Saturday, 16 April 2011

Postman's Knock - sent and received.


The second batch of Postman's Knock postcards were posted yesterday and the one I made has been received and I have also received the one made for me.

The theme I was making for this time was 'Rust' and it was for Sue.

"You rest you rust" by Helen Hayes

I found the quote by the actress Helen Hayes, 
"You rest you rust".
I made a paper collage background, lightly gessoed.   On top of this I did a gel medium transfer of Helen Hayes 
(I was really pleased how this came out, 
not having been very successful before).
I stamped the quote onto masking tape 
which I tore into strips and stuck on.
I edged the postcard with Distress embossing powder, 
creating the circular rust marks the same way.  
Finally I coated the card with several layers of Mod Podge.  Interestingly, when I did this the masking tape 
became quite see through.

*
I have also received the next interpretation of my theme, 
"Yee ha! Ride 'em Cowboy", 
this time created by Jill.

(back)

Jill explained to me in an email that she made her way across America in Greyhound buses in 1977 and had kept a bagful of ephemera from that time, convinced she'd need it sometime - she was right!  She was also rather worried that it was too tatty - well as you know, as far as I'm concerned there isn't anything that can be too tatty!

(front flap)
She used original maps, Greyhound bus information, superb images, and a lot of thought!
This front flap opens to reveal this..........



which further opens up to reveal this........







Then on the left hand side you see this.........


which opens up to show this........


and this is in the middle.

I think I've shown it all - I tried to photograph it in its entirety but it didn't really work.

This superb panoramic postcard is an absolute treasure, and treasure it I will.

Thank you, Jill.

14 comments:

craftattack said...

The postcard you have made is really stunning, love everything about it. And that vintage stuff you have received - wow, wow, wow! Enjoy!
Valerie

Menopausal musing said...

Both the given and received cards are just lovely. A lot of thought and work gone into both and it is great watching this project unfold and see different interpretations of set themes.......

trisha too said...

You are in the BEST swaps!!

:)

Heavens2Betsy said...

I Love these Jo! Your 'If you Rest' piece is divine and your Horse ones are fantastic too. Trisha is quite right! penny x

missy k said...

I love your rust postcard - what a great quote!!!

Dedication indeed keeping ephemera since 1977! If that was me I'd never be able to find it when I finally wanted it!

I agree the finished piece is 'treasure' indeed.

Karenx

Carmen said...

Both are simply stunning. Love yours for all the rusty grunginess and love the one you got - it's just so clever!

SusieJ said...

Love your interpretation of rust (what a fabulous quote!).
And wow! That cowboy mail is something else. I do so love seeing your swaps.
Hugs xx
p.s. I do have ephemera from the 60's, 70'sand 80's and 90's...just wish I could remember where they are!lol

Lenna Young Andrews said...

Very cool post card Joanna -love love love your Helen Hays quote! And Jill's is amazing! Thank for sharing.

Dogwood said...

Wow. Wow. wow.
Wonderful.
Love the quote.
So true!

bad penny said...

You'll have to explain all the Gel Medium & mod podge to me sometime but I like it ! Love your quote and card and lovely to see what you received xx

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jo,
your card is beautiful - love the quote!
Jill's work is wonderful!
Have a great day.
Hugs,
Marie

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

You did an amasing job, Joanna! I loved it! I mean it!

I still think you should make a BIG one, frame it, and put it on the wall. Can you imagine how cool it would look?

Love ya!

Dezinaworld said...

Fantastic postcard your work is so pretty i love the attention to detail!
Hugs June x

Susan Allan said...

I love your creation, Helen's quote is so true!!
You have also received a very interesting creation! Thanks for sharing!!
Sue xx