Friday, 16 September 2011

What's Rocking My World This Friday!


Wow, Friday's here again, so soon.

Here's my list of goodies for this week...

***

DD Hope and I really enjoyed 
Jane Eyre
when we went to the cinema this week.


This film version of the book by 
Charlotte Bronte 
was more about the difficult romance 
between Mr Rochester and Jane Eyre
rather than the mystery and menace 
of the nutty Mrs Rochester.


Jane Eyre (Mia Waskowska) was brilliant,



Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender) 
was really far too gorgeous
 but, hell, we got over that!



Jamie Bell was a convincing uptight parson,


and Judi Dench was on her usual excellent form in her 
cameo role as the housekeeper.

Was this the best version of Jane Eyre I've seen?
Probably not,
 but it has a lot going for it.
The bleakness of the moors comes across beautifully 
as does the cruelty of the age, for those
without money or a voice in society.
The acting, costumes and scenery are all wonderful,
and the haunting music score is beautiful.
I just wish there had been a little more about
the mystery and menace of Mrs Rochester in the attic,
and it just seemed a bit rushed to me, but I guess
there's a lot to get through.

But Michael Fassbender just about made up for that!



*

We saw a hedgehog in the garden late last night
We knew we had them in the garden because 
darling Rosie Mae tells us they live 
behind the greenhouse.
So it must have been quite an adventure for this
 little one to be so close to the house.
Silly thing got a bit confused with us standing there 
and ran into a low willow hurdle and
then pretended (very unconvincingly)
to be dead so we left it alone.

Overnight it thankfully appears to have 
made its way home.

*

I am relieved that I have found my creative head again.
Since we got back from holiday I've been lacking
Mr Inspiration and Mrs Enthusiasm,
but they're back and I'm raring to go!

*

I enjoyed coffee in Oxted with my friend Sue this week.
We have been friends for exactly 10 years
since our daughters met on their first day at school, 
aged 4. Hope and Ciera were best friends 
throughout the whole of primary school, 
and although they are
now at different secondary schools, 
remain close.
My life and Sue's have also gone in different
directions, but it's great to catch up.

*

I am looking forward to going up to London
tomorrow with Hope.
We are going to 
The Victoria and Albert Museum
to 

(image from V&A website - look at the pencil leads, it's the alphabet)
I read a review which raved about it,
it's free (WOW!),
and we thought we'd see what it was all about.

I'll report back!

*
DS Luke surprised me this week when he
successfully tackled a flat pack desk for his bedroom.
He needed to interpret the instructions,
put together part A to part G,
part T with part F (which is very much like 
but not quite like part S)
and work out why there were only 5 
screw LL's when there should have been 25,
he had to drill pilot holes (in the RIGHT places)
and attach the handles.
Well, 10/10 for the new Handy Andy 
(showing my age there).
it seems to have all gone together perfectly.
the desk doesn't wobble and 
the drawers go in and out
just like they should. 
AND he tidied up afterwards
WITHOUT ME ASKING.

OK, who is he and where 
has the real Luke Urbani gone?!

*

That's all for now.
I hope you have a lovely weekend
whatever you're doing.

Fancy joining in with the Rocking Friday Fun?
Pop along to Virginia
and post the positives from your week.

XXX



13 comments:

craftattack said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all - except, perhaps by the hedgehog! Valerie

SusieJ said...

What a lovely, cheerful post - a great week. Do let us know about the V&A it sounds fascinating.
Had to laugh @ your reaction to DS Luke (boys do suddenly seem to "grow up" and it's a bit unnerving) - well done to him on making the desk.
Have a great weekend,
Hugs xx
p.s. thanks for the not so gratuitous eye candy. Think I'll wait for the film to reach Sky Movies :)

missy k said...

Hi Jo

Glad you enjoyed the film......

Don't know what it is, but somehow this adaptation of Jane Eyre just doesn't appeal to me.

Well done to Luke I am MOST impressed, especially with the tidying up part!!!!

The exhibition sounds brilliant!

Have a great weekend

Lots of love


Karenx

Susan T said...

Can't wait to see the film - however Toby remains my one true love as far a Mr Rochester is concerned, he only needs to shout for the dog and my knees turn to jelly!

Right I am packing Patrick off to you for a week or so, to learn how to turn into a reasonable human being. He went out this morning in a cloud of Lynx, after buggering up the shower, it won't work now. Helena had to have a bath so I am sitting in my grots waiting for the water to heat up, kids! and he drank all the milk in the fridge, not a drop for my morning cuppa.

Monica said...

You need to be truly mechanical of mind to put all those bits together even when everything is correct. Looking forward to hearing about museum visit.

Virginia said...

Oh a lovely list from you this week as well, I love reading the posts and seeing what everyone's up to - glad your creativity has returned, can't wait to hear about the V&A trip and thanks for the thoughts on the Jane Eyre film I did wonder which way they would play it!

WTG Luke on the flatpack assembly and tidying up - I've managed to cajole 11 year old into the bath this evening when I realised he'd not been in quite a few days - honestly - he tried to tell DH that his ankles were normally that cover and looked shocked when they started reappearing in a pink tone LMAO! What is he like!

The HP lego was put together in mighty quick time so now he's on the role play side of things which means the Hogwarts Express has crashed on more than one occasion this week and what do you mean you don't know what a nerf gun is LOL - do a You Tube search - there are some hysterical videos on nerf on there.

Right off to see what other Rockettes have been up to have a brilliant weekend - hugs

Carmen said...

The exhibition sounds amazing, can't wait to hear about that!

WTG Luke - that's a feat in itself. Flatpack designers are sadistic spawn of the Devil!

Fabulous list this week :D

Lenna Young Andrews said...

always lovely for me to read these posts, Joanna. xoxoxo

Bad Penny said...

I remember the first time I read Jane Eyre ( have re read many times since ) I was so scared !
Hope you have a great time at the V& A.
Isn't it funny when our children suprise us so much well done Luke !

trisha too said...

Joanna, your posts are so much fun--does it mean I'm ridiculously nosy for liking them so much??

:)

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Always grateful, always so gracious. Always a pleasure to visit, Joanna!

Judy Dench... oh, how I love this woman. I remember back in my country, when we had cable TV, and I could watch "As Time Goes By". I would love to watch this movie.

I want to thank you very much for your words of support, and for your caring! You are very dear to my heart - forever!
Love ya!

Letticeleaf said...

Can't wait to hear about the V & A exhibition, please post TODAY Jo! Glad to hear your creative mojo's back.
LLX

Printed Material said...

Jo,
I was waiting for your Jane Eyre review. I agree about the scenery, costumes etc but I must be too much of a purist as I hated the way they left chunks out of the story and changed things to suit, especially when Judi Dench appeared in the ruins at the end! My favourite JE? - Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke in a good old BBC Sunday serial. It was magic. I loved TD as Rochester - drool....