Friday, 13 April 2012

What's Rocking My World This Friday! + Postcard Challenge, Iceland

Darcy's Postcard Challenge 
is at the bottom of this post.  
Please scroll down (or you are 
welcome to read this post also)

(Click the pic to play along)
In the words of the late great 
Ian Dury (and the Blockheads),


this post is all about

"Reasons to be cheerful, part 3.
1, 2, 3" etc.

My Friday Rocking post
finds my reasons to be cheerful from each week.

***
Hope is back from Italy safe and sound.
She had a fabulous time,
seems to have existed solely on ice cream
and enjoyed wearing her shorts and t-shirts.
She even got a pink nose from the sunshine, lucky girl.
She went to Pompeii,
climbed up Mount Vesuvius 
(a live and smoking volcano YIKES),
visited Solfatara,
Capri,
Herculaneum,
and Sorrento.
She shared a room with 3 other girls
(can you imagine four 15 year old girls in one room?
Apparently it was The Battle of the Shower at dawn!!).

*
Hope, Grant and I spent a day in London.
We visited The British Museum,
specifically the Ancient Egyptian section.
Fascinating stuff.
After grabbing a bite to eat we wandered
along to Covent Garden.
We enjoyed watching the many entertainers.
We also saw Bob the Cat....


with his man,
James Bowen.


I'd read about them in a newspaper.
James is the only busker in England
who busks with his cat.
There's a really sweet story about how 
these two met. James' life was pretty low 
when he befriended a stray and very 
sick cat, who he named Bob.
They kinda nursed each other to health 
and happiness, each now having 
a reason to live. James has published 
a book, 'A Street Cat Named Bob'
telling their story. 

James handed this to Hope when she popped
some money into his hat after taking photos.

 The book is available on
Amazon UK here.
This short video explains a bit more....


Bob wears a harness because he got scared once
by a fast lorry and he ran off.  James found him
and put the harness on him which Bob is happy to wear.

Anyway, it made my day to see these two
and their close relationship
 :o)

*

I am so happy to have finished my
and I was really moved by the wonderful 
comments that you all left. 
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

*

Time off work has been lovely.

*
Ok, that's about it for this week.
I'll post this later with Virginia
and then pop by the other Rockers
to read their 'reasons to be cheerful'.

***

Darcy's Postcard Challenge.

I'm missed out on a few weeks
and found the thought of trying to catch up
too daunting so I've decided to carry on
where the rest of the group are now

- Iceland -


The background is gesso
into which I stamped random stars,
and then coloured with water soluble crayons.
The image is of the stunning church
of Hallgrimur.  I tried to do it as an image transfer
but that was a big FAIL, so I just stuck the image on
instead.  The scan of the postcard has a slightly blurred 
appearance because I used some iridescent medium, 
which gives a lovely shimmery sheen.
It doesn't look blurred IRL.


Dear James,
You have been rather
quiet, uncharacteris-
tically so.  Are you ill?
Your old accomplice,
Bonkers Bill, who now
lives in a secure unit
in Amsterdam, told me
that you have been
talking a lot about this
Church in Iceland.  I have
been here but have found
nothing that would be of
interest to you.  Hmmmm....
Regards, Ken


Here Ken reveals a cheeky photo sent to
him by Lord James, back from the 1970's
judging by the style of his clothing.


And here we have his thumb print........

Thank you for reading and commenting.
I'll do my best to visit as many of 
you as I can.........

XXX

26 comments:

craftattack said...

Glad you are back with the postcard challenge again, love your shimmery card! Cooool! Great story of Bob the cat, just fantastic, off to Amazon to have a look! Glad Italy survived Hope - oops, did I mean it that way round? Have a fun weekend, Hugs, Valerie & Cissie
I wouldn't even go near that sheep's head, yuck, but seems to be a delicatessen over there....

Gina said...

Was wondering how I was missing your cards lol Have been missing my fix of Lord James :D XXX

mags21 said...

great to have you back. a lovely postcard.

artimagica said...

Your postcard came out beautiful. Nice job! Transfers can be so finicky sometimes! :)

missy k said...

I love your Reykjavik postcard.... I've not heard of that church but it looks stunning.

Hope's trip sounds amazing....

Bob looks one happy cat :)I do like a happy ending

Ahh the 70's! Lord James Forsyth looks quite innocent!

Have a great weekend

WrightStuff said...

We missed you!

Glad you are back. That church is amazing. I found a picture of it too this week. It looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.

I am so touched by Bob. I'm a real cat person so this one got to me.

trisha too said...

jo, your world rocks!

:-)

Darcy said...

yay good to have you back, loved the Bob the cat story. Great card, the background is so perfect. No worries about catching up, you can always do the odd backdated card every now and then if you feel it, but there is no need. x

Carmen said...

Ohhhhhhh, I love the story of Bob the Cat. Thank you for including the You Tube video. What gorgeous creatures, the pair of them!

I'm so jealous that Hope went to Pompeii, it was somewhere my Mum always wanted to go and as a result I too have always been fascinated by it.

Love the postcard and I think the gap between the last one just adds to the mystery :)

Ta for letting me know about the comments over at mine, think I've fixed it now. Am really struggling with the html talk and am dithering now about whether to sneak back to Blogger. Thank goodness for free trials to let you suss a place out.

Jamie Lynn said...

very cool - love the texture

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh GirL! Someone else who can quote Ian Dury (and the blockheads) - I love it! His records were played around the house many o' time when I was younger : )
xoxoxo I am cheerful this week because of YOU!!!

BadPenny said...

Glad Hope had such a fab time. A friend & I used to get the barman put Ian Dury on the minute we got to the pub ! My friend started going out with the barman !

I adore Bob's story !

Lovely icy card & great photo !

Margaret said...

I love my friday visits to your blog, you do such a wonderful update!
Bob the cat and his owner are cool, what a sweet story.
Fab Icelandic atmosphere card, love that background, at first I thought it was tissue, great texture and well yes, the less said about transfers the better...
Mx

Susan T said...

So glad Hope is back with you safe and sound.

I remember Ian Drury's "Hit me with your rhythm stick" played at disco's, that and "Hi Ho Silver Lining" got the boys up to dance, you can imagine! it was always at the end when they had had far too much to drink.

Bob the cat, what a sweet tale, he obviously adores his owner, so much for cat's being aloof.

Virginia said...

Morning sweetie I've got so much blogging catching up to do but had to come and find my Rockettes first! Your post is awesome! Loving the story of James and his cat!

Glad Hope enjoyed her break in Italy and arrived home safe and sound! I've always wanted to visit Pompeii!

May your weekend and week ahead by just as blessed

Hugs

Halle said...

Lovely texture on your card!

abby j said...

Lovely card, Joanna...great texture as well. I think you were successful.....:o)

do,
abby

Sandra Hoogland said...

Yay, he's back! I thought he got caught and there was no more use for sending cards to each other... ;)
I had to look twice because at first it was Iceland from the sky looking on the nose of some fighting airplane... Can I blame the flu???
I love your drawing of the church! ♥

SusieJ said...

Loving the photo of Lord James and the postcard is beautiful...love the shimmer.

Great rocking post too......sniffles here at the story of Bob..
Pleased Hope enjoyed Italy.

Hoping your weekend is as good as your week.
Hugs xx

NatashaMay said...

Great postcard! Love the texture and I love Bob the cat story. :)

Sam said...

Loved reading about Bob the cat, what a wonderful story! Glad Hope had a wonderful time, all the places she saw must have been amazing!
Your postcard is great and I dont think it matters that a few are missing, just blame Royal Mail!

I have just read your other posts as well, I am finding I am only having time to catch up on blogs at the weekend, it means I am missing so much of everyones work!
Hope you have a great week.

Sabrina said...

As usual, I love your image. The shimmer has translated in the photo as a lovely blur! I think it's so hard sometimes to blend a "cut-out" into a handmade background, but yours is seamless. I have come to expect nothing less. And what a fox Lord James is!

gottahavemoxie said...

Glad you decided to just jump in where you are. Awesome card this week!! Love the textured background, it created jus the right effect I think.

Nathalie Thompson said...

I like your cool colors and that church looks like it's ready to take off and fly!

Hoardica is MIA. Ruby is starting to worry.

Jen said...

Great gesso background and that is quite a building. Still chuckling at the picture of Lord James.
Jen x

Jen said...

That is certainly a fine church. Very impressive postcard with a lovely background. Lord James is a handsome bounder isn't he? Love the ruffled shirt.

I am visiting Jen and using her computer that is why this comment looks as though she has posted it.

Janet xx