Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Postman's Knock - sent and received.


The theme I was working with this time was
'New York, New York'
and the postcard was for Chrissie.


By this stage of the swap, lots of the ideas have 
already been taken, and I initially struggled to 
think of what I was going to do.
Then I decided to look a little into the history of 
New York, and specifically why it is 
called 'New York'.  It turns out that before it was called 
New York it was called New Amsterdam.
Having taken sovereignty of it, King Charles II 
decided, in 1664, to give it to his brother James, 
the Duke of York and it was for this reason that 
it gets the name New York.
The background of my postcard is a map of New York 
and its environs which I gessoed.  Onto this I did a gel 
transfer of the Stars and Stripes, which I distressed.   
I adhered a picture of the Duke of York, and 
added the cheesy 'I heart NY' because I'm sure 
he did 'heart' NY!

I popped 'The Duke' in a  Mail Art envelope.


***
It was also time for me to receive, of course.
Who said giving is better than receiving?  
Obviously not someone in Postman's Knock!
It was Gina's turn to create a postcard 
with my chosen theme of
'Yee ha!  Ride 'em Cowboy!'


Gina printed vintage images of cowboys and a Native American onto fabric.  She hand painted those gorgeous boots, spurs 'n' all and stitched.  
They are absolutely stunning, don't you agree?
And look at the fab Sheriff's badge - that'd be one 
camp cowboy sporting sequins and beads!  
I think I'll wear it to work to remind those darn kids 
who's the boss around here.

(something for the weekend, ladies)
Gina found this image when she was looking for cowboys 
and, quite understandably, couldn't bring herself to put him 
in the bin.  So she kindly sent him to me as a bonus postcard.

Enjoy, ladies!

Thank you, Gina, for both postcards, 
equally wonderful but for very different reasons ;o)

XXX

8 comments:

SusieJ said...

Woohoo! A hunky cowboy. Lucky you!
Loving both projects and your mail art.
Hugs xx
p.s. still giggling about the sparkly badge!

Susan T said...

I do like the sort of postcards you get through the post! yummo. As for your ice cream with strawberry sauce and a cherry on the top, I could just eat one of those after a hard day on one end of a lead.

daisy said...

Thank you for the history lesson! I never knew the background to the name & talking of backgrounds, I just love how you created the one for your postcard with it's faded, muted colours. Fab!

craftattack said...

Lovely post sent and received! And a history lesson to boot, thanks for the info about the Duke of York! Valerie

missy k said...

Your postcard is great.... love the faded colours... fab envelope too.

The kids would love the badge!!! Go on.... wear it tomorrow just for a giggle! I love how the image is printed onto fabric. Really cool and I LOVE the stitching too.

Cute cowboy!!!!

Serenata said...

Lovely postcards and other creations...I seem to have got a bit behind in my blog reading.

Naughty pussy tat poking her tongue out!

MrCachet said...

Thanks for commenting on my marbles! I have to admit, I came here because of the comment, but I'm along for the ride now, since you're a mail art fan!

Jewels said...

In my neck of the woods we call him a "slurpee" (cause your mouth slurps when you look at him, LOL). Love your swap stuff as usual. J