Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Art Journal Every Day - 4th-5th July

(Summertime Takes Flight/A Perfect Day)
I was inspired by my friend Lenna to embark on, initially, a month's commitment to do some art journaling every day.  It only needs to be 10 minutes and I am determined to try and do this.  'Art Journal Every Day' is run by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and there is so much to look at on her website, 
Balzer Designs.


Click on the link below for information on 
'Art Journal Every Day'


As inspiration, I used a great prompt from

 

'Summertime takes Flight' 
which in turn was prompted by an article about this time of year when dragonflies suddenly start springing up.

The background is torn paper gessoed (my 'go-to' background!), which I coloured with water colour crayon and then the right hand side is sprayed over a mask with Cosmic Shimmer Mist (Ocean Sunlight, love it!).  The left hand side was sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer Mist (Golden Mint) which I then smeared to keep the sheen without the droplets).  Over this I stamped in gold a paisley stamp, as well as giving the edges a gold smear.  I rubber stamped the dragonflies on book text, cut them out and stuck them on, covering the black areas with shimmery black glitter glue.  I loved the colours of the fibre which I stapled on the right hand side.  
I wanted to use a family photograph and found this sweet 
one of DD Hope as a toddler sitting on her little box slide.  She is pointing at something (or someone) and is clearly entranced.

I enjoyed doing this, it's messier than I usually do and less controlled, and you know what?  It was FUN!  
  I have made a conscious decision not to stress too much about these Art Journal spreads - they are an opportunity for me to try different things, work out what works, what doesn't and what I'd like to develop further.

XXX

18 comments:

Susan said...

I love your art journal pages! I especially like the dragonflies!

Carmen said...

Just gorgeous - it really does look like she's gazing up at the dragon flies :) Love all the circles too.

Am so pleased you loved getting messy - yay!

Jill said...

Very pretty!

MrCachet said...

That's the plan! No stress. Like the cute photo and the dragonflies!

sugar Creek said...

OOh that's beautiful!Love the idea of stamping on text the putting on the collage!!
I don't know if I can only do 10 min. Sometimes when I get started I'm in there forever it seems!!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I so love this, Joanna and not just because you said I inspired you!!! There is a certain freedom in this spread that I love. You have spelled it out perfectly when you say that you have decided NOT to worry -to try different things and see what works an what you might like to play with more. Of course I love to see you playing with favorite family photos, this one of Hope is just so dear. I really am all for this spread -it is marvelous! xoxo

missy k said...

I love this Jo.... I love how the blue on the right echoes Hope's top. A perfect Day and a Pefect Memory!

The dragonflies are really cute :)

Karenx

Good luck at the vets today :)

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

I love seeing your journal pages...the background is amazing and compliments the cute pic of Hope perfectly..and I love those dragonflies.
That's it...No stress...and have fun being messy Jo!! :)

craftattack said...

Great pages, and glad you had fun messing about! I always do....Valerie

Jane Housham said...

You have so many projects on the go! Lovely.

SusieJ said...

Beautiful pages Joanna (love the photo of Hope - so cute). I see what you mean when you say you're busy!
Enjoy!
Hugs xx

Privet and Holly said...

I took a mixed-media
collage class in May
and it was so much fun.
I think art journaling
is a fantastic idea,
especially for artistic-
minded people like you.
Keep having F U N ! !
xx Suzanne

Susan T said...

Perfect little girl too, she is such a cutie. I love her little blue cardigan. Life seemed so simple when they were that age.

bad penny said...

well done Jo. I admire your goals xx

Valerie said...

Very nice page!
And indeed, never forget the FUN part of art journaling!
I'm making my first one (with the In the sun-course) and also try to experiment with different things. Lots of fun :-)

Ragamuffin Gal said...

This is so much fun Jo ~ seeing you create! Very wonderful journal pages! Hope you are enjoying your summer dear, now that it has started. Blessings ~ Katie

Nathalie Thompson said...

Thanks for the reminder! I used to draw each day-- need to get back to that.

Lovely pages you created-- so playful!

(did you get my envelope?)

Virginia said...

I love this page - beautiful!