Sunday, 7 April 2013

Buried History Postcard and Mail Art Swap - Sharon Walworth

 I recently enjoyed a 
postcard and Mail Art swap with
Sharon Walworth.
Sharon has taken part in many of the swaps
arranged by Lenna, and I was lucky to receive
one of her postcards in Lenna's Postcard Swap.

For our swap, Sharon suggested the theme of
'Buried History',
having being inspired by the recent news of
the remains of King Richard III being


The background to my postcard is 
collaged papers, gessoed.
I printed the image of the skull 
(from the Graphics Fairy)
onto tissue paper and once stuck 
onto the background, I cut out and added 
the shape of a crown from some patterned 
(Decopatch) tissue paper. I painted the
giant 'rubies' on the crown.  
The gold coloured vertical stripes are
from a mask/stencil sent to me by Lenna 
(thank you, Lenna!).  The final touch is 
some 'shroud' material stitched on very 
roughly.  The quote is from
William Shakespeare's Richard III,

"Thou bloodless remnant of that royal blood."

which I thought was very appropriate for a skull!


For the Mail Art, I covered an envelope with
random scraps and snippets that might be found
blowing around in a car park - including
a feather, bus ticket, newspaper, sweet wrappers,
net from a bag of oranges, thread and tissue paper.  
I rubber stamped leaves too.
"What Lies Beneath" refers, of course,
to Richard's skeleton waiting to be
discovered.

Strangely, the envelope/postcard returned
to me a week after I sent it to Sharon
(maybe the Royal Mail machines didn't 
appreciate the lumpy bumpy nature 
of the surface of the envelope), so I
wrapped it in a clear plastic bag and re-wrote
Sharon's address details on a very unattractive
white label, but at least this time it made 
it to it's destination, phew!

*
And here is Sharon's interpretation.
I love all the textures, the golds, patterns
and the stitching
(in a very regal gold thread!).

(Front of Sharon's postcard)
Sharon also included a quote from
Shakespeare's Richard III!

"But shall we wear these honours for a day? 
Or shall they last, and we rejoice in them?"

(Back of Sharon's postcard)

(Front of Sharon's Mail Art)
 I really like Sharon's stitching on her
Mail Art envelope, and the architecture
images.  

(Back of Sharon's Mail Art)
 The quote on the back of the envelope,

"The past asks only to be remembered."
is perfect!

It was great fun swapping with Sharon
and I hope to swap again with her again :)

XXX

10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful mail art. Now I know why you are excavating your garden....Valerie

Jewels said...

Very cool Jo and I LOVE the theme - they both turned out really well. I read the whole story about Richard's remains - fascinating....

Eileen said...

You both had some great ideas there. Excellent results.

missy k said...

What great postcards...

Especially love all the details you put on the envelope.... how odd that it initially returned to you.

Karen x

Virginia said...

Oh that's gorgeous Jo, what fabulous interpretations of the subject!

Lenna Young Andrews said...

What a wonderful exchange! I am honored you two met through my creative swaps and what a great match you & Sharon are . . . both of you creating wonderful mail art and delectable postcards on an unusual but meaningful theme - wow! thank you for sharing what you both created, so rich! I'm also tickled that the stencil came in handy!! :)

Monica said...

I put all postcards into clear envelopes as the postal machines will shred it. Bummer for mail art.

Carmen said...

Another beautiful pair of postcards. How funny that yours got returned - and thank goodness you had a return address but at least it got their safely in the end :)

Terri Corona said...

Wow, they're both so different but equally fabulous! I'm a sucker for skulls for some reason, and yours turned out great. What fun - that whole Richard III thing absolutely fascinated me.

Katie said...

I love the stitching on there too! that is one cool envelope!

Looks like you have been having lots of fun lately!