Thursday, 30 June 2011

I sent mail art!

It's my turn to send off Mail Art to the Mail Art gals in 
the USA and Australia.


The theme this time was
'Birds, Bees and Butterflies.'


I started off by covering a plain white envelope 
with brown packing paper.


I Distress Stained the edges and then rubber stamped a 
bee image all the way round the outside.
I dry brushed with gesso.


I used water soluble crayons to add colour, and
roughly brushed Lumiere paints on the edges
(can you see their metallic sheen?).


I stuck the image of a bird on each envelope
(from a book given to me by DD Hope at Christmas) 
and rubber stamped 3 butterflies which I 
coloured with the water soluble crayons.


The back of each envelope looked like this.


Inside each envelope I popped a few collage 
bits and pieces with the bird, bee and butterfly 
theme in mind.

 They're in the post!

XXX

17 comments:

MrCachet said...

Do you put stamps on them or let the PO use meters? Just curious. I have a book full of postage stamps I've collected along the way, and I try to 'theme' the stamps with the mail art.

Joanna said...

Hi Mr Cachet. I always try and use postage stamps - but sometimes the post office clerk here in the UK are, how shall I put it, less than helpful. I'd love to be able to theme the stamps with the Mail Art but often the only ones available are those with Her Majesty's head on! No pretty pictures :o(

daisy said...

They are all stunning Jo ... hope they all arrive safely at their destinations. I am sure they will bring much pleasure along the way!

craftattack said...

Blogger has been driving me mad all day, couldn't post, couldn't comment grrrrrrrrrrr. Love your mail art! Valerie

sugar Creek said...

Those are beautiful!!I just love that color!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

I loved them all!! So much that I cannot choose a favorite. Great job!!!
xxx

bad penny said...

Jo I have just spent a very happy half hour catching up on your latest posts. Such creativity ! I've lost my crafty mojo but these last pieces were inspirational ! Love the little books so much !

Susan T said...

What beauties going back and forth. What lovely things to get through the post, it would cheer you up on a dull day. So much work goes in to each delicate piece, and they give so much pleasure to the recipient, AND to those like me, who aren't particularily arty but love looking at what other people can do.

SusieJ said...

Wonderful mail art Joanna. Boo to the Post Office not helping with stamps.
Hugs xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

i cannot wait! Love the birds!!!!

missy k said...

Jo these are all gorgeous.... they are going to bring some happy smiles as they journey to their destination!

Love the unusual colourings.

ps so glad blogger is behaving today!!!

Karenx

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jo,
these are all stunning!!!Lucky recipient!!Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Jewels said...

Well done Jo! And thanks for sharing your "techniques" J

Crafty Gal Linda said...

PRETTY, PRETTY. : )

Katie said...

very nice...and thanks for the hints on how to try it too!

Linda said...

My envelope is SO pretty and the little parcel of treats inside is delightful! Love, love, love mail art!

Heather Henry said...

Wow, these are really gorgeous! What a wonderful thing to see when you open your mail box. Happy mail is always my favorite. I would imagine those who received these, smiled the moment they saw it. What a lovely way to brighten someone's day!