Monday, 13 February 2012

Lucian and David

So, I've been a real 
'culture vulture'
as my friend Dawn said
(she'd just been to see the new Muppet Movie
and felt our experiences might have been 
rather different!).

Firstly, I went with my friend Louise to the new
Lucian Freud exhibition: Portraits 
in London.

(source)
 I enjoyed this exhibition.
It was arranged chronologically
and it was so interesting
to see how his style developed over the years, 
from the 1940's through to his death last year.
He continually pushed himself creatively
and his artwork was becoming increasingly textured.

I particularly liked his earlier artwork,
such as 'woman with a daffodil'
and 'man with a feather'.

By the end of the exhibition
the paintings were HUGE!

I found a great website which has a good
number (probably all) of his paintings


Having enjoyed the exhibition,
Louise and I had a light lunch in the cafe
in the basement of the Gallery
and then we went to the 

Taylor Wessing
Photographic Portrait Prize 2011
which was in the last few days
of being shown.

This exhibition was fascinating.
We could have looked at those photographs for ages.
The subject matter was diverse;
sometimes shocking, sometimes comical;
and sometimes just plain odd.
But ALWAYS interesting.

I'll definitely be going back next year
for the 2012 version.

*

Then today DD Hope and I went to
in London's Piccadilly
for the new
David Hockney exhibition:
A Bigger Picture.


I was so glad we'd been able to get advance tickets
because the queue outside snaked around the 
forecourt of the Royal Academy
and although I heard a member of staff saying 
the queue would take more around an hour, 
I think it would have been more like 2 hours 
judging by the speed it was moving.
Phew!

Funnily enough, I think I've enjoyed this
exhibition more than I thought I did at the time.
At the time I was amazed at the size of the
artwork (often on many canvases), I LOVED the
colours, which ranged from the literal to the
surreal, and I was impressed with Hockney's
continuing creative development
(his ipad artwork was really rather good
and an exciting new medium)

However, it is only afterwards,
 having got away from the crowds, 
 that I find myself really relishing the paintings.

My favourite painting is the one
shown in the Exhibition flyer above - 
such wonderful colours, simplicity of line
and yet complication in detail.
Brilliant.

While we were there,
I signed up to be a 'Friend' of
The Royal Academy.
For a £90 yearly membership fee,
I can go to any exhibitions there
as many times I like,
and take someone with me,
such as Grant or Hope or another
family member. Neither I nor my guest 
will have to pay another penny.
The Hockney tickets for today were refunded,
and I also got a good discount on the
David Hockney 'A Bigger Picture' book 
which made it cheaper than Amazon.

I might go back to the Hockney exhibition again,
once the school holidays are over and the
crowds have diminished.

XXX

13 comments:

missy k said...

Great start to the holidays :)

Karenx

Monica said...

The Hockney sounds fabulous and the membership a really good buy as I am sure you will use it well.

SusieJ said...

Wow! Amazing visits..love Hockney, not so sure about Freud...wish I'd been to the photographic exhibition.
Bargain too with the membership.
Hugs xx

Jewels said...

Phew you are really packing it in - lucky you! J

Chris said...

Hi Joanna, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Printed Material said...

That Friend of the Royal Academy thing sounds like a bargain. If only I lived closer! I would love to see both of these shows and must follow up on the photogrpahic exhibition too. And as for the Muppets..... even more cultural icons! You must be experiencing cultural overload!

Printed Material said...

That Friend of the Royal Academy thing sounds like a bargain. If only I lived closer! I would love to see both of these shows and must follow up on the photogrpahic exhibition too. And as for the Muppets..... even more cultural icons! You must be experiencing cultural overload!

Sam said...

Wow, the exhibition sounds fantastic, so glad you had a good time and the membership deal sounds great. I have been away for the weekend and have just caught up on all your posts! Love the box you did for Gauche academy and your rocking post for this week. Your postcard is great, love the Mona Lisa painting!
Hope you have a great week x

Maggi said...

I have to tell you, you've really inspired me to pay attention to what's going on in my own city and to start going to events like these. I can only imagine that each is inspiring in its own way and contributes to keeping creatively fresh in one's own mind.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

if i was there in London, I would certainly be with you!! So wonderful all you are taking in Joanna... xoxo

BadPenny said...

oohhh ! please please can I be your guest sometime ?
Glad you had such cultural fun x

Susan T said...

I think I have said this before Jo, you are so lucky to have such wonderful places close by. A yearly membership to the Royal Academy sigh...

Carmen said...

Although I kind of took a breath when you said £90, when you broke it down - that's a bargain isn't it. Sometimes you can't even get two concert tickets these days that cover that and if you can get up to London you'll cram so much into that price. Bargain.

Said it before and I'll say it again, am loving (and slightly jealous) reading about your art adventures :)