Sunday, 12 June 2011

Summer of Colour - Blue

(Tiffany was a dancer)
The first prompt from Kristin in 
The Summer of Colour challenge 
(click on flashing button on right hand sidebar)
is 
'Blue'.

This is the first page in my Moleskine journal that I'm
 going to work in for the duration of these challenges.

The background is layers of torn papers, painted with acrylic paint,  Mod Podged over the top, then I repeated that process.  I then put thin streaks of gesso on top,  
peeled off strips of the paper
 and sanded through the gesso.
This has resulted in a background with 
some depth and texture.
I read about this process in my lovely new book 
'Collage Journeys' by Jane Davies


(click on book on left hand sidebar for information on author).
Next time I would be braver when peeling off the papers 
to get a more marked effect.

I also used my new Lumiere paints which have given a gorgeous gold sheen 
 (doesn't show up in the photo, 
you'll have to take my word for it).
I got mine, an 'exciter pack' from ebay, and I chose the 
'halo and jewel colours'.
My friend Lenna introduced me to these paints 
and I love them!  
They can be used on fabric as well as paper.


I stamped a Paisley print over the top (you can barely see it but I know it's there!).  The postage stamps were chosen for their size and colour rather than where they were from.

The gorgeous image of the dancer, 
who I have called Tiffany (Tiffany Blue, get it?!)
is from The Graphics Fairy.

I'll post this with Kristin tomorrow and then I'll 
visit the others taking part and see what 
they've created from the 'Blue' prompt.

32 comments:

SusieJ said...

I love blue and I love this - gorgeous image and what sounds like an interesting technique.
Hugs xx
p.s. I'm on the naughty step - haven't done my homework for Claudine.

craftattack said...

Love this, Jo, you have done your first page very well. Mine is finished, too, I uploaded it today. Love the image of the dancer! Valerie

Ann's Art said...

A lovely technique and great result!

sugar Creek said...

She is beautiful! I was thinking of doing this as well. Can I still sign up for it?

Carin said...

Fab-u-lous!!!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

How precious, Joanna. You did such an amazing job! I am anxious to see all that will come of your new enterprise.
Love ya!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Loving your textured 'Tiffany Blue' piece Jo. Great technique and those Lumiere paints are fab aren't they. :)

Jan x

missy k said...

Great layered piece Jo....especially love the image.

Susan T said...

Right I am having another go. Blogger has been refusing to let me leave messages, the swine.

I think Tiffany would put a smile on Mr Steampunks face, she looks quite a gal. I love the almost peacock blue of the background, and all that layering sounds very complicated.

Miss Iowa said...

Uber cool! I love projects like this.

joanna said...

Gorgeous art work! looking foward to seeing more of your work :)

Heavens2Betsy said...

Jo, I love your page. That background is the kind I really admire. Great results you've achieved. Fabulous dancing girl too. pen x

bad penny said...

Jo this is stunning - love it and how you made it was so interesting to read.

Trece said...

Lovely page! I especially like Tiffany. She is a lovely inaugural page for the Moleskine. I finally started mine, but just have layer one (of some??) down.
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment on my 'Blue' blog!

Janet said...

I saw this in the flickr group and had to come see how you did it. Thanks for sharing your process. It looks beautiful!

Kristin said...

This is stunning! All the layers really stand out (have to check out that book, thank you ;) and your central image - Tiffany - is perfect. I am so looking forward to seeing your journal grow. Thanks for playing along, xoxo

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Beautiful! and I love that shade of blue.

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

Hi Jo,
I love this piece, especially the blue you achieved using this process-just lovely, can't wait to see what you come up with next week!
enJOY a lovely week,
Kimberly

laurie said...

beautiful an such imagination,, really cool colors,

Mandy said...

really beautiful...xxx

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Absolutely beautiful,Jo!!TFS.
Hugs,
Marie

Nan said...

Wonderful piece. I love the techniques you used and appreciate all the wonderful info you shared.
Your pets are so sweet! :) Nan

Missy said...

Very cool, love the added stamps!

JessiVille said...

Love Tiffany (my fav color right now)! What a great idea to do a moleskine for Summer of Color. The collaging on this piece is just perfect - love the stamps! Jessi xox

Ella said...

I love your idea; the stamps really make it come alive. The thought of where she has been and what she has done! Fun~

Sandi said...

What fun!

creatingme said...

oh this is fun!

Carmen said...

I adore this. Everything about it. I think I may NEED that book! The image is gorgeous.

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love this. What great texture you have in the background & I think Tiffany is darling. You picked a perfect image. :)

Liette alias Pixelle said...

oh wouawwwww I adore that page...it is so nice color...I will follow you for the green one...the stamp is perfect...;-)

Chris said...

Gorgeous Jo... love how you used the stamps with that fab image.
hugs
Chris xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I have been so busy with the swap, this is the first time I read this post - mai Oi'! I am so glad you tried those "halo colours of Lumiere and liked them. I think they are grand! xo lenna