Saturday, 9 July 2011

Postman's Knock - sent and received.


I made a postcard for Jane whose chosen theme is
"Overhead".


I enjoyed creating this postcard.  
The little birdy is a gel transfer.
Hope was laughing when I did it because I was a bit clumsy when rubbing off the backing paper and rubbed off his beak.  Now a bird gel transfer can do without many things, but he really needs his beak!  So I printed off another copy and performed surgery, rebuilding his beak.
It was a tense moment, I can tell you.  
This really was micro-surgery.
Anyway, he survived the ordeal and I don't think 
the other birds will notice
(although I did hear one mean crow shouting out that he looked a 'right nerdy birdy'. Crows can be so mean).

I made up the haiku poem, as haiku seemed 
appropriate for the rather minimalist feel of this card.


The birdy with rebuilt beak went off to Jane 
in a Mail Art envelope
(I forgot to photograph it before I sent it so this pic was pinched from Postmans Knock).

*

I received this wonderful postcard from Jane
(a different Jane!)
with my chosen theme of
"Yee Ha! Ride 'em Cowboy!"


I love that Jane set up this little tableau and 
would have loved to be a fly on the wall 
when she was doing it.
We all laughed at the words,

'The gang was amazed when Billy the Kid showed up -
they'd been expecting someone taller.......'

and then said a collective, "Ahhhhhhhh!"
when we looked at Billy the Kid.

On the back of the postcard she mentions that 
she knew these little cowboys 
would come in handy one of these days!


Jane very kindly enclosed this vintage postcard - 
I adore the colours and imagery.
Wonderful.

Thank you, Jane.
Both of these postcards are fab and 
I will certainly treasure them.

XXX

My next Postman's Knock theme to make is 
'Angels' for Penny.

15 comments:

craftattack said...

That poor bird! Perhaps you can now get a job mending paper birds somewhere....Great postcard, though, and those you have received as well,
Valerie

MrCachet said...

GREAT mail art!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

I just love it,Jo!!! Great job on the surgery. Those cards you reeceived are awesome.
Have a greaat weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Susan said...

Your bird card is great! You can't even tell he's had a beak job! Love your envelope too!

Jill said...

Such amazing art. Love all of it.

SusieJ said...

Wonderful artwork - all of it!
Love Billy the Kid especially.
Hugs xx

missy k said...

What lovelies!

Karenx

missy k said...

What lovelies!

Karenx

Carmen said...

O now that birdie is gorgeous and if you hadn't said I would never have known about his stint in birdie hospital! Love the Haiku - I never did understand the rules of those.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I thought of you today when I was at a 'farm sale' and someone had all these pictures framed that looked just like your postcards--You would have loved them!!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

my last comment bit the dust! I love your bird postcard joanna -the transfer is perfect, beak or not!!!

Susan T said...

Well your little birdie looks a stunner beak job or not. I think you should have a go on my beak, it could do with tweaking.

Susan T said...

Jo I ALWAYS do as I am told. See PS to today's post.

Helena said I looked like a serial killer in the photo! sans smile. You can't get the staff can you?

xxxxxxxxxx

bad penny said...

Beak surgery ha ! I just love this card Jo & I love your style & am thrilled THAT I AM NEXT !!!! no pressure then ha ! ( only joking )

Billy the Kid is a real giggle. Jess said of my card while making it...' will they "get it" ?' Had to think way outside the box for that one xx

Ruca said...

It's been a while since I checked in and I see you've been busy making loads of very nifty stuff. Bravo! Really fun and I'm enjoying your sense of humour too. I'm sorry to hear about Susie's ill health. Keep pouring the love on her and it's bound to help. Perhaps Rosie Mae could cast a magic canine spell on her and fix her up. It involves a bit of dog slobber so you might have to hold Susie down for that part.
Sniffs to Rosie Mae from me.
Tchao-wow.