Saturday, 22 December 2012

Mail Art+Postcard Swap


My regular swapping buddy, Jewels,
suggested 'Classic Sci-Fi' for our theme for
this Mail Art and postcard swap.
What a brilliant suggestion :)

(The First Men in the Moon)
As luck would have it, I was rooting about in
a charity/thrift shop and found an old copy
of HG Wells' 'The First Men in the Moon.'
It's a brilliant story (ahead of its time) 
which is summed up 


Well, it was meant to be, wasn't it?!

The postcard's background is foil tape put through
the Vagabond machine (it's annual outing!) using
Tim Holtz's Riveted Metal Texture Fades
 embossing folder. I then went over this with 
alcohol inks, rubbed back with wire wool
 to give it an aged look.  The male image is Mr Wells 
himself, taken from a page within my book.  
I gave him a spaceman helmet, which I think 
rather suits him! I used the title of the book from 
the spine of the book's cover
and stuck on some Tim Holtz cogs.
'The Sphere' is the name of the space rocket 
constructed to get to the moon.  

(5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......LIFT OFF!!!)
The envelope has been put through the
 Vagabond and was then painted to simulate 
the look of old metal.  I also used the
embossing diffuser template to leave a 
space for the address.

This was such fun to do and it looks like
Jewels had fun with hers too :)

(The Day of the Triffids - at the Palace)
She chose John Wyndham's
 'The Day of the Triffids'
as her Classic Sci-Fi, which she 
explained was required reading at High School.  
The book and the film has clearly had a 
lasting effect on her! She did an image transfer of Buckingham Palace as her background 
(she was more successful than I've been with 
those recently!) and it made me giggle to 
think of the Triffids waiting patiently outside
 the Palace for the Royal family to come out :D

(Front of envelope)
I love the colours of the envelope with the
superb 'vintage-futuristic' space images.
1951 refers to the year the book was published.

(Back of envelope)
As always, I enjoyed my swap with Jewels 
and we have already got another one 
planned.  She has, again, come up with a 
brilliant theme - I'll show you when it's done.

Thank you for reading,
bye for now!

XXX



14 comments:

Gill said...

I love them both Jo but what the heck is a 'vagabond' machine???
Happy Christmas!

missy k said...

Hi Jo

Great Mail Art both sent and received....

LOVE the metal effect on yours.... amazing!

Karenx

Virginia said...

Fabulous stuff Jo, I'm loving that embossing folder, don't think I've seen that one before must keep my eye open!

Printed Material said...

These are both great Jo but like Gill I have no idea what a vagabond machine is! If it only gets an outing once a year I'm already thinking of it as some piece of sci-fi kit in itself. I imagine it to be a huge affair like a tardis.... do put us out of our misery in the next post and explain!

Jewels said...

As the lucky recipient of your mail I too was flummoxed how you did the background - which is truly wonderful! Now I know! Kinda Sorta - off to Google Vagabond Machine LOL. It was a great swap as always Jo...

MrCachet said...

Brilliant! Both of them.

craftattack said...

Great mail art sent and received! Valerie

Monica said...

I never knew he had an embossing folder for that. I spent hours messing with kitchen foil and a retracted ball point pen for that effect. great card Joanne you need to use vagabond more often. I have a Bigz and love it but the cost of those dies!!!!!!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

oh my gosh! HOW FABULOUS ist this mailart??? GREAT!

xxx Susi!
Thank you for visiting me and I would really be happy if you would once participate in the
Art Journal Journey Challenge!

a very merry christmas!

Sarah said...

brilliant theme, right up my street!

and you've both made wonderful mail art in response

I did a journal page about day of the triffids once, love that book!

Kristin said...

I love the metal effect too! AND the seripendipity of it all :)
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas at K's house (I know too much :) and a very happy New Year, xoxo

Kristin said...

Um, serendipity . . . ;)

Eileen said...

Excellent. I wish I knew what a Vagabond machine was :-)

BadPenny said...

Fabulous both of them.
Day of the Triffids is such a powerful book & some great ( and bad ) movies made !
Lovely mail. Thank you for your sweet Christmas card Jo ! xx