Monday, 2 May 2011

Postman's Knock - sent


It's that time again, for the Postman's Knock postcard swap.

It was my turn to make one with the theme of
'Taking Flight'
for Lesley.


Using a blended paper and gesso background, I did a gel medium transfer of a lovely bee 
(many thanks to The Graphics Fairy).
Would you believe it, but this came out absolutely perfectly and this was the one time when I wanted to distress it quite a lot!  So having transferred the image I set about distressing it with a small sanding block.  With a soft cloth I then polished and polished and polished to get a totally smooth finish.

I composed a Haiku poem

"Humming to herself
Her spirit soaring free, soon
she was taking flight."

printed it off on vintage paper and stuck it onto the bee.

I 'grunged' the edges, added corner markers and further gesso'd this to soften the effect.

I then gave it a couple of coats of Mod Podge to protect it, although I sent this one in an envelope because the last 2 sent 'naked' got damaged in the post.

*

I know that Penny has sent the one she has made for me (with my chosen theme of 'Yee ha! Ride 'em cowboy!')
but the Bank Holiday weekend has delayed it's delivery:0(

I know it'll be gorgeous and I can't wait to get it.

XXX

20 comments:

Heavens2Betsy said...

Oh Jo, this is so exquisite. I love your bee and the way she is blended so beautifully into your background. I am off to find out about blended paper ... sounds and looks gorgeous. Your haiku is perfect too. pen x

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jo,
this is stunning!Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

craftattack said...

Lovely work, your bee has really come out a queen bee. And I love the Haiku, too. Did you get post from me? I sent it off last week....Valerie

Joanna said...

Not yet, Valerie:0( I'll let you know when I receive it.

x

missy k said...

Hi Jo

What a great postcard, your transfer turned out beautifully.

I love your 'words' and the different fonts but I don't really get the whole 'Haiku' thing.... I will have to investigate :)

Still no rain..... totally amazing!!!!

Love Karenx

Monica said...

I would love to see this as the technique sounds interesting and very successful.

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

Hi Karen,

Haiku is, simply put, a poem of in three lines of five, seven, and five. Proper Japanese Haikus are limited to the number of syllables too (17, I think), but English ones tend to be more flexible on this matter.

Hope that helps!

x

sugar Creek said...

Now that is just beautiful!!

daisy said...

Fabulous in every way!

trisha too said...

Your bee is AMAZING!

:)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I can't wait for you to get it either!! :-))

I hope your day is going well!! THANK YOU for your kind comments on my blog--I really appreciate your stopping by!!!

Carmen said...

Oh this is just gorgeous Jo! Just gorgeous - however could you bare to part with it! I'd have framed it!

MaygreenFairies said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Mandy x

Katie said...

What an amazing and beautiful card. And way to give it its own Haiku. so nice,Jo!

Gaby Bee said...

Gorgeous card! Your transfer turned out great Jo!

Have a lovely week!
Hugs,
Gaby

Lynda Howells said...

just found your blog..love it. Long time ago l used to live in Kent..Rainham, when my children were tiny. x lynda
http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com
and
http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

Lenna Young Andrews said...

This is lovely, jo. Isn't that the way -the transfer comes out perfect when you wanted it a little wonky??? It looks great!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Wow, this is beautiful, and the poem is perfect. I agree with Carmen, this should be framed - a work of art!!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

I loved it!Tons!
xoxo