Monday, 8 October 2012

Mail Art and Postcard Swap with Jewels

My friend Jewels and I recently arranged a 
1:1 Mail Art  and Postcard (4x6) Swap
with the theme of 'Vintage Circus'.

I sent mine to her just before we
went on holiday (that blog post here),
and hers arrived while we were away.
What a lovely welcome home for me!

(Mail Art)
I like to photograph the envelope before I open it 
just in case it tears, but it has taken me 
rather a long time to get round to doing it 
**hangs head in shame**.

Finally, today was the day, hoorah!

I love the soft muted tones of the envelope - 
a brushing of gesso, methinks?


I know Jewels was rather concerned that the
postcard, in particular, might not have survived
the journey - no need to worry, it arrived
safe and sound :)


The postcard made me smile ;D
Don't you just love this guy's costume?!
Jewels explained on the back of the
postcard that she kept on hearing
"The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze"
and was inspired to find out about Jules Leotard,
a French acrobatic performer who developed the
art of the trapeze.  His characteristic one piece
outfit, the leotard, now bears his name.
Sadly, he died at the young age of 28 -
I don't know if this was as the result of a
trapeze accident (I guess health and 
safety wasn't too strict in 1870).

The postcard has Jewels' trademark
superb colour choices, 
a fab image of young Mr Leotard
and a wonderful vintage look.

Thank you so much, Jewels.
I'll swap anytime with you.

I'll leave you with a very vintage version of
 'The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze'
by Henry Hall.

It's so terribly English!


XXX

11 comments:

Carmen said...

I agree - I love the colours on this one. I'm going to have to come back and listen to that You Tube clip :P Craig is watching something at the mo but will have it in my head till I do!

Jewels said...

LOL Jo - loved the clip - I kept expecting them all to jump up and start dancing....thanks for not sharing my Jane Fonda reference wrt leotards....

I actually have another theme in mind...will send you an email.... Cheers

Margaret said...

oh superb!! fab card and clip, who new about leotard, fascinating stuff! Mx

Virginia said...

Oh that's gorgeous Jo - I too love the soft muted colours!

Eileen said...

Interesting learning about Jules Leotard. Glad the postcard arrived safe and sound for you! Will watch the YouTube clip now :-)

SusieJ said...

Fabulous mail art! I too love the colours of the postcard ..and thanks for the story behind "leotard".
Hugs xx

Susan T said...

My, Mr Leotard was a chunky little chap wasn't he. I loved the 'daring young men' song, enunciation isn't what it used to be. Love your new background.xxx

Sam said...

Beautiful postcard, love the theme x

missy k said...

Great mail art.....

Love the muted effect on the envelope

Karenx

BadPenny said...

What super post to come home to - lovely

JansArtyJunk said...

Fab mail art...and I didn't know how the 'leotard' got its name...so thanks for sharing :) Jan x