Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Birthday Treat

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but it's my birthday tomorrow.

To celebrate, I'm going out with my friend, Louise.
We are going to the 
 Grayson Perry exhibition,
at The British Museum.


If you haven't heard of Grayson Perry
he is a British artist,
and a rather unusual character.

(Grayson Perry as 'Claire')
He has a female alter ego called Claire,
who dresses up in what can only be described 
as Pantomime Dame attire.

(Grayson Perry as Grayson Perry)

The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman is a celebration of
 craftsmen throughout the ages and around the world
who have created items of beauty, and some 150 - 
all selected by Grayson -  will be on display.
Grayson has then created his own version of 
some of these items.

I watched the BBC programme 
'Imagine........with Grayson Perry'
in which he discussed with Alan Yentob 
his forthcoming exhibition at the British Museum 
and he also went on a pilgrimage 
to Germany on his custom made motorcycle.


In the glass sided box on the back of the motorbike is Grayson's teddy bear, Alan Measles, 
who he's owned since he was a baby.

I'm really looking forward to my day out tomorrow
and will eat CAKE all day!

I will report back on the exhibition, of course.

*

By the way,  Louise and I are planning to start 
an artistic collaboration,
which we were hoping to name 'Urban Fox' -
my surname being Urbani, hers Fox.
The name Urban Fox seems to be taken already 
so we might amend it to
'Urban iFox'.
Anyway, our plans for creative world domination 
are starting off with a shared stall at the 
Christmas Fair next year at a local school.
Baby steps, eh?!

XXX

20 comments:

Printed Material said...

All the reviews of this have been so complimentary Jo so I think you are in for a real treat. Have a great birthday out and have tons of cake!! Report back and tell us what you think of Grayson's choices.

Alix said...

Have a lovely birthday and a fun outing. And definitely lots of cake!
x

Menopausalmusing said...

Have THE best of birthdays Jo, I don't think you can fail if you are having cake AND Grayson Perry. I also watched the Yentob programme and loved it. Good luck with the world domination ;O))))))))

Relyn said...

I knew we had much in common. I just adore museums.

craftattack said...

Have a lovely day tomorrow and eat as much cake as you want! Enjoy making an exhibition of yourself . or did I misunderstand something there? Whatever, have a wonderful day, and good luck with your Urban iFox enterprises! Hugs, Valerie

Ann's Art said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow and have a great day out...sounds fun.

Carmen said...

hOW DID i MISS THAT PROGRAM? i'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM BUT HE CERTAINLY LOOKS A FUN CHARACTER!

Oh poop - caps lock. Sorry for yelling! The new collaboration sounds really cool, how dare someoene nick your name already. I'm as miffed as when someone has already claimed whoopidoo(happens quite a lot!)

Happy Birthday Jo - you kept that quiet!

Monica said...

FABULOUS Wish i could see his show. That bike looks edgy and Alan measles a hoot.

Heavens2Betsy said...

Fantastic Jo! I've heard great things about this exhibition. I love your Urban iFox idea and am dying to know more. Your work is always so beautiful ... can I book a ticket to the craft fair now please?! Happy Happy Birthday and please have an extra piece of cake for me. pen xxx

Jewels said...

Happy BD, Happy BD, Happy BD to you - sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time! Urban iFox sounds fantastic! Looking forward to seeing what the two of you do...J

Katie said...

Have a wonderful, wild, adventurous, craft lovin', cake eating, treating yourself, do something nutty Birthday!!!! Hugs!

SusieJ said...

Happy Birthday Jo (and, yes, you did keep that quiet!!!).
Enjoy your cake(s) and the exhibition - would love to see that. I'm a big fan of Perry/Claire.
Hugs xx

SusieJ said...

p.s. loving the idea of Urban iFox!!

Jill said...

I do hope you're having a great day at the British Museum. 'Urban Fox' sounds like a great project - best of luck with your enterprise.

Susan T said...

Happy Birthday to you oh clever one. you see your surname was destined to be involved in some artistic collaboration. I think it only fair that we bloggers get to see your creations. I have decided a set of original Urbanis will look wonderful on my walls. Mr Steampunk is getting lonely. Lots of love and hugs from here xxxxx

Frau S said...

Fun! Happy birthday and have a wonderful time!

Gaby Bee said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, Jo! Happy Belated Birthday wishes!!

Gina said...

Belated birthday greetings and I hope you had a super day at the Grayson Perry exhibition. I'm going on Monday and can't wait!Good luck with Urban Fox!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Happy belated Birthday wishes,dear Jo.May all your wishes come true.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

MaygreenFairies said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you had a super day. xx