Thursday, 7 March 2013

Mail Art + Postcard Swap

Jewels (Just Tickety-Boo) and I 
have been at it again -
we've done another 
Mail Art and postcard swap!

Jewels provided a wonderful 
photograph (she had two copies).



It was really interesting to see
how differently we interpreted
 the same image.


I hummed and haa'd for quite a while
about this one and in the end took
my inspiration from a page of vintage text
that Jewels had included in the envelope.

(it was not by flattering words he had won her)
I decided our young man
 needed some colour in his life!


The background is paper, gesso, 
stencils, doodles, washi tape, 
coloured staples and paint.
I printed the image of the young man
onto acetate and painted his hat, tie
and jacket with acrylic paints.
What girl could fail to fall for him?!


I carried the colours through onto the
Mail Art envelope,
printing the image onto tissue paper.

Jewels' Mail Art and postcard
 were very different!

(Jewels' postcard)
She was inspired by the uniform
 that the young man is wearing -
 from the railway.

(Jewels' envelope front)
She used wonderful rail road images
and original pages from an old 
dictionary and I really like how she 
wrapped the word 'TRAINS' 
around the envelope,
both back and front.


Another great swap 
which I really enjoyed.

From now on Lenna is going
to be joining in with our swaps :)

XXX

13 comments:

Carmen said...

I always love seeing these swaps that start out with a shared something or other at the beginning. it's always interesting seeing how people interpret the same thing in different ways.

I really love what you both did and I love the quote that inspired you :)

Virginia said...

Oh they are fabulous Jo - loving both of them!

missy k said...

I love what you have both done...what a great image to work with.

Karen x

Monica said...

What a great idea to color your photo. Sure made it pop. Good swap.

SusieJ said...

Love them both!!! It's wonderful to see the differences in interpretation of the same picture.
fabulous envelopes too!
Hugs xx

BadPenny said...

Superb and a lot of fun to see what you both came up with.

Eileen said...

You both did really well.
It's interesting how you both did such different interpretations!

craftattack said...

Lovely work from both of you! Valerie

ann @ studiohyde said...

I enjoy seeing the swaps, they look so good.

JansArtyJunk said...

Love seeing how differently you both interpreted the vintage image...you both did a fabulous job...fab mail-art ! x

Terri Corona said...

Ooh, I love them both. I'm such a sucker for old images like that. I adore the text you found - I need to spend some time trying to find great text like that in some of my old books.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh my goodness, how exciting to see what you have both done. Thanks so much for the scans and the commentary on two beautiful renditions of those photos! I am honored that you 2 are taking me in as I need, need, need to do some mail art with my two art buddies!! So looking forward to creating with you this month and awaking my blog again!!! xoxoxo

Jewels said...

He truly is one interesting dude LOL...looking forward to our next swap!