Saturday, 12 January 2013

Brooklyn Sketchbook Project 2013

(WARNING: This post is picture heavy,
really as a permanent record for myself -
many apologies!)

I took part in the
and it went in the post yesterday, 
a whole 4 days before the cut-off date ;)

(front cover - Affaires of the Heart)
From the selection of theme prompts
I chose 'chapbook'.
The Wikipedia definition of 'chapbook'
is HERE,
but basically a chapbook originated as 
a cheaply produced booklet or pamphlet, 
sold to the poorer classes, and once read 
was known to be used as 'bum fodder'.

The pages were often illustrated with simple
woodcuts although the pictures didn't always
correspond to the tale/rhyme on the page!


I hand carved all but one of the stamps 
in my chapbook and printed them onto
old book pages.
(When you fish for love, bait with your heart not your brain)
I removed the original pages in the sketchbook 
supplied (there were A LOT of pages!) 
and replaced them with watercolour paper.


I coloured the pages with water soluble 
wax crayons, inks and charcoal pencil.

(Treat me like a Queen and I'll treat you like a King)
(Love life: it's something to do)
I strengthened the page spines with fabric tape.


I used found quotes and also some of my own.

(Learn to trust your heart)
(Each day I love you more.
Today more than yesterday
and less than tomorrow)


I held the book together with 
rusted wire and buttons.

(I didn't carve this stamp)
(Happiness is a warm puppy.  Charles Shultz)

(I prithee send me back my heart,
Since I cannot have thine;
For if from yours you will not part,
Why, then, shouldst though have mine?
-
John Suckling)

(Love Nature)

(With matters of the heart start by loving yourself)
(Life is too short to stuff a mushroom)
(The End)

(Back cover)
(outer spine)
 This was fun to do.
The first Sketchbook I completed (HERE),
I got a little bit stressed about - the standard
required and etc.  The next one I did, 
the Limited Edition (HERE), I poured my 
heart and soul into because it was a 
tribute to my Dad.
This one, well I just had FUN!

I don't think I'll take part in another 
Sketchbook Project anytime soon, 
I think that I've got it out of my system for
a while.  Mind you, when I see the next 
one advertised I expect I'll be tempted!

Thank you for looking, and, as always,
thank you for your comments :)

XXX

27 comments:

Anns Art said...

Amazing! This is so good Joanna, you really have done a cracking job on this.
Must have been sorry to wave it goodbye, I would have been tempted to have kept it.

SusieJ said...

Jo...that is wonderful! Can't believe you hand carved all those stamps. I love the theme and the quotes you used.
WTG girl!!
Hugs xx

craftattack said...

Great work Jo, love those hand-carved stamps! Valerie

Jewels said...

Absolutely love it Jo - so glad I got to see it via Skype! How can you part with it! The stamps are really cool and you did such a nice job with the quotes...bravo :)

JansArtyJunk said...

Stunning work Jo!! Your hand carved stamps are fantastic!...and they go so well with all those lovely quotes. Jan x

Jill said...

Another fabulous sketchbook Joanna. I love your stamps. A work from the heart.

Gina said...

It looks fabulous Jo. Especially all those hand carved stamps.

Karen Isaacson said...

Gorgeous work, Jo. I'm glad it was photo heavy! I enjoyed seeing every page.

Sarah said...

don't apologise for all the photos, I'd have been sad to miss any of these - love all your hand carved stamps and how you've bound and trimmed your book, fantastic!

missy k said...

Beautiful work Jo... and what fun pages I LOVE the hand carved stamps.

You are braving parting with it!

Karenx

Virginia said...

Oh its beautiful Jo!!!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

Totally gorgeous, Jo and there is so much to see I am going to have to return and view this some more! Really, stunning!

Susan T said...

Your book is fabulous Jo, really lovely. I love the quotes you have chosen, but best of all it is the artwork you have put into it that makes it special. I wish I could see the original. xxx

menopausalmusing said...

Your hand carved stamps really make this special Joe. Well done you!

Virginia said...

Come back for another look this morning, Jo did you really hand carve all those stamps - utterly amazing!

Carmen said...

Sooooo much work gone into all those stamps! Glad you included all the piccies, they are glorious and as usual full of yummy colour and texture.

Kath said...

Hi Joanna, you are so artistic, I loved this project. I agree, you would have had a brilliant time at art college,(that's the one thing I wish I had done).
Happy new Year to you and big hug for Rosie Mae x

Lynn Holland said...

Hi Joanna
I've done a posting on SKETCHBOOK FRIENDS BLOG showing your book. Well done it's brill

TwinkleToes2day said...

Congratulations! This is simply wonderful. And all that hard work making the majority of the stamps yourself too. You should be very proud of yourself. Do you think you will get to any of the exhibitions?
Mo :0) x

Eileen said...

Wow, you've invested so much time and work in your book, glad it was fun. How could you bear to part with it and wlll you get it back?
It is fabulous.
Awww to'Happiness is a warm puppy" :-)

Joanna said...

Hello Eileen, thank you for your comments :) No, I'll never see this little book again - but I'm really ok with that. I enjoyed thinking about it and making it, I've got photos as a record for myself and I'm happy to see it go off to its new life.

xx

bohemiannie! art said...

As wonderful as this is...I have a feeling you'll be doing more.

BadPenny said...

Wow and Wow again Jo this is amazing ! Your carved stamps are so fluid & full of movement.

I have watched you grow as an artist and it's incredible.

Wonderful xxx

Terri Corona said...

I love it Joanna. I'm so impressed with your handmade stamps, and sweet quotes. It LOOKS like you had fun making it, which is a wonderful thing.

trisha too said...

Joanna, this is wonderful. I'm quite partial to hand carved stamps, so you got me, girl, you got me!

:)

froebelsternchen Susi said...

THAT IS simply FANTASTIC Jo!

xxx Susi
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY

Katie said...

Can you see my jaw on the floor? Oh woooow! I love love love it! The binding, all the stamps you carved, everything!!! Simply amazing Jo!
I especially like "love life, it's something to do" great!!
xo