Jo!
:)

Dogwood said...

Very creative. Darling picture on the card. Great idea.

Have a wonderful festive weekend.

Hugs, Cory

Katie said...

Wow! The mail swap goodies are amazing! What fun- and holy cow- she organized that w/ 50! big job! I love the hanger you made too. Perfect gift. Merry Christmas!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Merry merry Christmas Jo
Hope you have a wonderful holiday
All best wishes for 2011
Love, Carolyn xx

Thank you for my card which arrived on Christmas Eve (how lovely) ... it is so pretty x

penny4thoughts said...

Hi Jo! I was perusing your blog and wanted to say thanks for the 3 French Hens in the 12 Days of Christmas matchbox swap and then I realized that of course, you're Fiddlesnips from Mary's classes! Wonderful matchbox - I love the "hens" in the drawer :-) Penny

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love my Christmas Pressie! and am so grateful to Jo for listening to me moan about how my job hurts my head.. but oh joy, to find such a jewel amongst the c**p a truly lovely person and friend. Joyful Jo, you are a Sunny Hunny, Love ya Louise xx

Margaret said...

Love your mail art, what a great collection! scary fairy is just the best, she made me smile! Fab piece of art finished with Nathalie's clips, perfect! M

~*~Patty S said...

AND you are a thrift shopper too...a rescuer of treasures...a gal after my own heart
LOVE what you've done with Nathalie's suspender clips!
oxo