Friday, 3 December 2010

What's Rocking My World This Friday!


My Rocking My World this Friday mainly concerns..........

 SNOW DAYS!

***

The kids, Grant and I haven't been able to get to school or work since the snow started on Tuesday!  There are no trains, no buses (although we haven't had buses for years now), the roads are far too dangerous to even attempt getting out and the schools are closed.  We're bunkered together and you know what?  We're lovin' it!  We've been doing a mixture of everyday chores, tidying jobs we've been meaning to get round to for a while, watching films, craftin' (me), catching up on snoozing (Grant) and watching the extreme weather around us and on the news.  More snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow, along with freezing rain.  

I spotted a rat scuttling around in the run under our rabbit's hutch this morning - we went out to investigate and found a perfect rat tunnel running through the snow, with a little opening into Clifford's run (they'd chewed some of the wood to make it a bit easier to get in).  Hope thought it was, "so sweet".  We didn't, and have now moved Cliffy's hutch.

Grant, me and Rosie Mae, the best dog in the world.

Me and my girl (I was making sure she didn't run away from the camera).

The best dog in the world, she insisted on coming outside with us.
*
I'm so thankful we have central heating (I'm touching wood here to ensure it doesn't suddenly break down - is that only a British superstition?).  We are as warm as toastie (although not quite warm enough to be walking around in a t-shirt as Luke is!).  

*
I'm so grateful we are all at home, safe and well.  Some poor people are having dreadful journeys, battling with trains or non flying planes.  I really feel for them.

*
Grant's busy putting up blinds in the kitchen - we bought them at least 5 years ago.  We don't like to rush into anything!  Thank you for putting them up, love.  I can hear him muttering away, something about 'lintels', 'rubbish drill', 'stupid drill bit' etc etc......... I just called out to check he was ok, "Yes, fine thank you!" was the reply.  Bless him!

*

I'm relieved that Hope's gradually shaking off her dreadful cough, thanks to Covonia for chesty coughs and lots of rest - her snow days came just at the right time.  

***
Once I've linked this post with Virginia, the Rocking Queen  (click on the button on my sidebar), I'm going to cook some lunch (we're having some very strange combinations but it won't kill us).

Wherever you are, whatever the weather is doing for you (if you leave a comment, tell us what it's like where you are),  keep safe.

16 comments:

SusieJ said...

I know it's not by choice Joanna but that sounds like a pretty perfect week to me!
Does Rosie Mae like the snow? Max (our best dog in the world!lol) is jealous - we've only had a light sprinkling - nowhere near enough for him to have fun in.
Hugs,
Sue xx

Joanna said...

No Sue, Rosie doesn't particularly like the snow but she insists on going out there with us. She then stands and shivers, looking very pathetic. She keeps on trying to lead us back indoors! x

missy k said...

Hi Jo

What lovely snowy pics!

Poor Rosie doesn't look happy!!!!

I agree its so nice to be snowed in - somehow it is just so relaxing. I guess it makes us all slow down somehow. I think we all need a bit of that sometime. Really peaceful.

Food supplies might be an issue shortly!!!! btw are you still baking your own bread?

Still really cold here, -4 apparently, but with wooly tights, leggings, socks, ski socks and three top layers, gloves, a hat, and a scarf and a big coat!!!! I may have looked a bit chubby but I wasn't COLD when I went out!!!!!

I love your 'rockin' posts...

Love to you all

Karenxxxx

Carin said...

Sounds like a pretty nice week! I think we've gotten away with it quite lightly so far- hubby still goes to work (though started taking the car to the train station rather than cycling lol) and Aoife's nursery is still open. I'm still trying to keep us inside, or just in the garden, as much as possible though- the pavements are leathal. We're supposed to get it worse after the weekend.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

lovely post & photos! I had not seen a photo of you & your family before, Joanna. It was so nice to meet you! Oh, and we say "knock on wood" here in the states, too.
Enjoy your snow! Here is Florida I have put on a sweater instead of short sleeves, but No Snow ; ))
xo lenna

Virginia said...

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one having strange combinations when it comes to meals! LOL! Today has been a down tools day for me (I can usually work from home but 10 year old driving me slightly batty so took some TOIL time), I've crafted and we've watched Home Alone 2, I've made home made beef mulligatawny soup (a first) and the me and little man set off doing some baking until he was enticed out by a neighbours son and abandoned me - I didn't mind they've been on with making an igloo LOL! So I've been baking muffins and cookies all afternoon, I've just washed up so my hands are dry and now I'm back to crafting waiting for hubby to arrived home! I hadn't realised how much I missed being at home! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Hugs

Virginia

Pixie said...

did you get my package yet? that poor little guy is going to freeze his bippy off...lol

Tracy said...

Ahhh, I know the feeling; hunker down and just enjoy yourselves...curly up with a book, a cup of tea and cuddle time with the family! Snow is God's way of quieting the world...

Serenata said...

Gosh you have had a lot of snow, how lovely though that you have had time to enjoy yourselves as a family. We haven't even got the blinds for our kitchen yet, so you are one step...no two now, ahead of us! ;-)

Dogwood said...

Glad to hear you and your family are keeping warm, cozy and busy during your snow days. Love the photos you posted.

Jewels said...

Hi Jo - at work I get to talk to many of my colleagues over your way, as well as family relatives who've shared their winter stories. What a challenge! Still it is nice you get this family time - for me, I'd have no excuse for not dialing into work from home (sigh). I know the strange food combos - it actually makes you test how creative you can be. Take care and be safe!

JaN's ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

Great snow pics Jo!!
Aww look at Rosy Mae - bless her!
My Barney loves the snow, some parts of our garden the snow his higher than him now, but that doesn't deter him!! :O
I've been enjoying my snow-in too!! Hubby and boys have been home most of the week also...everything has come to a standstill here too!
... although I'm getting slightly fed up with the white stuff now, all the wet clothes and floors!
Oh, you asked what the frosting was inside the matchbox I made - it is 'Twinklets Diamond Dust'- I've only just recently discovered it myself! Fab stuff!
Jan x

bad penny said...

Lovely photos in the snow - I love how Dods' hair puffs up in the snow.

That is oddy's philosophy to household jobs ... " you can't rish into it " so I live with disrepair, brokeness & shabby ! Our kitchen blinds broke years ago & we've never repaced them. I like the window bare so I can see the garden but it can get a bit hot in the summer !

We didn't get any jobs done - just walks in the snow & ferrying boys & sledges around !

ALL our snow went overnight boo sob sob ...

bad penny said...

sorry about the spelling mistooks ! put it down to " snow Blindness " !

Carmen said...

My lot think we are eating so much better since we got snowed in - roast dinners, bacon roll (the suet pastry kind) more roast dinners - anything to use up what we have in stock. I think they are hoping it stays this way a while *g*

I must admit I've caught up on my crafting while stuck indoors - got caught up a nice bit. Just hope we can revive the car tomorrow now that the rain has despersed the snow a bit :)

Kristin said...

WOW, you got a lot of snow!! It looks beautiful and the family pics are adorable :)