Thursday, 22 September 2011

Apple of My Eye


This week's challenge set by Crafty Moira
for those on her Falling For You
Art Journal course
(see sidebar for details)
is
'Apple of My Eye'.

Moira set just 2 rules - 
1. The image of an apple had to be used (tick)
AND
2. A definition of the phrase, true OR false, 
had to be given (tick).

Well I don't know about you, but I thought 
the little baby in the picture 
(from a magazine, not one of my own darlings)
was so cute, and good enough to eat.
Sweet, shiny new, and full of goodness.

I would like to stress here and now that
I DO NOT EAT BABIES OR SMALL CHILDREN!
It's just an expression, right?!

I did the background by pressing down 
corrugated cardboard into wet gesso, 
and then immediately removing it.  
The stripy effect remained.
Once the gesso was dry I used watercolour 
crayons to add the colour.
The apples are a transfer done with gesso 
- the first time I've tried transferring with gesso - 
I like the imperfect result!

(The line behind the baby's nose and eye is 
a feather stuck on the previous page)

XXX

12 comments:

sugar Creek said...

Now this is sweet as pie!;) I love the colors, especially because today is the last day of summer!
I haven't tried a transfer with gesso, gonna have to go give that a whirl!

Sabrina said...

I love the background on this. The texture definitely comes through especially with your use of the watercolors over. That baby is definitely "edible". I bet it has a little chubby thigh that needs a "nibble".

craftattack said...

I am glad you made that clear with the small kids, I was wondering! Great journal pages! Hugs, Valerie

Alix said...

Beautiful baby and beautiful work!
x

Trece said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I love it that you're taking the course. As for your comment, I'll just say that the lines from the Mirena commercial fit me: "Remember when they were so cute you could just eat them up? Some days I wish I had. . ."

joy said...

Just popping in to say "hi"! Love this spread. The stripes give so much texture here. How did you do the lettering??

Joanna said...

Hello Joy, thank you for dropping by! The lettering was done with various rubber stamps. I have a few fonts of the larger stamps (cheap foam ones) so I mixed 'em up.

x

missy k said...

Hi Jo

what totally gorgeous pages....

i LOVE the corrugated cardboard effect.... you are clever.

Do I spy washi tape????

Love Karenx

SusieJ said...

Loving the effects on this page Jo and some glorious images.
Hugs xx

Virginia said...

Gorgeous page sweetie and I didn't for one moment assume that you felt babies were edible LOL!

storybeader said...

love your background, and sounds like an easy technique! Thanks for passing it along! From another Falling for you artist, {:-Deb

Bad Penny said...

Bless her what a sweetie