Monday, 16 May 2011

Creative Swaps - Little Books sent

They are done, finished, packed up and sent.

Hopefully they will get to Lenna, who hosts Creative Swaps, in the USA in time for the cut off date (June 18th).  
When I mentioned my concern to DH Grant that it might not get there in time he laughed and said, 
"Where does Lenna live, Mars?"  
But we know, don't we girls, 
how our special mail disappears for AGES 
and then mysteriously reappears months later!  
For that reason I didn't send these books in a 
Mail Art envelope (sorry, Lenna!), 
I just didn't want to give it 
any excuse for being late.


Anyway, I digress.....

You may have noticed that there was a certain
Royal Wedding in the UK recently?
Still flushed with Royal Wedding fever, I decided to use the Royal Wedding as my theme, not the recent one but the one in 1947.
The wedding of 
Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten.
Yes, the young couple who became (any Brits please stand)

Her Majesty the Queen 
and the 
Duke of Edinburgh.


I made 3 very similar books.
Silly me forgot to measure them but they are 
about 3" square.
The outer cover is from the cover of a vintage
 Woman magazine from the same era.


The inner pages are made from a random mix of music score, dressmaking instructions, hymn book pages, encyclopedia pages, doilies 
and real gold leaf 
(ha ha, not really -  it's just gold coloured paper!).


A little bit of dress (something blue) and veil.
Thank you, Maj for the kind donation ;o)


No kiss on the balcony in 1947 - 
it would have been unseemly.


The uneven sized pages are held together with a 
bias binding stitched spine.


They have been married for over 60 years.

I have suggested to Lenna that she keep one of the little books (if she wants one, that is), and just puts 
the other 2 in for the swap.
I'm looking forward to getting my 2 return swap 
books back in due course.

Lenna has received quite a few little books from participants from all over the world, click HERE for a sneaky peek.

XXX

18 comments:

Margaret said...

oh stunning!! I love this little book so much, just beautiful and you've used the images so well!
I watched the latest wedding with the kids, we ate slabs of vanilla ice cream with red and blue Union Jack stripes out of smarties! I bought cutout Wills and Kate dolls and we dressed them for the occassion! so much fun!

Mx

Jeanie Callaghan said...

This is wonderful-and very creative.

Heavens2Betsy said...

These are beautiful Jo. What wonderful keepsakes. I do so love being unseemly myself ... I could teach her Maj a thing or two. Shh! Don't want to end up in the Tower! pen x ps table salt aint gonna cut the mustard baby.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Your little books are wonderful,Jo!! Love them. Isn't his 90th Birthday coming up?
God bless them.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

craftattack said...

Great little books, this swap is such fun! Love your *Royal*theme, too! Hugs, Valerie

sugar Creek said...

Wow you have put alot of detail in those! For only being 3 inches, that's great work!

SusieJ said...

Great little books Joanna - love the theme and you've packed so much into them.
Hugs xx

Pipiluciana said...

Those are beautiful! I love all your blog posts, great job, it's so fun to see all your creativity.
Thanks for sharing! I love Philippa Gregory books too, she's such a great writer.

Susan Norwood said...

I LOVE your little books. They are so special! Whoever receives these is very lucky!

Scrappy Grams said...

If that royal wedding was televised, I would have missed it because we didn't have a TV in our home till I was in junior high school. (During my time, that was grades 7-9.) I'm sure photos of it would have been in the newsreels at the movie theaters.

Scrappy Grams said...

Oops! The little books are exquisite! What fun it would be to receive one.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

Oh Joanna, I swoon at the sight of these royals! What perfect *little* books! Don't worry, I am making 3 books myself and I will be trading with you for sure. I always love your style, even when your creations do not include real gold leaf!
My, my your husband is fresh today! Tell him I live in Florida, not on Mars : ) Sometimes I get mail from the UK in as little as 4 or 5 days and other times it may take 2-3 weeks. Not sure who is making those decisions, but hopefully not any of the grumpy post office or royal mail carriers! Fortunately my mail carrier is a really sweet and smiley guy who enjoys my wild mail. I will let you know when your beauties arrive. xo

Serenata said...

They are fabulous Jo, you are amazingly clever - if I tried to do anything with paper, it would just end up like a toddler had randomly stuck bits of paper down with no rhyme or reason (okay they would have had a reason I'm sure) whereas yours are simply a work of art!

Susan T said...

Just read a bit about Tracy Emin in the paper. Who on earth thinks she is artistic - pah.

I am waiting for you to be discovered!!

So lovely.

xxxxx

Susan Allan said...

I love little books and these are gorgeous. I think we have all got wedding fever. It was a lovely wedding, Kate and William's wasn't it?

Thank you for your lovely recent comments.
Take care and have fun!
Sue xxxx

Irish3 said...

Arrgghh I've been trying to post comments for a couple days but Blogspot has gone all wonky on me... I wanted to tell you that I love these little books of royal love with all the sweet details and story. Very inspiring! Can't wait to see what you get back! Have a great week, raining here for 5 or 6 days straight.. makes for long days. Maybe I'll get a lot of craft time in!!

missy k said...

What happy little books.... I love ALL the details :)

bad penny said...

These care little pieces of history and very sweet. I'd love to see them for real. Hope they arrive safe & sound xx