Friday, 18 February 2011

What's Rocking My World This Friday!


I've got a spring in my step today.  It's Friday, of course, and I've got a lot to have a spring in my step about.

***

The first signs of Spring are starting to appear - there are snowdrops on the verges, crocus's in the garden, leaf buds on the honeysuckle, the evenings are starting, just starting, to get lighter, and together they are promising signals that the long winter is on its way out.  Hooray.

*

It's the half term holiday which hasn't come a moment too soon.  It's a week, a whole precious week, and DD Hope and I have got a couple of nice treats planned (War Horse and a paper crafting fair), a bit of catching up with friends, haircuts for Hope and DS Luke, and generally trying to pack in too much.  It'll be fun.

*

Darling Rosie Mae has had a bath AND hair cut so she smells and feels gorgeous.  She wasn't happy about it but I think she's forgiven us now.

"I'm not asleep, Mum, I'm just resting my eyes."

Why are you snoring then, baby girl?


"Oh hello Mum, it's you."



"I'm actually rather sleepy."


"I'll just rest my eyes again, Mum.  Ok?"

Yes, Rosie, that's fine.  It's tiring work dragging your bed around and guarding the family.
And you'll get no help from 'she who must be fed....'


"What's for lunch?"


"What's for tea?"


"I'll just rest my eyes until you go into the kitchen."


"I'm half starved, you know."


"It's been a whole hour since I was last fed.  Outrageous."

*

Luke's cooking One Pan Chicken tonight - I think he was attracted to the 'throw it all in a roasting tin' bit.  There's a bit of cajun spice in there, sage, and butternut squash amongst other veggies.  It looks rather tasty.  He's also making fruity bread and butter pudding (I just want him to know how easy it is to make).

Hope's planning on making a Gooey Chocolate Pudding tomorrow.  She likes her chocolate, that girl!

*

Against all the odds I survived another session of

ZUMBA!


My friend Lyndsey went again as well and we were laughing so hard it was difficult to breathe and 'Zumba' at the same time!  The workout is still impossible but a more manageable impossible than last time.  I'm sure my feet are not designed to move that fast.  Especially with arms moving at the same time.  

I was still rather red when I got home, which was a cause of concern for DD Hope, but half an hour slumped in a cold shower sorted that out.

*
I enjoyed a get together with my friend Sue this morning.  

I've known Sue since Hope's first day of infant school when she arrived with her daughter Ciera.  Ciera and Hope have been best friends ever since, surviving the ups and downs of girlie friendships and although they now go to different secondary schools, and unfortunately see each other less frequently, they remain firm friends.  

Sue and I have also remained firm friends and this morning we caught up over coffee (too much coffee for me, resulting in the beginning of a migraine only just avoided with tablets and a quiet sit down).

*

I had a dry fan, you know.
It has been screaming at me for ages now which has made cooking with the oven rather a trial.
Steve, the oven man, came this week and has fitted a new fan.  A German one which is, apparently, much more efficient.
It's certainly much quieter.  Phew!

*

These are the highlights of the week for me. Simple things maybe but, for me, they add up to a happy life.

***

I'm going to post this with Virginia (Rocking button on right hand sidebar) and then I'm going to sit down with DD Hope, a cup of tea and a biscuit, and we'll mull over our day. 
 I'd ask DS Luke to join us but he's plugged into every form of media in his bedroom and sudden disruption from this sound and vision can result in permanent trauma, apparently;0)

Wishing you all a lovely weekend.

XXX

19 comments:

bad penny said...

Luke is becoming a dab hand at this cooking lark isn't he ? We can't decide what on earth to eat tonight.
Rosie Mae looks so sweet all cuddled up and I like the "what's for tea" pic.

Jow used to say, " I'm not going to sleep...I'm just resting my eyes" all the tme when he was litle and promptly fall asleep !
Have a lovely week xx

missy k said...

Hi Jo

I didn't know YOU could have too much coffee!!!!

I agree its so nice to feel spring so close..... and I am loving the fact that now its nearly five and not at all dark.....

Well done for making it to Zumba again :)


Have a happy half term... hope Lukes dinner is as yummy as it sounds....

Enjoy that chocolate cake tomorrow :)

Love to you all

Karenx

joy said...

Have a wonderful week with your family - a papercrafting fair would be the ticket for me right now!!! Your son is learning to cook some real feasts from the sound of it.

Great post, Joanna!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I'm grinning here across the way . . . you write a delightful post, Joanna! I love to read your Friday posts.
Zumba is . . . very fast paced, to say the least, eh? It does get better and you can just have fun in the meantime. I'm glad to hear you went again!
xo lenna

SusieJ said...

Ooh - wish I could find a Zumba class - sounds like fun (if exhausting!).
Loving the pics of Rosie-Mae - it takes Max a while to forgive us for bathing him too.
Your half-term plans sound great and well done Luke for cooking again. DS used to suffer the same trauma if unplugged from his gadgets.
Speaking of which..much hilarity here after your comment on my blog...my 3 boys are OH (David), DS (Nick) and Max. Sorry! I tremble at the thought of 3 teenagers -I could control classes of teenagers but not the one at home.
Have a fabulous weekend and half-term Joanna. Can't wait for the next collage exercise and I'm cropping all day tomorrow.
Hugs xx

Virginia said...

Loving your post - tea sounds yum - so does Hope's chocolate dish tomorrow - I miss chocolate - quite a lot actually! Love the photos of your pets they seem to have got an easy life!

I too am looking forward to half term week - just need to recover mentally from today LOL

Have a good weekend

Hugs

Virginia

Katie said...

We started getting the crocus buds here in Washington too. So glad to see them- the sun and warmer weather will be close behind, I hope. Enjoy all your mid year break activities! A paper craft fair sounds like a good one!

K said...

Half Term hols are on my list this week as a well, lol.
Loving the signs of spring as well, I saw my first snow drops of the year this morning.

Tracy said...

hah, I had to laugh..you might have a spring in your step but your dog and cat; nada, nope, no spring there at all!
come on over to my place to see why I have a spring in my step!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, I love your pictures--and you're so brave to do zumba!!! It looks like it's such a big workout!!!
XO

Susan T said...

Love your post and your photos. How on earth do you get them to look a natural colour, everything I am taking at the moment comes out blue. I think I have pressed something I shouldn't.

Don't brag. Spring might have sprung in Kent but here in deepest Lancashire it is keeping it's hat on. I will be posting Spring photo's when everyone else in in Summer.

That Zumba lark looks exhausting. I concur with your darling pets - sit it out and if you are lucky someone will eventually feed you!

Have a great weekend X

Carmen said...

Oh Joanna you had me laugh out loud at your furry friends musings. My two muttleys are just the same. That is a real unamused look on puss cats face.

Lucky you with all the food prep - sounds yum!

And thank you for noticing, I do feel like a different person this week. Whatever it was, thank goodness it's gone. I felt so unlike me it was scary.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

Dogwood said...

Love you doggie and kitty photos.
Our pets are the best.
Smiles to you and enjoy your weekend.

Fiona said...

I always love your posts!! I adore your two pets, they are gorgeous! The food sounds yummy!! I hope you have a lovely weekend/ week ahaead!!

xxxxxx

Kristin said...

Sounds like cooking lessons are going well and that Spring break will offer a great opportunity for some family time and great picture moments! Enjoy!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I enjoyed the imagined thoughts of your four legged fur children ~ it was perfect! You have got it going on with all your activities, I agree with you about Zumba. Hope your break is wonderful!
Blessings ~ Katie

Stacey Steimle said...

how nice to cuddle up and "rest your eyes" !!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Hey Jo, your week sounds fun filled and your family are obviously treasures! Almost another week gone and another 'rockin' to look forward to. I, too, can't wait for the onset of Spring and am cherishing all the little signs of her imminent arrival appearing in my garden. I will be planting my first seeds today .... bliss! Pen x