Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Summer of Colour - Purple

(Purple)


This is the penultimate week of
The Summer of Colour



and this week is all about
the colour
PURPLE.

Kristin is giving a bonus 'go' in the
goodies draw if some sparkle is included.

I decided to go with Blackberries,
the juice being, of course,
purple (which stains. Oh boy, does it stain!).

With these journal pages I did my 'go-to' torn paper
and gessoed background.
Over the top of this I used green
water soluble crayons,
and then I splashed very wet purple acrylic paint.
I got a bit bored drying this with the dryer
so I dabbed it with paper towel - and
rather liked the effect.
See, it pays to be impatient!

I drew the over sized blackberry on
watercolour paper,
painting it with acrylics.
Over this I added my sparkle
with purple, black and white 
glitter glues.
I cut it out and stuck it on,
slicing it so it could go on both pages.

I picked out the words from the poem by Seamus Heaney
'Blackberry Picking'.


"Its flesh was sweet like thickened wine:
Summer's blood was in it leaving
stains upon the tongue and lust for picking.

Thank you for looking at these journal pages.
Many apologies if I don't get round to you this week
but I'm getting ready to go on holiday.
I promise I'll catch up with you soon!

XXX

19 comments:

sugar Creek said...

Wow those do look juicy!! Love everything about this!
Lucky you going on a holiday!! Hope you have alot of fun and relaxation!!xx

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Wonderful page. I love the yummy textured background and the splashes of color. This made me crave some juicy berries!! :)

Susan T said...

Have a wonderful holiday - don't forget the photos!

I love your glitzy berries.

Hope CHANEL arrives in time for your hols. E-mail on it's way.

craftattack said...

Great journal page Jo! Love the colours, and it's always good to try something new! Hugs, Valerie

missy k said...

Great sparkly pages Jo.... lovely colours.

Happy Holidays!

Karenx

Monica said...

The berries are fantastic and just ready to eat. happy holidays, hope you have a super time.

SusieJ said...

Wow!!!! Best one yet Joanna - I love it.
Hugs xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh, holiday! What fun, Joanna.
I had to pop in and say I love your journal pages -the way you did your background and the sparkling yummy blackberries! Have a great holiday . . .

Virginia said...

wow gorgeous page again hun! good luck on the packing front - never a fun task but hopefully soooooooooo worth it with a holiday at the end of it!

Mandy said...

oh...what a delicious journal page...well done...and have fun on your hol...xxx

NatashaMay said...

Gorgeous piece! Really love the background.

Kristin said...

Oooh, I wish I could flip through your book - I bet it feels as good as it looks. Your berries are gorgeous and I LOVE the addition of shimmer and shine. This is just beautiful. Bravo! AND have a wonderful holiday, xo

joanna said...

Yummy journal page Joanna! the background looks so pretty!
have a great holiday!!
xoxo

creatingme said...

I ADORE this delicious page! ADORE!

Emakesart said...

This is amazing!!! I want to see it in person!! LOVE everything about it!! WOW!!

xoEsther

Elisabeth R said...

Oh, this is so wonderful! I just love your journal pages! :-)

Linda R. said...

Looks amazing.. I just love the looks of your torn pages..

Nan said...

Great page...the poem is just so perfect!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Oh, i admire your pages Jo, always so unique and interesting..and this one is just perfect for purple week :)