Monday, 15 August 2011

Love is What You Want, with Penny


Click here for lots of pictures and an audio guide with the
curator of the exhibition and a conversation with Tracey Emin.

I had a great time in London today.
I met Penny at The Southbank Centre
(sadly Susie J wasn't able to come)
and we went to the Tracey Emin exhibition
at The Hayward Gallery.

(Photo David Levene)
Prior to the exhibition,
my opinion of Tracey Emin is that she and 
her artwork both repulsed and 
fascinated me in equal measure.

(Photo David Levene)
Having seen her artwork and read the explanations 
I feel I have a much greater understanding
of why she is like she is
and what led her to create such artwork,
often shocking, sometimes moving, 
and always very creative.

(Photo Kerry Ryan)
And some of it is really quite shocking
(I haven't included those images here for fear of 
upsetting fellow bloggers).
She deals with her life issues of
rape, abortion, love, familial and sexual relationships 
and self destruction.

(Photo David Levene)
There were quilts, drawings, short films, neon lights, sculptures, letters, mono-prints, found objects and photographs.

I was very moved watching a conversation 
between Tracey and her mother, in which her mother 
very candidly told Tracey how having children 
(ie Tracey and her brother)
had ruined her life and if Tracey ever got 
pregnant she MUST have an abortion.

Penny and I spent a couple of hours walking 
round the exhibition which was much bigger 
and far more varied than I was expecting.

I'd give this exhibition 10/10
and I am now Tracey Emin's newest fan!

(Jo and Penny relax and chat.  We should have worn our vests!)
Penny and I grabbed a bite to eat and then 
wandered along the Thames,
where several beach huts had been set up,
each with a different themed interior.

(Penny in front of 'Whack a Banker')
(Encrusted with shells and natural treasures)
(This has got to be a man's beach hut!)




('Southend-on-Sea' beach scene, right next to the Thames)
(Children play on the 'beach')
We had a lovely day.
Penny is such fun and great company.
Thank you for coming up to London 
and meeting me, Penny!

Susie, Jan and Lin - I'll meet up with you another time
(that's both a threat AND a promise!).

XXX

14 comments:

Serenata said...

So glad you both had such a wonderful time. The exhibition certainly sounds interesting.

I love the beach huts and the 'beach', how wonderful, the children look like they are having fun.

craftattack said...

Glad you 2 had such a good day, and that the exhibition was worth visiting. I hope if you do another trip I will be able to accompany you,cost what it may! I loved *Southend Beach* too! Hugs, Valerie

Monica said...

Her offbeat lifestyle and art has made her a very rich woman. I wonder if her art has changed. After you mentioned going to the exhibition, i read up about her on-line. thanks for sharing.

Bad Penny said...

Thank you for twisting my arm Jo as I had such a good time & I have totally changed my opinion of Ms Emin !!! I may have tp pinch your write up.

Just goes to show, we judge too quickly. I did xxxx

SusieJ said...

I'm so sad to have missed this :( but pleased you and Penny had a good time.
Next time for definite!
Hugs xx

Katie said...

I have never heard of her. I will check out the rest of it too. Looks like a really nice outing w/ Penny. xo

Virginia said...

Wow you look like you had an amazing time, the exhibition looks amazing, such a shame Susie didn't make it but how fabulous to have a day out with Penny! Hope you're having a great week!

missy k said...

That REALLY sounds like a fun day out.

The beach huts look amazing.

See you tomorrow..... about one ish?

Karenx

Susan T said...

I would have loved to be there. Tracy isn't really my cup of tea, but I can see that her work would probably have moved me and led to a new appreciation of her - so sorry to have missed wishing Luke a Happy Birthday, I am behind on blogs for some reason.

We will meet somewhere one day!

Menopausalmusing said...

She IS my cup of tea and I would have loved to have gone. Have enjoyed reading about it on blogs though. Lovely for you both (you and Penny) to have met up! :O)

Jane Housham said...

Sounds like you had a great day. Tracey Emin's book Strangeland is a very interesting read and gives even more background to her art.

Gina said...

So pleased you enjoyed the exhibition too Jo. I can also recommend "Stangeland" as good background reading to her art.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

The exhibition sounds and looks so interesting Jo... So glad you and Penny had a good time, and a little sad I couldn't make it :( Oh and those beach huts look fab, I do love a beach hut!!
Jan x

Carmen said...

Oh I really wish I could've come. I am the same - fascinated but when I look at her stuff online, it's like I want to look but look away but can't if that makes sense. I'm so glad you came away from it with such a positive attitude towards her. Imagine having your Mum tell you that!