Thursday, 26 April 2012

Photo Response

One of Art House Co-op's projects 
that I was lucky enough to sign up for is
Art House gave a choice of 5 photographs and
I chose this image of the front door and steps.


I then had to respond to this image
in whatever visual medium I wanted
as long as it was 4"x6".

I used the original image as the background
and added a copy of a photograph that I bought 
as a job lot. It's such a sweet photograph, 
I can't help but feel sad
that it ended up in a box of 
photos of anonymous people.

(with acetate over chosen image)
The quote, by the wonderful Dolly Parton,
is printed onto acetate.
I used a white paint pen behind so the 
writing would be clear enough to read.

(with acetate flipped back)

I'll pop this in the post tomorrow
and it'll go on display in August 
(with the 999 others)
in the Brooklyn Art Library.

I have just signed up for the 
and my chosen theme is 'chapbook'.
Traditionally, a chapbook is 
a small pamphlet containing
tales, ballads, or tracts sold by peddlers, 
or a small paperback booklet, 
typically containing poems or fiction.

So basically, a mini book containing bits 
of text, images and thoughts.

XXX

15 comments:

Susan T said...

You have certainly used all your right brain there Jo, I don't know how you come up with so many ideas. I wouldn't know where to start.

craftattack said...

Lovely piece Joe! Valerie

SusieJ said...

That's beautiful if somewhat poignant Jo....I'm hoping to stop that happening to my family photos.
Great work...and I love the quote.
Hugs xx

Jewels said...

Wonderful Jo - hope you are feeling better. Looking forward to seeing your chapbook (the kind of thing you read about in old novels....) J

Tarnished Rose said...

Wonderful! Love the image and how you turned a plain stoop into something unique and interesting. The Dolly Parton quote is the icing on the cake.

I know what you mean about how such sweet photos can end up in anonymous lots. I collect old cabinet photos and tintypes (get mine at auction) and it always makes me a little sad that no one wanted to keep those pictures of their ancestors.

Smiles~
Marilyn

Monica said...

Great re do of the image. Once again i am contemplating this project.

missy k said...

This is such a sweet piece....

I love the photograph you've worked with...

Hope your feeling better :)

Karenx

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh, what a marvelous response you have made, Jo. It pulls at my heart! Kudos to you and I hope you are feeling better today : ) xo lenna

sugar Creek said...

Love this! I feel when I see photos at the antique store that how can a family just discard their family? They look so lonely and I figure they need to be in some art brought back to life in a way. I really like that number!

BadPenny said...

This is gorgeous Jo. I love the images & the layers.
Always preferred Dolly's version of "I will always love you" to Witney's ( tho love hers too ! )

Virginia said...

Fabulous stuff Joanne - love it!

Carmen said...

This is gorgeous Jo. Really touching. CAn't wait to see your new Sketchbook taking shape.

Menopausalmusing said...

A lovely response to this........ a quote that I hadn't seen before and you have used it so beautifully.

misty said...

This is just stunning, and I'm a little surprisedthat someone would through out those photo's too...your treasure I guess!

Distinctly Daisy said...

I like this alot Jo. Great balance & the tip of using the white pen behind the acetate wording is nothing less than pure genius!