Tuesday, 3 January 2012

January 2012 and Tag Tuesday

I have been inspired by other bloggers to
join in with the 2012 Calendar Challenge

I didn't want to buy yet ANOTHER journal/sketchbook
so I've used an old 1956, falling apart, Playbox Annual.
This really was in dreadful condition
and I bought it for 99p just to save it from 
being recycled.


So here are my January pages
all ready to be filled in.
I gessoed the pages first to strengthen them,
giving them extra texture by pressing bubble wrap 
and pot lids into the drying primer.
I then stuck on some Christmas snowflake 
tissue paper (surely I'm not the only one to secretly get 
more excited by the wrapping paper than 
the thoughtfully chosen gift?!). 
 Over this I glitter glued and stamped
snowflakes - which were also glitter glued.
There's a lot of shimmer on these pages,
but it's a grey and gloomy day today so the
shimmer wouldn't show up on the photos.
(January: As the day lengthens, so the cold strengthens.)
These pages are already in need of some first aid
(there is some tearing at the top of the 
centre of the pages) but that's what you 
get from using old paper.
It really doesn't bother me,
a bit of duck/duct (which one is it?!)
 tape will sort that out.

*

Hurrah!
Tag Tuesday has started.
This is run by Carolyn Saxby
and the first week's theme is
'Snow'.

(Snow)
I used my 'go-to' blended paper background
(I'll do a how-to post in the very near future about this)
and found a sweet image in an old book of two Bramblings
(I've never heard of these birds).
I used Pumice Stone Distress Ink round the edges
of the tag, which is quite 'crusty' because I used 
rock candy stickles around
the edges to look like ice/hard frost.
The birds are pecking at little sparkles in the snow,


although officially they are
'seeking beech-mast'.

*
I'm also going to be joining in with
Darcy's Postcard Challenge.
Boy, does this look fun!
If you are familiar with Nick Bantock's
books then this might be one for you.
All the information about it is 
The first challenge has just been set so
I'd better get started!

XXX

25 comments:

The Sparkly Fairy said...

I love the book you are creating. Fantastic start! Happy New Year!

SusieJ said...

Great use of an old book Jo!
And I love the tag - still have mine to make. :( Must not fall behind!!
Hugs xx

craftattack said...

Beautiful work, glad you are joining in the calendar challenge, too. I don't know duck tape, but I never gt too close to a duck. They sell duct tape at the DIY stores! Valerie

Jane Housham said...

You've got so many swaps and projects on already and it's only Jan 3rd! Good for you.

Carmen said...

Wow Jo you are going to be so busy! I adore this tag, I love your details as always, love that they are pecking at sparkly bits (and am now cringing as I typed that as Devvie recently explained to me what a vajizzle was)

Will be watching with drooly interest this year!

Can't wait for that tut on your backgrounds too!

flutterbycrafter said...

Your page is ideal for a day like today, grey, but I love it

pernilla 40 said...

your grey,white and black artjournal was so beautiful

thekathrynwheel said...

You are going to be busy with all these challenges! I'm so glad that you are taking part in the 366 calendar challenge - thanks for joining. Love the cool greys of your background - perfect for January, and what a great way to recycle! Happy new year.

missy k said...

I love your pages for the kathryn wheel challenge... the colours so suit January!

You already know I love your tag :)

Karenx

Craphty said...

Oooh I can here the wind outside and can feel the chill of the snow from your layout. Brrh. Love it.

ally said...

wow beautiful pages and tags

Jewels said...

Using the annual was a GREAT idea - what a wonderful cover (you just don't get those this side of the pond though I think I have some old Rupert annuals somewhere). And I Love, Love, Love your tag - I knew it was yours as soon as I saw it - just wonderful.

sugar Creek said...

Oh my I LOVE these!! I finally got my internet working again and so glad it is! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New years! xx

Susan T said...

You have a gift for making things look beautiful, what a creative start to a New Year xx

Sam said...

Wow, thats a great first page for your calendar challenge, love the colours and all the snowflakes and how you have done your squares. Your tag is just beautiful too! x

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I love your tag so so much, Joanna! very beautiful. I am thinking of one to do in my head, but have not gotten there yet. It is frosty enough even in Florida this morning at 34 degrees!!

lena-dailyscrap said...

LOVE your pages! That special touch with that distressed stroke around the squares -SOOO nice!

Tracey said...

OMG your pages are outstanding and I love your tag too - such an inspiration TFS XXX

Margaret said...

Wonderful wintery pages, looks fab, I'm looking forward to this challenge! Mx

Caro said...

great idea of using a book!

sharon said...

Fantastic that you use this old book! Your page looks wonderful! I am absolutely in love with your snowy bird tag, please do share the technique....I love it!

BTW, my relatives think I am nuts when we open gifts at Christmas and I start grabbing all the neat papers and different ribbons...and I don't keep it a secret!

dianehobbit said...

I am joining in with both of these challenges too, although I still have to make my first tag. Really like the colouring of your journal page.

WillieburgScrapper said...

Hi JO,

I'm so glad you joined us over at Gauche Alchemy- I can already tell I'm going to learn a LOT from you. If this is your Project Life or 365 January page I'm in AWE- well I'm in awe anyway but I LOVE what you did with the paints.

Miss Iowa said...

Love your calendar page (very wintry!) and how you're creating an altered book at the same time. Great idea.

Katt aka LaLa said...

Gorgeous page!! I love how you upcycled an old book. Also loving all the snowflakes and sparkly glitter! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog too. I've been wearing polka dots and filling my pockets with coins for the past 2 New Years, but no great fortune yet :( Oh well, doesn't hurt to try :p