Saturday, 26 February 2011

What's Rocking My World This Friday + 1!


It may be a day late but my Rocking list is nonetheless heartfelt.  So without beating about the bush here is the list of things that have made my week this week.

***

Half Term

I've had a lovely week off school, with a few treats and a generally relaxing time. 

DD Hope and I went up to London to see War Horse.


Based on the novel by Michael Morpurgo, this show was absolutely stunning.  The life size horses are actually puppets - not Sooty and Sweep type puppets - manned by 3 actors, as the head, heart and hind quarters.  These creatures move and act so much like real horses that you very quickly forget you are looking at puppets and see them as the real thing.  The following Youtube clip gives an idea of how clever they are, although of course it doesn't capture the magic of the show.


The play is the love story of a boy and his horse, Joey, and follows Joey to France during World War One.  Incredibly moving, I confess to shedding a few tears.  This show is ending its run in London soon and is moving to America - so anybody reading this from the USA, if it's going to be anywhere near you I can strongly recommend you see it.

*
DS Luke, DD Hope and I had a very successful trolley dash round Primark.



Both the kids are growing faster than I can keep up with.  They  both chose some great clothes, and I even got Luke to try them on while he was there - "Really, Mum?"  Yes, Luke, really.  Hope has decided she is going to champion 'Geek Chic' in a big way so bought herself some Brainy Specs for 50p.  Just plain glass in those frames, you understand, but apparently they make her clever.



Quite what the dog hat does, apart from making her look cute,  I have no idea - more on that later.

*

Hope and I went along to the Make It! craft fair yesterday, in Hampshire.

This fair is full of stands with paper crafting and beading/jewellery making supplies.  Several stands are offering demonstrations to whet your appetite.  


Both Hope and I managed to find a few bits and pieces to purchase.  I thought Hope was going to hyperventilate over some fuzzy-wuzzy beads at 50p a bag!  She also bought herself the dog hat and a zebra hat.  She's into hats at the moment...........

*
The book I'm reading at the moment is making me laugh so much I cry with laughter.


  There's poor DH Grant trying to read his tense thriller and he has me snorting and gulping next to him.  I think I kinda kill the atmosphere.




This book is written by the rescue dog of Roy Hattersley (MP and latterly Lord), and his canine view on life is just SO FUNNY!  I picked this up in a charity shop (I had been looking out for it having read the sequel some years ago - doing things back to front as usual), and if you should see it and you are a dog lover, buy it!

*

I'm really happy to have been one of the first 3 people to ask to swap ATC's with the very talented Kimberly, of ArtJoyStuff (see button on sidebar).  She's starting a new weekly swap in which she will make and offer to swap 3 ATC's with other bloggers.  I got in there quick this week!  The theme is 'Bluebird'.  I'll show you when I've made mine.


I'm also going to be swapping ATC's with Kristin from Places, Things and Me.  We're making 2 ATC's with the themes of Women and Travel.  I'm going to be busy!

*

I've almost finished my Pay It Forward gifts.  I've made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm nearly there.  Just a few more days and they'll be coming your way, my patient 5!

*
TV programmes I'm really enjoying at the moment -

Mad Dogs

Marchlands

South Riding
*
No Zumba this week, despite the best laid plans :0(  so I'm going TWICE next week, ha ha ha ha!!!!!!  I'm so going to die.

***
I hope you enjoy the remainder of your weekend.  I'm going to leave this post's link with Virginia, Rocking Queen.  Fancy joining in to remind yourself about the positive things 
in your week? 
Come on in, the water's lovely and warm!

XXX

17 comments:

The Scrappy Tree said...

Lots of good stuff this week! Loving the look of the 'horse' show, how wonderful!

craftattack said...

I have enjoyed reading your news and chat, and the *Warhorse* sounds great, hope we get it in the cenemas here sooner or later. Have a great weekend! Valerie

missy k said...

Jo what a fun week.... we are enjoying Mad Dogs too.... I especially liked it the other week when PG jumped in the pool ;)

Karenx

Joanna said...

Naughty, naughty, Karen!!

Tracy said...

Gosh, sounds like you've had a fun week! I hope you enjoy your weekend now that school will be beginning soon. I would love to see the movie when it comes to the states; I'll keep a watchful eye!
:)

Monica said...

thanks, loved the craft fare.
Watching this week Any Human Heart. if i could stay awake it might make sense, blame the wine.

Joanna said...

NB War Horse was a stage play. It is going to be a Steven Spielberg film later on this year!

SusieJ said...

What a lovely week!
Loving the hat chosen by Hope (and the specs).
Buster's book is on my "to read" pile and I'm enjoying "South Riding" too.
Hope your weekend is a sgood as your week.
Hugs xx

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Today is a day that I've needed an 'escape' and I've loved reading what you've been up too--It's given me a lift, and for some reason, I'm drawn to that hat and I know I would enjoy the book! :) I hope you've had a good weekend!!

Katie said...

What a great week,Jo! I love Hope's hats. I've gone through many a hat phase too!

bad penny said...

War Horse is spectacular isn't it ? those puppeteers inredible that they simply disappear leaving the horses to move alone.
Hope looks great ! Is tha Coleen Nolan at the fayre inthe green top ?
When is Bad Boys on ? I've missed it though did see the trailers - my kind of thing especially with those brill actors.

Can't wait for south riding. First I'm going some meditaion thing with " singing bowls " !!!

Great list Jo have a lovely week x

Susan T said...

Lovely week Jo, really envious you got to see 'War Horse'. Your daughter has the most gorgeous eyes, with or without specs! full of laughter and kindness.

Loved the sound of the book, will have to look out for it.

Need to google 'Marchlands' looks interesting.

Heavens2Betsy said...

Sounds like a beautifully well spent half term Jo - its a delight to read all about it. War Horse looks fantastic. Zumba x 2? My heart goes out to you. Just thinking about zumba makes me weary... I'm more a pilates kinda girl! Seems we share similar taste in tv! Pen x

Fiona said...

Ohh half term! yayy!! Great list Jo!! I love hope's glasses and hat, I got a pair of them for myself!! hehe!!

Hope you have a lovely week ahead!!

Virginia said...

fabulous list this week - love them all - the play sounds amazing I'd read some great reviews on it - glad it was as good as you'd hoped! The photo of your daughter was great - my niece is soooo into geek chic at the moment!

Hope you've had a fabulous weekend!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Wow, what a fun packed week! Those War Horse puppets are so clever (thanx for the clip).
Loving Hope's hat choices (I do love a hat also!)
..and a craft fair too - Lucky you!

Jan x

arts4all said...

Wonderful newsy post - feel as if I know you though we haven't actually met! Thanks for the mention of "War Horse" - the book is at my local library and I've requested it - seems a bit like a "Black Beauty" sort of story. The play sounds incredible - the closest it is in the US is in NYC - too far from me. What a production - watched several clips of the puppets in action and they are amazing!