Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Brooklyn Sketchbook Project: Limited Edition

My Limited Edition Sketchbook
is finished.


This has been keeping me very busy
and has literally been a labour of love.


My father, who passed away in 2010,
was a keen stamp collector and had 
various collections. He was also an avid reader 
of books and he adored wildlife.
I'm sad to say that I didn't take much interest 
in his stamps - it was just something he did, 
a quiet hobby. He was a quiet man.
As a child I have memories of him 
standing in the kitchen, soaking his stamps, 
whistling along to classical music on the radio
or listening to Radio 4.


When we had to accept that he was terminally ill
he asked if I wanted to take a collection.  
He stressed that there was little, or no,
 monetary value, but I 'might like the pictures.'  
I brought home his collection of stamps 
about animals, birds and insects 
from around the world.


It was some time after he passed away 
that I could bring myself to look at his 
stamps.  Wow! They are beautiful.


They sit on the shelves in folders,
 which seems a shame.
They should be looked at and admired.


When I signed up to do the
Limited Edition Sketchbook Project
I chose the title
"Pictures and Descriptions".


I decided to complete my sketchbook
with the stamps as my inspiration.


I lined each page with old book pages,


gave them a coat of gesso and 
painted the background.


The pages needed reinforcing
because the book started to fall apart.
Luckily this suits my style anyway
so I wasn't worried about having duct
tape and cardboard 'plasters' 
holding it together :o)


I used quotes, poems, facts and proverbs
to describe the pictures.


I learnt quite a lot in the process of 
making this book!


I enjoyed using colour and texture throughout.


While making the book I thought about my Dad
and remembered happy days :o)


One of the double page spreads will be selected
by The Art House Co-op
and will be published in a book.


A stamp (or two) that my Dad chose will
be seen by many.
This makes me happy.


I don't mind that I won't see this book 
again once it's been sent off to 
The Brooklyn Art Library as
the pleasure for me was in the making 
and the remembering.


The 2013 Sketchbook Project will be launched
soon and I think I'll be signing up again.
In October the European 2012 Sketchbooks
will be coming to the UK and I'll go and see them,
maybe even say hello to mine 
- The Encyclopedia of Me -
(you can see it here).


In the meantime I've got a gazillion 
things to catch up on!

Thank you for wading through all these photos
and my blurble.

In loving memory of
my Dad,

XXX



30 comments:

Tarnished Rose said...

Wonderful Jo. What an awesome memorial of your father.

Smiles~
Marilyn

Cheryl said...

this is fantastic. it's beautiful to look at, but most of all i love all the little sayings you've chosen to match with the stamps. a true labour of love.

Chrissy said...

Holy crap! This is BEAUTIFUL! I love that you used your dad's stamps and made it a tribute. Such a beautiful book.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Your sketchbook is AMAZING Jo!! You can see that a lot of time, artistic effort and LOVE as gone in to this Beauty......and what a beautiful tribute to your dear dad ...
Jan x

craftattack said...

Great sketchbook and a wonderful tribute to your Dad! Valerie

Monica said...

it is a lovely book and i think sad you have to give it up. You should make one for yours self with his stamps as it is always wonderful to drop in on memories.

sparklinggnome said...

Honestly, I'm at a loss to describe the deep feelings I have for this beautiful piece of art. Since I have such a close relationship with my Dad, I feel brokenhearted a bit, but also so uplifted by how you've honored him with such an amazing tribute. Lovely, lovely work, lovely words, just amazing. <3

Carmen said...

It wasn't a wade through - it was an absolute joy. Your Dad, he knew exactly what he was doing giving you those stamps didn't he :) This is just on another level to your art Jo. Beautiful.

Scraps said...

Gorgeous work and even more beautiful meaning behind the work. Really wonderful job!

sugar Creek said...

That is breathtaking to me. I can feel and see the love for your dad in this. Congratulations on getting that page published!! Really just touching art!xx

sugar Creek said...

That is breathtaking to me. I can feel and see the love for your dad in this. Congratulations on getting that page published!! Really just touching art!xx

Anns Art said...

Wonderful book Jo. I'm sure your Dad would be very pleased you were inspired by his collection.

misty said...

This is amazing Jo! Every page is so gorgeous and you can tell there is so much heart poured into this project!

Menopausalmusing said...

Such a lovely way of commemorating your dad. The variety of stamps made for a great array of quotes - great to see that Marge and Homer made it into there! ;O)

WillieburgScrapper said...

This is so incredibly touching and wonderful a project! I LOVE all the pastel blending, the poetry and the beautiful stamps! I would resist "sending those off" but in your book they face a much better fate than being put away for "safe keeping". I also really love the borders on each page- this journal is a HUGE fave! I will be seeking it out when it hits the shelves here in BK! I see what you mean by "plasters"- that is something I hadn't thought of- I just started researching how to make mini book and art journals- I LOVE the dimension they add to the page!

missy k said...

I loved all the pages of your sketchbook.

My favourite was the 'ocean dark and deep'

What a meaningful project to have worked on... connecting with something your dad loved so much.

I think it's a good thing to send it on its travels.... somehow it just seems right

Have a beautiful day.... the sun is shining here today (for now)

Karenx

Susan T said...

So much work has gone into this wonderful tribute to your Dad Jo. He would be very touched by the sentiment I am sure.

Jill said...

What a beautiful work of art and memorial to your Dad. The work you have put in to it has been a true labour of love, and how wonderful that you are sending it off into the world.

SusieJ said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. This is gorgeous Jo and deserves to be seen by the world.
Well done.
Hugs xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

jo. i have to compose myself here . . . what a gorgeous book in oh, so many ways. There is a slightly different style to your work of love here, that went into this book. I am going to have to look through your pages in detail, all over again to fully take it in. And, I feel exactly the same as you that i will not be sad when I send my sketchbook off. It is the making and the doing that bring me happiness. Glad we are doing many of the same projects. xoxo

BadPenny said...

Such love and attention to detail gone into this wonderful tribute Jo. I love all the snippets of facts. Lovely to join in such a big project too x

Printed Material said...

Jo, I think your Dad would have been proud and glad to see his collection used in such a brilliant way. This is such a labour of love. Just fabulous.

sugar Creek said...

Thanks for letting me know that I will fix it, so sorry!
So glad you liked the article! I"m not much of a writer at all, but I tried! xx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

I am back Joanna. totally wowed by this sketchbook, totally. Amazing beautiful work of love. xoxoxo

Margaret said...

I felt quite emotionl when I read this post, such a beauitful loving tribute to your Dad. Your pages are amazing, your colour choices and art work so carefully done with the stamps holding centre stage, so special.
Mx

Jewels said...

I loved looking at all the pages Jo - what a wonderful tribute to your father. I'm sure you have done him proud... :)

Sam said...

Just beautiful x

Distinctly Daisy said...

What a stunning project. Your creativity really shines through every page. I wish I had an ounce of your imagination & talent. Brilliant!

Jane Housham said...

Jo, I missed this when you first posted it as I was away. I've just caught up with it now. It's a true tribute to your Dad and you've clearly poured your heart and soul into it. x

denthe said...

OMG Joanna, this is so beautiful and such a wonderful idea! I'm sure your father couldn't have wished for a better destination for his beloved stamps. You're right: they should be seen, and not be sitting in folders.
Thanks for the tips about the POSCA markers. They are my favorite too, I'm just so afraid of ruining them... But seeing how you use them I guess they'll be all right.
Thanks for sharing!
x, denthe