Friday, 9 December 2011

What's Rocking My World This Friday! + Grayson Perry

(Click the pic to join in)

Are you ready to Rock?!
I know I am.

***
My birthday (yesterday).

I had such a lovely day and was totally spoilt - 
lots of texts, emails, cards and presents.
Thank you for all your kind Birthday wishes,
I felt just like a real Princess
AND 
I went to the Grayson Perry exhibition,
at the British Museum
with my friend Louise.

Unfortunately I had developed a streaming cold overnight,
but I was determined to go and I'm so glad I did.



Stunning, eh?
Not exactly a dry and dusty museum.


Grayson's custom made motorcycle,
but sadly no Alan Measles but his seat was being 
kept warm by another small teddy bear.




The attention to detail is incredible.




(Photo source: Reuters/Olivia Harris)
This was a beautiful quilted wall hanging.
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this exhibition.
The variety and creativity of the original artefacts 
was stunning and Grayson's own interpretation 
of them was fascinating.

There are quite a few sexually explicit items,
many of them involving (a rather happy) Alan Measles,
so if you find that kinda thing shocking the
exhibition probably isn't for you.
Otherwise, I would definitely urge you to go,
it's on until the middle of February 2012.

It was fun spending the day with Louise,
she's one-of-a-kind and I love her for it
(sorry I walked so fast, Looby!).

My streaming cold had all but disappeared this morning.
A 24 hour cold.
On my birthday.

Typical!

AND I didn't have any CAKE  because
I couldn't breathe and eat at the same time
**grumble**.

*
What else made my week Rock?

Watching the two Christmas plays at school. 

The little ones' (Key Stage 1) Nativity was
'The Sleepy Shepherd'.
I really enjoyed watching it,
as I have done every year.
There's always a child facing the wrong way,
another totally frozen into inactivity by the 
presence of parents,
the sweet child belting out the songs 
totally tunelessly, 
and that moment when their little voices warble 
'Away in a Manger'
 bringing a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

Wonderful.

The bigger children (Key Stage 2) performed 'Oliver'.
They were amazing, absolutely stunning.
So much work had gone into producing the show
and the children looked like they were enjoying 
every moment.
I can imagine 1 or 2 of them pursuing a career in
acting/singing, wouldn't it be wonderful if I'd
seen them at the very start of their careers?

*

Hair cut today.
Yippeee!

Shorter = better.

*

Being awarded a £10 voucher by
simply for leaving reviews on products I'd bought 
from them.

Let's go shopping!
(and there's free UK postage until 18th December)

*

I'm looking forward to
The X Factor Final 
this weekend.

Who will win?
Will it be.....

Amelia Lily?


(Photo source)
Little Mix?

or
Marcus Collins?

I DON'T KNOW!
Grant loves Amelia Lily
(he likes 'dirty' female rockers - but married me?!).
Hope and I really like Marcus.
We're restricting ourselves to one family vote,
so obviously Hope's and my decision will be final!

***

Phew, rather a long post for you to wade
 through today, sorry.
I'll post this with Virginia and visit her other Rockers.

Whatever you're up to this weekend
I hope you have fun.
'Tis the Season to be Jolly, after all.
:D

XXX

16 comments:

SusieJ said...

That exhibition sounds fascinating Jo. What a shame you couldn't eat any cake..:(
Semi finals on Strictly tomorrow :)
Hope your choice wins the X Factor.
Hugs xx

Carmen said...

That exhibition looks amazing! And we restrict ourselves to one vote too - I was voting Misha B and was gutted she went last week - think it'll be Marcus for us too.

Glad you were spoilt - you're worth it! *hair swish*

craftattack said...

Sounds like you had a good time, and the exhibition must have been totally cooooooooooool, hope it comes here some day! Pity about the cake, though - perhaps you will get a belated cake....Valerie

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jo!!
What NO cake!! I hope you make up for it now the sniffles have gone! Sounds like you has a lovely day, the GP exibition looks very interesting! Love his pink bike!!
Well done on winning the voucher!
Oh, I miss the xmas school plays now that my boys are all grown up!
Certainly was a week that rocked Jo!
Jan x

she dreams big! said...

I'm glad you got to spend your birthday doing something so much fun! And I hope you took a piece of cake home to enjoy.

Happy, happy birthday Joanna!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

So glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday, you certainly deserve it!!
You can always have "belated" cake tomorrow!!

Sabrina said...

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes!!! Sounds like you had a fun time of it!

I have a nasty cold too, but not of the 24 hour variety. Having a winter birthday also (Jan) I'm very familiar with the cold on your birthday syndrome.

Happy crafting and xmasing!!!

Katie said...

That museum looks amazing! Must book a flight to England! Santa?
So glad you're birthday was a hit (minus cold). Have a good weekend!

Virginia said...

Morning Sweetie - belated birthday wishes - I'm having a useless week on this front if I'm honest - hope you had a great day - I'm hoping now the cold has gone you can eat that cake. The exhibition looks awesome - loving the motorbike simply genius! We missed last weeks X Factor had no idea Mischa B had gone out of the show - must try and catch up before tonight, personally I like Aemilia Lily too, but to be honest any of them winning would be awesome - my spelling looks like it's going wrong this morning. Loving your snowy background to your blog! Hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend - much love!

Letticeleaf said...

Great post Jo. I am so envious of you going to the Grayson's 'inhibition'. Must confess he will never made it onto my list of 'loves' although I do adore his work.

Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday, I've been all over the place since last Saturday. Only just now coming down to earth.

Big love and hugs, LLX

Debs said...

Fascinating exhibition, another to put on my list of things to see in the New Year. Did you know there is a Whorhol exhibit. at the De la Ware in Bexhill until Feb?

Belated birthday wishes, BTW.

Margaret said...

Belated birthday wishes for yesterday, I'm glad you managed to get to the exhibition, totally inspiring , love the pics.
My vote is for Marcus! but I think little Mix will probably win!

Mx

Heavens2Betsy said...

What and unfair 24 hour cold that was Jo, you poor thing! But, intrepid as ever, I'm glad it didn't put paid to your trip the exhibition which, looks fabulous dahling. I am really going to try hard to get there myself. School plays always make me cry - I was always the parent blubbing and being totally embarressing. These days it's more heavy metal than heavenly ... gawd help me. Amelia Lily gets my vote - not for the same reason as Grant, I hasten to add but I think her voice is amazing. At this rate I'll have to start rockin' again on a Friday myself. Happy weekend to you. Hope to see you in the xmas hols. pen xxx

BadPenny said...

Hi Jo. I'm so glad you had a happy birthday ( not the cold though )

Can you believe today it's been pouring with rain & now is cool & overcast !!! No beach BBQ but we had brunch earlier & will go out tonight for Jess's birthday, We are vegging out checking emails blog & FB. Jess had losads of messages & an ecard.

Will have to pop by here to check the XF results - not sure who I want ! xx

Susan T said...

How rotten to have a cold on your birthday of all days. The Grayson Perry exhibition looks fab. Ahh I remember school plays they always made me cry.

I think I am the only one on the planet not watching X Factor. Very naughty, will do better next time.

Lots of hugs and good wishes to you.xx

Monica said...

Sorry I missed wishing you happy birthday, out of town and pooped on return home. Sounds like a super day.