Thursday, 20 December 2012

Catching up, at last!

I'd like to say that since my last post
I've been having a wild and exciting time, 
partying and having fun.

Well I haven't.

I don't actually know what I've been doing
to distract me for so long -
all I know is that I have been very busy
although sadly, not very busy arting.

I am hoping to remedy that from now on.

Firstly, I have this week's entry for

The 3 prompts provided are;

  1. Headline Prompt: Divided by God: What does 'God' mean to you? How do you access 'God' or the divine or the sacred in your life?
  2. Colour Prompt: Metallics - gold, silver, copper, bronze, or all of them!
  3. Quote Prompt: "This is my simple religion.  There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy.  Our own brain, our own heart, is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."  The Dalai Lama

I really didn't know where I was going with this, 
so I started off with by gessoing a textured 
background on canvas board, which I 
painted metallic colours (gold, silver, copper), 
and then painted over them and then 
painted some more.
Hmmmmmmm, still no inspiration.
Then, walking past the Christmas tree
and picking up a cheap bauble that 
Rosie Mae had knocked off yet AGAIN,
I was immediately transported back to 
where I'd found the bauble and why I had 
bought this outwardly unremarkable decoration 
(it was looking lonely in a charity/thrift shop,
cost 10p and Hope liked it!).
It got me thinking about how precious memories 
are to me and how they can be triggered.
There's quite a lot of sparkle in this piece, 
which doesn't really show up in the photo 
because there's no sunshine today :(

***
I am also joining in with
'52 Weeks of Creative Abundance'
This is a year long group of
inspiration and creativity.


I joined a year long group last year (Life Book 2012)
and FAILED miserably to keep up, for one reason 
or another, but I am DETERMINED to keep up 
with this one! It officially starts tomorrow and I 
have completed the first 'tasks' which is to  
a) find an art journal to work in and then
b) to create a list of soul care practices.

Well, I was so lucky with my art journal - I won mine!
Christi Wich (from The Creative Underground)
gave away a prize for a creative way of showing
 gratitude at Thanksgiving.  I shared the photo of 
my 'I LOVE YOU' bean, as the 
giving and receiving of love is the most 
precious thing for which I am very grateful


.....and I was one of the 2 winners!  
The prize is an amazing art journal, 
made by Christi.  




It arrived yesterday, just in time to be  used as 
my '52 Weeks' class Art Journal :)

(My list of Soul Care Practices)
You can still sign up for the 52 Weeks group,
you'll have to join the 'ning' group first and
then you can enrol.
Interested? Click here!

***

Hope and I are going off on our Exciting Girls Adventure
tomorrow morning, when we'll be setting off for
Winchester Christmas Market, staying overnight at
a nearby Premier Inn and then dropping off to see my
sister-in-law, Missy K on Saturday.

More precious memories will be made :)

XXX

ps I've just noticed this is my 500th post, weeeee!
I'm feeling a giveaway coming on.......


17 comments:

Carolyn Dube said...

I love where you took this Fall Fearless prompt! Your Christmas memory warmed my heart this morning! Those are the treasures! Have a wonderful time on your adventure shopping!

Eileen said...

Congratulations on your 500th post and winning your art journal.
Enjoy your Exciting Girls Adventure, we want to hear all about it!

missy k said...

500 post congrats!

Great journaling Jo...

Good luck with '52 Weeks...' it sounds great.

It's supposed to be sunnyish and dry tomorrow... hooray! Not quite so good on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing you both :)

Karenx

Sabrina said...

Happy to see the post and all the things you are getting up to again. Love the bauble memory, I feel that way about all the the ornaments on our tree too. We do not do a "coordinated" tree with color families and carefully symmetrical garlands. Instead we have ornaments we've received or otherwise acquired over the years. The kids get one from us every year and it usually relates to something in their personality or activity they've been up to that year. They love going through them and recalling which year they received it and why. We have also adopted a few "sad" ones I can't get rid of. Broken or ugly ones still get their spot on the tree.

Have fun with Hope on your adventure, and I hope that Christmas will transform you back to your happy, creative self!

Monica said...

The Christmas Fair sounds fabulous be sure to show lots of photos.

Privet and Holly said...

I LOVE your
soul care list.
Noticing that
"reading blogs"
is not on there.
It would not be
on mine, either,
which is something
to ponder as I
move forward
into 2013. I think
I will make my own
list and title it,
"Things that make
my heart sing."

Thank you for your
continued inspiration
and friendship this
year, Joanna. I would
love to meet you in
person, some day : )

Merry Christmas!

xo Suzanne

craftattack said...

Great piece for FF&F! Love the journal you won, too! Thanks for your card which arrived today! Valerie

Jewels said...

LOL no slacking on 52 Weeks - too many of your peeps also signed up - and if you go down I go down (no pressure). Seriously, looking forward to it - love your list (especially the last practice :>) ... J

Terri Corona said...

I really love your Fall Fearless & Fly piece - don't you love it when suddenly a piece just clicks?

I'm so impressed you're committing to a year long challenge - I personally will not judge you if you get behind now and again! But that great journal you won will definitely be extra motivation.

I love your list - if I were participating I'd just say "ditto"!

SusieJ said...

Fabulous journal Jo and good luck with the year long challenge.
Have a fabulous girl's weekend.
Hugs xx

Virginia said...

I daren't start a year long challenge I won't keep up I know it, but I love to see what everyone is joining in with. I love your list - fabulous stuff and the journal you won is fantastic too, can't wait to see it develop. Have a fabulous weekend ahead Jo!

Alix said...

I love the soul care list - think I will have to make one and make sure to do one every day! Have a great time at Winchester Christmas Market. I've been a couple of times in the past few years and was hoping to go this year but ran out of time. It has a great atmosphere, I think!
x

Marcia said...

Hmmm.. that class sounds interesting!

BadPenny said...

500 posts hurrah ! It's been wonderful getting to know you through your lovely Blog & in person. I love looking at your artwork & see you grow as you learn & create.

Have a wonderful Christmas dear Jo and see you in the new year xx Penny

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Your single Christmas memory got me thinking of some of my own. Amazing how a little thing like a shiny bauble can trigger so much emotion. Enjoy your trip and !erry Christmas

froebelsternchen Susi said...

a wonderful posting!

wish you a wonderful christmastime and a healthy and sucessfull new year and a big hug from
FROEBELSTERNCHEN FROM AUSTRIA

ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY

Linda said...

I am so glad we'll be in the Creative Abundance class together! you know I love the journal you're using and your creatively doodled list :) I'm here from FF & F. I really love how you came to your finished project-just beautiful! Happy 2013!