Sunday, 25 September 2011

Autumn Flavours and Linda's kindness

(Autumn in a Bowl)
These art journal pages are inspired by the prompt set by
Crafty Moira's Falling For You class 
(see sidebar button for details),

'First Flavours of the Fall."

Of course, here in the UK we have an Autumn 
rather than a Fall,
and my 'go-to' Autumn food is SOUP!
I love it and its many different varieties.
I particularly like the root vegetable and 
roasted vegetable flavours.
On Friday, when I started these pages, I had a 
New Covent Garden soup for lunch,
Spicy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato,
yummmmmmmm!

Moira asked that recycled packaging should 
be used in these pages -
I did a packing tape transfer of the soup carton label 
over a blended paper background, 
and also used a brown paper grocer's 
bag as the base for the page on the left.

I photographed my bowl of soup 
(much to DH Grant's amusement!) 
and then drew it from the photograph,
adding the colour with watercolour crayons.

***
I received an unexpected package from
Linda Freeman yesterday.
Linda and I are in the same Mail Art swap group
and a while ago one of our themes had been 
'Birds, Bees and Butterflies'.
Linda's envelope to me didn't arrive :o(
Some time later, Linda emailed to say that 
it had arrived back in her Mail box, minus
most of my address.  Goodness knows
where it had been all that time, I would like to
think it had been on a wonderful adventure.  
I suspect it sat in a big box awaiting attention.


So Linda sent it again to me - 
now with a few more labels than before!
I love the little birdie with her crown
(it has to be a girl birdie with a 
pink spotted crown, right?!).


Inside the envelope Linda had enclosed these lovely tags.


But wait a minute, what else was in the Jiffy bag?
Only a Strathmore Visual Journal, that's what!

Linda had spotted one of my comments on Lenna's blog
when I mentioned that I could not get these journals 
in the UK, so she bought one and sent it to me.

I am so happy to have one of these journals,
the paper quality is brilliant, and will be able to
withstand all the wet paint and ink I intend to 
throw its way!

Thank you so much, Linda.
You are so thoughtful and generous.

XXX


22 comments:

marigold jam said...

Love the idea of soup being autumn in a bowl - your pages are great too. Lucky your lovely package didn't get lost altogether and that you now have it and its contents safely.

sugar Creek said...

OOh I love your pages and Yep I want some soup too! LOL!

craftattack said...

Lovely journal pages, made me hungry, and you have received from lovely stuff too. I am envious of that Strathmore visual journal, can't get it here either, and they are so much better that the rubbishy journals they are selling here for large sums of money.
Have a good week, Valerie

Jewels said...

Nothing like cooler weather to get us cooking comfort food - love your soup bowl! I forgot about that package tape technique - I know Mary had provided some instructions - I will have to try it. Very nice of Linda too! Jewels

Lenna Young Andrews said...

There is so much packed in here I don't know where to start, but will say #1 I love your journal page and especially your hand drawn bowl of soup and #2, how truly kind of Linda . . . what lovely blog post that made me smile. xo

Heavens2Betsy said...

Hi Jo, your journal page is a triumph and the soup looks delish! I love the autumn because of the soup alone... and crispy leaves. Love Linda's tags and her gift was very thoughtful too. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Sorry not to have been by sooner, pc was dead for 10 days ... I nearly gnawed my own arm off out of sheer frustration. pen x

joy said...

Hi, Joanna! Your soup autumn spread looks scrumptious with that hand-drawn bowl of soup! The colors are just right, too.

What a nice mail day for you - your will have so much fun working in that journal.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog; I so appreciate your feedback!

MrCachet said...

It's always great to find unexpected gifts - in the mail, no less!

Kristin said...

You had me at Packing Tape Transfer of the soup label!! Your work is always so special and just stunning - and this is such a cool layout. I can totally see you taking a picture of your soup and then drawing from it - love that! Beautiful goodies too, xoxo

Linda said...

I love your Autumn page spread! This is my favorite time of year and a nice bowl of soup is always so comforting. I'm so happy to hear the package arrived...enjoy the journal!

Menopausalmusing said...

Get throwing that wet paint and ink! Lovely work done on those autumnal pages. Love the bee related tags too.

Gina said...

I've got to do some food themed pages in an altered book swap I'm taking part in. I think you might have given me some inspiration!

SusieJ said...

Loving the soup pages Joanna - great techniques.
And wow.....fabulous mail art from Linda.
Hugs xx
p.s. do you think all crafter's husbands are permanently amused/bemused? lol

Dezinaworld said...

Ohhh you make me so hungry, what a lovely piece. love your gorgeous gifts too
have a beautiful week and sending hugs
June

Monica said...

perfect journal page for autumn/fall. It remains 100 degrees here so soup is not a fixture on our menu!

Bad Penny said...

I'm into soup now too ! Lovely page & delightful drawing of your soup bowl.

Super goodies & loving the labels

Crafty Moira said...

Love your page! And I love soup! I'm going to make soup with the butternut squash in my fridge... maybe today! :)

Katie said...

love soup! love autumn!Love your page! :0)
And, I LOVE those Strathmore visual journals...I just ordered 2 more. they're a fave! have fun!

Virginia said...

I love this page Jo, I love the colours, the reasons behind it, the recycling all amazing! I also adore your mail art, how thoughtful for her to not only resend but also to send you something you can't get here! fabulous stuff!

Hope you are having a great day!

Kristin said...

Thank you for your sweet Birthday Wishes! xoxo

Jennie Louise said...

Super cool journal... so talented. i love your creativeness!

Relyn said...

People keep mentioning soup for autumn. I'm getting hungry. ;^)