Friday, 6 January 2012

What's Rocking My World This Friday! + Postcard Challenge Week 1

Hello, if you have arrived from 
Darcy's Postcard Challenge
and don't particularly want to read about 
what has been good about my week,
 please scroll on down.......

(Click the pic to join in)
For my first Rocking post of 2012
 I'll put this list of gratefuls into context:

The wind here is not just blustery, it is gale force.
The rain has been absolutely lashing down 
(and dripping through the conservatory roof).
It's been the dreaded return to school/work week.
The days are short, the nights too long.
Pay day is such a lonnnnnnnnnnnng way off.

Ok?  You get where I'm coming from?
Good.
Bearing all that in mind, you'll understand that
it's the little things that have made a 
difference this week.

***
Full English Breakfast
out with Grant, Luke and Hope on
Bank Holiday Monday.

A real treat on the last day of the Festive break.

Cooked by someone else,
not a pot, pan or plate for me
to wash up.

Delicious.

*
New Year's Day,
when Grant's family came to us for lunch.
It was lovely to see Karen and Barry,
and Grant's parents John and Barb.
We started planning our 2012 summer holiday
when we'll all be going away together :o)

*
I managed to come up with some good ideas that 
actually helped DD Hope with 
her Photography homework.

*

Kickstarting my creative 2012 
with various 'arting' challenges.
I've probably definitely committed myself
to far too many but I'll see how I get on.
Nothing else for a while
(famous last words!).

*

The great news that my work colleague and 
friend Sarah enjoyed a lovely family Christmas 
and New Year. They've been through 
some tough times together recently
and it made me super happy that they shared
such a special time together too.

*

Watching 'The Imbetweeners' film together.
It's so difficult to find a film that all four of us
want to watch.  We got this dvd for Luke 
for Christmas. It's SO inappropriate 
and yet SO funny, especially if you have a
 teenage boy in the family.


***
Well, that's about it!
I'll post this with Virginia as usual
and later I'll go 'Rocker hopping' 
to read what everyone else has to cheer about.

XXX

And now for something completely different.....

It's Week 1 of Darcy's Postcard Challenge.
This is such a brilliant idea,
loosely based on Nick Bantock's books
A postcard is to be made each week,
'from' a country specified by Darcy.
However, not only is the postcard to be made
but they will be 'sent' to and from 2 
imaginary characters.
The 'correspondence' between the 2 characters will, 
over the course of the 52 weeks, tell their story.
Darcy has explained it far better on her blog -
if you click 
you can read her 
detailed explanation.

I have decided that my 2 characters will be 
 1 Police Detective Inspector Clark
and a 'gentleman jewel thief' on the run,
2 Lord James Forsyth.


The first country Darcy has set is

Austria.


My postcard is of an Alpine Marmot.
To add texture, I lined my postcard with
 torn paper which I gessoed.
Over this I drew an Austrian style background
(I was thinking of The Sound of Music
as I was 'arting'!),
and added colour using 
Inktense watercolour pencils.
I lightly gessoed again over the top to 
mute the rather over-bright colours.
The marmot photo was cut out, 
 extra colour added with the watercolour 
pencils, charcoaling round his edges
and finally gave him a little Austrian flag to wave.
The mountains in the background were given a 
dusting of snow (glitter glue), and the flowers 
edged with charcoal to subdue them a bit.

On the back.....

(Translation below!)

Dear Detective Inspector Clark,

So you're reopening my case files.  Again!  You really want to see me in prison, don't you?

I thought of you when I saw this local alpine marmot.  They also are not well suited to heat and they emit a shrill whistle when they spot a predator - just like you when you saw me escaping the diamond heist of '95!

Good luck!

Lord James Forsyth

PO Box 9553
Vienna 
Austria

Be not concerned about the PO Box details given
by Lord Forsyth, he will not get caught that way! 
 There will be information about his mail 
collection in later postcards.

The cat and mouse doodles are Lord Forsyth's 
attempt at humour.  Does he see himself as 
the cat or the mouse, I wonder?!

I had to get quite a lot of information in on the 
first postcard, so it might seem a little garbled.  
Hopefully subsequent postcards 
will have less writing.

Darcy's challenge is going to be great 
fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what 
everyone else does for each week's theme :o)

(I'm still finishing the book that all 52 
postcards are going to be stored in........).

XXX

49 comments:

Sam said...

Great rocking post, its definately the little things that make us grateful in January! I LOVE your postcard for the postcard challenge, you have put so much thought into it, i will look forward to reading the exploits of Lord Forsyth and Detective inspector Clark over the year!!!

CRAFTY WOMBLE said...

A double hello, I am new to the rockettes (and had to watch on since October before I could join in last week........) I am also doing Darcy's postcards, such fun all the different storylines :) It was also my first chance to craft since before Christmas so it was twice the happiness. I know what you mean about the treat of eating out and not having to clear away - it was incredible seeing all the people pile into Ikea as it opened for their bargain huge breakfast, the joys of our in town store. Have a great week :)

Gina said...

Sorry Jo, didn't read rest of your post yet....had to see you postcard story lol. Brilliant idea!!! :D Mine will always have too much writing lol :D XXX

Virginia said...

Morning Jo - oooh what a lovely post all wrapped up with Darcy's post card challenge, I can't make my mind up whether to join in or not yet - although I'm loving your story line!

The weather has been atrocious hasn't it this week - a month ago they were talking about summer droughts due to the lack of rain and then we have this last couple of weeks and I think "really?" drought - I don't think so!

Loving the idea of a family breakfast with no washing up might have to have a go at one of them myself!

New Year's Day sounds lovely and a family holiday sounds fun - where you off to this year? Is it a cruise again?

Good for you helping DD Hope with her homework

I did read your creative challenges and just assumed you had lots and lots of free time - now reading in between it sounds like you'll have to be ultra organised LOL!

Glad your friend was able to have a good family Christmas too.

We didn't catch the Inbetweeners series so the film hasn't appealed but I know others who find it brilliant so glad you managed to find a family film to share!

Now the idea for your Post card challenge is awesome, can't wait to see if Police Detective Inspector Clark get's his jewel thief!

Hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend

Much hugs as always!

Doone said...

Here to check out the postcard - which is fabulous , and your story will be very entertaining,

I also read you rocking friday - Niall was 3 meters from being killed by a falling tree in Derbyshire yesterday- I'm so grateful he came home in one piece.

Dx

Darcy said...

Love it! What a fantastic start, gorgeous arting, love that you used texture. Very excited about your thief on the run, hope he doesnt get caught.

craftattack said...

Sounds like your January got off to a good start. I was often in Austria, but never saw or heard one of those little animals yet! Looking forward to seeing how your story develops! Valerie

Alix said...

Another friend recommended 'The Inbetweeners' saying it was very very rude but hilariously funny. Maybe I'll acquire it and watch as a family - Ellen also rarely wants to see the same films as us. Actually she'd probably be squirming if she watched with us - and I might be too!
I love your postcard and the whole challenge (will have to go and look at others) - look forward to following Lord James Forsyth's travels.
x

Printed Material said...

Jo you have a magic sense of humour and this postcard challenge will give it full rein. Shall follow the exploits of Clark and Forsyth with enthusiasm. I'm already rooting for the 'bad' guy!

NatashaMay said...

Lol! That is fabulous! Is that the same one that wraps up the Milka chocolate in the commercial?? :)))

WrightStuff said...

This is going to be a great chase across the globe! Love the cheeky marmot!!

Carmen said...

Oh Jo! Am sat here still chuckling at your postcard. You know what's running through my head? "Why hello Clarice" You will perhaps only get that if you have been forced to watch Hannibal a zillion billion times and live with an Anthony Hopkins obsessive who wants the music and speech from that film played at his funeral. Needless to say your scenario puts me a little in mind of Hannibal Lecter and also the film Catch Me If You Can :D Can't wait to follow your story!

As for your Rocking post, mmmmm drooling at a fried breakfast, the local greasy spoon on the estate where Craig used to have ihis unit does the best, if gigantic, fried breakfast in the world. *drooool*

Kimber said...

Love your postcard! The story line is brilliant! What fun! Can't wait to hear what happens with these two.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Great rocking post, My boys have already seen the inbetweener film at the pictures and have refused to watch it with us... as a family LOL!!
The postcard challenge looks really interesting and unique...you always find the best challenges Jo...Mmmm just wondering if I could squeeze this challenge in too, like you a little over-committed already, but hey whats one more LOL!!
Love what you did with your first postcard :)
Jan x

Catie Cuddles said...

Love the story ... how amusing and intriguing! Also loving the marmot!

SusieJ said...

Loving your gratefuls this week Jo - it's the little things that help us get by..:)
Really like your postcard and can't wait to read the next instalment...great fun!!
Hugs xx
p.s. well done on helping Hope with her h/work....I very occasionally still get texts asking for help..nice to feel useful!lol

Tammy Freiborg said...

lol - love the humor and images!

Susan T said...

You have a lovely sense of humour Jo and I am glad that you are feeding yourself up with cooked breakfasts. you sound as if you have a lot on your crafting plate for this year. I can't wait to see the outcome of Lord Forsyth's exploits. I do love a baddie. The film sounded very good, we will have to catch that one.

Lulabelle said...

Love your postcard, can't wait to see what happens next!
This is fun, isn't it!

Sarah said...

Oh you are brave - no WAY I would watch the Inbetweeners movie with any of my children (one's too young anyway, but I wouldn't even watch it with the grown up sons, too embarassing!!)

Love your postcard for Darcy's thang, it's going to be fun reading everyone's stories and seeing how the characters develop.

sugar Creek said...

Hey anytime that you don't have to cook and clean up rocks my world too!!
Love your postcard! I love his little face! xx

Sabrina said...

Always impressed with your originality. How did you ever come up with a marmot?! Love it. Can't wait for your story reveal.

Have a great weekend. I'm going to check out Inbetweeners now. With a teenager in the house (aka knuckle dragger) we like some inappropriate comedy to bond over.

lorig said...

A Jewel thief and a detective, this postcard story line is sure to be interesting to follow.

Alison xx said...

Your marmot is fab. I can't wait to read the rest of your story. A xx

Menopausalmusing said...

What a brilliant start to this project, I shall love following it to see where your imagination takes us............

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

Happy 2012, Jo!
I always enJOY your Friday posts, especially your artwork.
have a lovely weekend,
Kimberly

Manon said...

I am here from the Postcard challenge and oh how you made me smile! I love the story and your characters. It made me laugh and will be back for more reads!!!
Nice meeting you and happy new year.
ManonX

Shirl said...

I love a good mystery Joanna and this certainly looks as if it is going to be a good read, as for the postcard just fabulous comes to mind.

Hugs Shirley x x

Esther said...

Fab postcard and intriguing start to the story - I love a good guy chasing bad guy adventure ! Esther xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

wow, I am impressed you are doing the postcard challenge a la Nick bantock. It sounds like a wonderful idea, but I just could not wrap my brain around it at this moment - I will be glad to see you do this though, Joanna! Fab boo! Really, so imaginative. I look forward to your future postcards.

but you know what? that "Full English breakfast" really sounds decadent! I may just have to visit you sometime in the future and be treated to one, with no dishes for either of us to clean up!!
big hugs across a large pond, made smaller by the internet ; ) lenna

Cazro said...

A fellow postcarder- loving the start of your story and your humerous art. Exciting and interesting times ahead? Caz

My Heart Exposed Yarns said...

this is amazing Jo, love the Lord on the run its brilliantly entertaining, cant wait to read how this story unfolds, love the humour contained within your arty postcard too, its just brilliant :)
Rock on week 2 !!
Helen xx

Cynthia said...

Love the postcard. Marmot with flag hilarious. I'm still chuckling. Intriguing storyline. Looking forward to more.

good grief with your gale winds and rain. hope it all leaves quickly

LadyofLostTimes said...

I love it he is to cute!! and I am digging the story!

teri said...

Well now I'll have to rent the Inbetweeners -- I've never heard of it. Your postcard is delightful and so very unique - alpine marmot indeed! I didn't know such a creature even existed. You've given Lord James quite a personality already.

Claire said...

Love your postcard it really made me smile. what great characters, i can't wait to hear more about their adventures
Claire x

Joan said...

Love the marmot ! great postcard and the story line is brilliant !

Joan

missy k said...

Hi

Glad you had a good week... enjoyed sharing it - and seeing you last week.

Mum and I have been checking out holidays! Found some good ones :)

I LOVE your postcode..... looking forward to seeing this story develop...

gotta dash, we are going to watch Public Enemy and I am being nagged.

love to you all

Karenx

Janet said...

Lord Forsyth is clearly a cunning rogue. His comparison of DI Clark to an alpine marmot is most astute. I think you have captured the natural alpine habitat perfectly and hope his flat feet do not hinder the investigations!

Janet xx

Sandra said...

Oh, you have a very mysterious first postcard. Wonderful!♥
Just came by to thank you for commenting on my card. I'm going to follow your blog, have to know what's going on here... :)

Maz said...

Love the marmot! Looking forward to seeing the story unfold... x

Tracey said...

he he how intriguing, your tale is going to be a hoot, I can tell already, brilliant little marmot and what a thrilling start to the tale, cant wait to see what they get up to in Spain xxx

TheFairyyellowbugQueen said...

Joanna your marmot illustration is fantastic. I love him. Oh I hope he and Samuel will meet one day. I look forward to following your journey in this adventure! *smiles* Norma

Dee said...

Oh that's brilliant and I love the element of comedy. Well done.

iamrushmore said...

oh THIS will be fun! love that marmot holding the flag.

Margaret said...

off to a fab start I see! this challenge is going to be so much fun! Mx

Jackie Humphreys said...

I love the start of this story. Looking forward to seeing it develop. Love the art work too.....

Jen said...

Late joining in so playing catch up, great idea. Like the art work.
Jen x

Janet Ghio said...

I love your marmot!! So great!