Thursday, 17 November 2011

The Butterfly Project


The Butterfly Project
is being hosted by
The Holocaust Museum, Houston
in Texas, USA.
Their mission is to educate people about the Holocaust,
remembering the 6 million Jews and other innocent victims
and honouring the survivors' legacy.
Using the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides,
 the dangers of hatred, prejudice and apathy are taught.

The Butterfly Project mandate is to remember the
1,500,000 innocent children
who perished as a result of the Holocaust
by collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies

In Spring 2013 these butterflies will then become 
a breath-taking exhibition to serve as 
a memory of this event.

Why butterflies?
The project is based on this poem -

I Never Saw Another Butterfly

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow
Perhaps if the sun's tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly 'way up high.
It went away I'm sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I've lived in here
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.

Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here, in the ghetto.

Written by
Pavel Friedman, 
June 4th 1942

(Born in Prague January 7th 1921,
deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp 
on April 26th 1942,
died in Aushchwitz on September 29th 1944,
aged 23).

When Trudi Sissons from
read about this she was, not surprisingly,
incredibly moved and wanted to help
bring together this plan of 1.5 million butterflies.
So her part in this is
which is a worldwide call for creative people to 
create butterflies for the exhibition.
When sent to her she photographs them
and logs them on her blog.
They will be sent en masse to the 
Holocaust Museum.

Of course I wanted to join in,
and these 2 are my contribution.


The images of the children are from
Their wings are blended vintage paper,
softened with gesso,
and charcoal smudging.
Including antennae they stand about 5" tall.


They both have rusty wire curly antennae
with beads on the end.


This little chap looks more like a moth,
but sometimes I find it tricky to tell the
difference between a butterfly and a moth,
so hopefully he'll be allowed in.

These 2 will now be fluttering across the pond
to Trudi in Canada, joining all the other
little butterflies.

If you want more information about how to join in
click here.

XXX

15 comments:

craftattack said...

Yes, this is a great project, and I love what you have made. So many of my family died in the concentration camps, too, and it is so important not to forget what happened. Valerie

Susan T said...

This lovely post made me gulp Jo, what a wonderful project. For this I would have a go at crafting. I will rope in Helena's help, she is so much more creative than I am and see what she can come up with. I love your darling butterfly children.

I have read about the Holocaust, we must never forget, and never never allow it to happen again.

sugar Creek said...

Really just a beautiful way to remember. I could just imagine how wonderful it would be to see all of the butterflies together! I love yours and love how you did their little antennas! xx

Kristin said...

Ohhhh, they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! (I am doing this too - thanks for the reminder, I have to get going ;) Your little ones are such a gorgeous contribution - and I love the "remember me" text.
Also, really beautiful backdrop - & HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your "baby" - I hope she has a wonderful day, xoxoxo

Monica said...

They are lovely and i am sure there is room for moths at the museum. it is very big.

Heavens2Betsy said...

Beautiful baby butterflies you've created Jo. They are very soft and the starkness of the words is heart-wrenching. I love these so much! pen x

Heavens2Betsy said...

Beautiful baby butterflies you've created Jo. They are very soft and the starkness of the words is heart-wrenching. I love these so much! pen x

Katie said...

I love this project- so great- much like your adorable little butterflies! Wee!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a great project! We don't live far from Washington DC and I'll have to look for this when it comes to the Holocaust Museum and look for your precious contributions!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

joanna, your 2 butterflies are amazing! very special, kudos to you!

missy k said...

I love your butterflies Jo, what a moving project.... it surely will be a sight to see.

Karenx

Printed Material said...

What a great reason to make something for and what darling creations you have come up with. Jo, I'm not sure you ever sleep because you're involved in everything going! But when these are the result I envy you and wish I had your creativity and your stamina! x

BadPenny said...

Jo these are so delightful but thought provoking too perfect for the Butterfly Effect project which I too contributed to

Carmen said...

Oh Jo. Perfect. Just perfect. And am saying no more - because I can't. But wobbly smiles this end.

Trudi Sissons said...

Oh these are so precious Joanne! Thank you so much for contributing to the project - I will let you know the moment they touch down!

xox
trudi