Monday, 16 May 2011

I sent Mail Art!


Silly blogger lost my original post about my Mail Art,
this is a copy.....


At last it was my turn to send out Mail Art to the other girls in the Mail Art group, with the theme of
'Where I live'
and everyone will now have 
received their envelope.

I live in the UK, 
in the county of Kent 
which is commonly known as 
'The Garden of England'.

In my mail I wanted to bring out this 
green and floral aspect of Kent.

The envelopes are all very similar but 
they have subtle differences.

First of all I covered the blank envelopes 
with pages from a local paper.


Next, I photographed my front door and made a gel transfer (making sure to 'flip' the image so both it
 and the house number would end up the right way round).

I LOVE gel transfers!


Then I stuck on a map of the South East of England, 
circling 'my' area of Kent.


I then cut and stuck lots and lots of pictures of flowers, 
plants, and gardens (from tatty old Ladybird books).



I stamped the word 'Kent' using mixed fonts,  an arrow with the sentiment"All roads lead to my door," and one of my 
Tim favourites, 'Enjoy the Journey.'

On the reverse of each envelope I did a Union Jack gel transfer with my return address information.


Inside the envelopes I enclosed some brochures of local places of interest, some postcards, and a personally written sheet explaining a little about this local area.

XXX

19 comments:

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Love these. What a great idea!

craftattack said...

Totally cool and gorgeous - lucky recipients! Hugs, Valerie

Jane Housham said...

How gorgeous -- and what an enormous amount of work! PS: I've posted my Postman's Knock one early to you, as I was nervous it might not be delivered on Sat if I sent it tomorrow, so don't be alarmed if it comes early. Hope you like it!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

What can I say....Amazing...so much work!
Your gel transfers came out fab! Love how you used the local paper has a base!
Jan x

Joanna said...

I intended that the newspaper would be more visible so carefully chose appropriate pages - I really shouldn't have bothered!

Monica said...

Wow, that is exquisite. your layers are spectacular. lucky recipients.

sugar Creek said...

Oh so beautiful! You did alot of work, alot of great work! Love it!

Sabrina said...

Jo - these are incredibly rich and gorgeous!!!! Surely you are delaying the post as the workers are pausing to oohh and ahhh over these.

I have to stop reading your blog in my Google Reader because I'm missing all the beautiful new backgrounds when I do that. This current one is vibrant and wonderful, and the cat . . . My Bramble Paw is doing that very thing right at this moment!

Scrappy Grams said...

Layers of such loveliness!
I've not heard of gel transfers. Do you get them at a craft store? Very interesting effect.

Virginia said...

Absolutely gorgeous and they will be a sheer delight to receive!

SusieJ said...

Fabulous Joanna! Love them. Now can you explain what a gel transfer is and do I need to know how to do it?lol
Hugs xx

Susan T said...

What a lovely door and such a pretty colour - we have an ugly white plastic yucky thing with horrible glass in - keep hinting to husband that we need a nice wooden door - must stop spending all our dosh on other things though.

Gorgeous work as ever - so much thought and imagination - you are a clever lady you know.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

So loved how you made them, Joanna. I would not have figured out for quite some time this was a transfer of your very own front door. I really enjoy receiving your mail art!! It is beautiful and creative. Your readers can catch a glimpse of the contents on my blog!
Happy Day and thank you again! Lenna

Kellys Art Journaling/ Sharing The Journey said...

Love it!

Letticeleaf said...

Call me dim, I don't mind!

What is a gel transfer? And where do I get them?

Love your Mail Art.

Popped in to see what the name of that magazine was? At least I thought I saw it here?

I'll send this, then super-sleuth a bit more. LLX

Heavens2Betsy said...

I love this Jo! I don't know how I've not managed to see it before. I still write my address as Hayes Kent ... because it was once, before 'they' decided it was Bromley! Your gel transfer front doors are amazing and I like that you circled your homestead. Beautiful. pen x

Jewels said...

Wow Jo this is just lovely. I'm also working on an envelope and was going to try gel medium trick - pop me an email and let me know how you did yours (I have ink jetted images on to transparencies but that is as far as I got). I think the layering on yours is just awesome...J

bad penny said...

Brilliant ! Not tried Gel transfer so must having seen what you've done here !

Carmen said...

Just gorgeous Jo - I can only imagine what the various posties handling this must have thought - it's fantastic.