Saturday, 4 February 2012

Another charity shop wonder

I have certainly been in the right place
at the right time recently.
I went into the Oxfam where I bought the 
huge pile of retro postcards
mentioned in yesterday's post and 
found this vintage beauty.

For just £14.99 (about US $23).


The book clasps are beautiful
and the pages are edged with gold.


Inside are many original cabinet cards,
and they all seem to be from the same family.

Yes, they've got names!

I got so excited when I saw they had names.


I haven't taken the photos out yet
to see if there's any more information 
on the back but I will soon. 


Their clothes are just wonderful.


It would appear that poor Rev Milligan drowned.


I hope Anne Parkinson had a sparkling personality....



This one seems to have been tinted,


and on the back and it has been dated 1863.

In total there are 33 cabinet cards,
with just 3 named but empty pages throughout the book.
I'm going to have to do some research on this family,
don't you think?!

Btw, don't for one minute think that I am
going to tell you which Oxfam these treasures 
were found in!

XXX

18 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Oh my lord, you've hit charity shop gold! I'm going purple with envy now!!

Susan T said...

That is bl--dy brilliant Jo. What a find, let me know if you want me to look anyone up on ancestry, how very exciting. They were obviously sitting there ready to be brought back to life by YOU.

SusieJ said...

Green with envy here! What an amazing find! Have fun researching and using the photos and clasps.
Hugs xx
p.s. spoilsport! not telling us which Oxfam ! lol

Jewels said...

oyh you sure did hit the jackpot - I would have been rolling in the aisle with you fighting over it (LOL). REALLY hope there is more information on the back (like how did the poor Rev drown!) Enjoy! J

missy k said...

How wonderful....

isn't so sad that these family treasures end up in a charity shop?

obviously good for you.... but you know what I mean.

I would love to have something like this for my family.

This has so inspired me to get back to my family tree research!

Thank you!!!!

Karenx

Hope you get just the 'right' amount of snow!!!!!!

MaygreenFairies said...

Good old Oxfam!! I have been volunteering at my local Oxfam now for four years and I have about six of these wonderful Albums, very similar to yours, and a couple with gorgeous flower borders. Oxfam does have some real treasures, you just need to be patient and they do come along. Lovely post x

Virginia said...

OMG I want it - it's gorgeous - what an awesome find - honestly I can't even begin to imagine the whole history of that side of things - absolutely fantastic!

Tracy said...

That is really gorgeous! you are very fortunate to have found that beauty!

craftattack said...

How mean can you get!! What a treasure, Valerie

Susan said...

Wow, what a fabulous photo album!I'm so jealous!! :)

sugar Creek said...

WOW you hit the jackpot with that! Plus you got it at an awesome deal, so cheap at that price!!!
Oh i'm sure her personality was a colorful one!

Printed Material said...

I've never seen anything so fabulous in my local Oxfam Jo and I am having a serious case of envy here. I think you had a true bargain when you see the prices of cabinet cards on somewhere like Ebay. You must research the people and give them identity and a story of their own. What a project that could be!

Menopausalmusing said...

Good Grief! What a find, it was waiting for YOU! :O))))))))

Jennie Louise said...

Sad in a way that something so unusual and precious was found in a charity shop... Im sure you will treasure it Jo !
jennie. x

Sam said...

OMG, what a find! So beautiful and the clasps are lovely. I hope you manage to find out some details about the family, how interesting that will be! I bought an old ledger recently and spent hours reading through all the entries, I found it mesmerising! x

Maggi said...

Oh.My. You found an amazing treasure! I am positively drooling with jealousy! Holy crap! :D

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

OMG!!! What a Fantasticlicious find!! Green with envy here! ;)...saying that..I'm so glad it fell into your arty hands!
Jan x

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh my goodness, what a find and what fun you will have! I think you will be returning to that shop : ))