Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Altered Matchbox

For my next 
Gauche Alchemy project, 
I decided to alter a beaten up old
matchbox that has been in my
'things to alter' basket for a gazillion years
(or should I say, one of my many
things 'to-alter' baskets?!).

Come on up, little matchbox,
at last your special moment is here!


This matchbox is a larger matchbox
(6.5cm x 11cm).
First of all I covered the outside of the box
with the top layer of a GA paper napkin.
This one is a stunning peacock feather design
which inspired my colour choices for this project.

Once the glue was dry,
I stuck on a layer of black net
this was not very easy
and had me grinding my teeth a bit).
I neatened up the edges with thin black ribbon
(you know the pesky ribbon that comes in new 
clothes that I think is for easier hanging
but then always hangs out of the clothing?).

I then glued a piece of GA Punchinella onto 
a corner (I loved the dark petrol colours),
onto which I stuck a GA paper flower
(tinted with ink and edged with glitter glue).
I stuck an old diamante button
 - with the shank removed -
into the middle (it's missing a couple of gems
 but I rather liked that, giving a 
feel of faded glamour). 



While that was drying I covered the outside 
of the inner tray with black Staz-on ink
and painted the inside with black acrylic paint.
Also on the inside I added a light layer of 
glitter glue to give a dark shimmer.
I lined the floor of the tray with mirror card
(from my stash, saved from some 
underwear packaging - the packaging turned 
out to be better than the underwear!).

I used two types of tape to adhere the film 
negative with the film star image (from stash).
I took a GA paper flower (again tinted with
 ink and edged with glitter glue), and then
I stitched a GA black bead into the centre of 
the flower and stuck it into the box.

Another piece of the mirror card was stuck to 
the front of the drawer and a found earring 
became a drawer pull.




 Finally, onto the bottom of the box 
I stuck 4 GA jeans rivets, 
so they are now little feet :o)

Thank you for looking!

XXX


12 comments:

Anns Art said...

What can I say...it's Brilliant, so cleverly done...right down to the little feet.

SusieJ said...

Oh, wow!! Amazing work...I love it, right down to its' little feet.
It looks very glamorous..
Hugs xx

Chrissy said...

Amazing! Beautiful work and details.

Susan T said...

That is one dressed up matchbox. I too love the little feet on the bottom. I can imagine the box preening itself and thinking "Look at me now"

Monica said...

It is just lovely. The best way to glue netting is to use bond a web, wonder under or any fabric fusible.

Maggi said...

Another awesome project, love this Jo!

missy k said...

What a lovely up do!

Karenx

Jill said...

this must be the most glamorous matchbox I've ever seen, terrific

Gaby Bee said...

Brilliant! Your matchbox looks fantastic...love the little feet!

Gaby xo

BadPenny said...

What a happy little ex-matchbox she is now ! Full of glamour. I like how you add some of your own bits & bobs while using the GA materials brilliantly !

Virginia said...

Jo that is fantastic, who could have thought a matchbox could be so glamorous!

It's fabulous!

Hugs

Sam said...

Just beautiful! Love the peacock napkin and how you layered it with lace/net. What a beautiful creation from an old matchbox!! x