Sunday, 28 October 2012

Sketchbook Project 2013 WIP

Well, there's really not much to show 
but slow and steady wins the race
as they say. The sketchbook is due in 
at the end of the year so I thought 
I'd better get started.

The theme I chose, from the many offered, is
'Chapbook'.

Rather perversely I chose chapbook 
because I didn't really know what it was.
The definition to be found on Wikipedia
explains that a chapbook is traditionally 
a pocket sized booklet, often illustrated with 
basic woodcuts bearing no relation to the text (!).
Cheaply produced as early as the 15th century, 
they were popular with the lower working classes, 
and contained poems and stories.  
Once read, the books were often
referred to as 'bum fodder' - toilet paper!
An early form of recycling, I suppose :)

(front cover)
I started my chapbook with the cover,
simply painting it with acrylic dabber and 
distressing with Distress Inks.  I included the title,
"Affaires of the Heart"(sic)
and I used a hand carved heart stamp.

(back cover)
I have removed the inner pages of the book 
and will, instead, insert my own made from 
a thicker, more substantial paper.

I think that there are just a couple more days
to sign up for the 2013 Project
so if you're interested, 
click HERE now!

I have joined a new online group
called
which has a blog and flickr page
(run by Lynn Holland)
where all sorts of sketchbooks will be shown 
(not only Sketchbook Project books, but all types
 made by a variety of artists).  It'll be so interesting
to see what other people do.
Everyone is welcome so why don't you
click HERE and see what it is all about?

XXX

14 comments:

missy k said...

Due in the at the end of year? This year? Good luck!!!!

I've never heard of a chapbook.... nice to know yours won't end up as bum fodder! What a quaint expression!!!!! That's the lower working classes for you ;)

Love the title

Karenx

BadPenny said...

No Bum fodder for yours ! great fun Jo x

Monica said...

You're going to be busy. No making Christmas ornaments this year!!!

Susan T said...

Well I never I had never heard of a chapbook. I thought you were going to sneak in phoyographs of David Tennant et al. Bum Fodder!! must tell Patrick he will love that, but as Penny says yours will never suffer from such an ignominious end it will be far too beautiful for that.

Lynn Holland said...

That was an interesting factoid Jo about Chapbook, no wonder you chose it.
Thank you for the write up and link about SKETCHBOOK FRIENDS, it seems to be working well and such lovely creative people joining in.
Lynn x

Virginia said...

Loving the cover Jo, I'll be interested to see what you make of it!

Fabulous stuff!

SusieJ said...

Ooh, what fun...looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Hugs xx

Sam said...

I had no idea what a chapbook was either so thanks for the definition! Love the front cover and cant wait to see what else you do with it! x

Eileen said...

I just can't imagine using books as bum fodder!
Good luck on finishing your chapbook, a very interesting project.

Katie said...

That looks cool- and sounds neat to use your own paper. Can't wait to see more!

JansArtyJunk said...

Looking good already Jo...I keep mean to join in with the sketchbook project ...but never get round to actually doing it!! Oh well, perhaps next year! x

Carmen said...

Bum fodder. I love that expression and it may now make it's way to the shopping list instead of 'loo rolls' :D

Looking good already - will be looking forward to seeing this one progress :) I will check out that sketchbook linky too ;)

Jan Hennings said...

This looks amazing and love the title!

Jane Housham said...

I love the look of the cover. I've finally decided not to do a Sketchbook this time, but am already regretting it just a little bit. Yours looks great.