Sunday, 25 August 2013

Film preview - The Way Way Back

We subscribe online to
and sometimes free tickets are 
offered for film previews.


This morning, Hope and I went to 
our local multiplex to see a 
free preview showing of


I had previously heard nothing 
about this film
and only knew Steve Carell from
comedies, so I was expecting quite a
lightweight funny ha-ha movie.

Wrong!

It was so much better 
than I was expecting.

It was very moving;
the story is told from the perspective of an
awkward 14 year old boy, Duncan, having to cope
with his mother's new boyfriend, Trent (Steve Carell) -
who from the outset we become aware is not as 
wonderful as everyone else seems to think he is.


Great acting from a superb cast; 
particularly Steve Carrell,
Liam James (Duncan) 


and Sam Rockwell (Owen).


This is rated as a 12A -
there is minimal swearing, 
some sexual references,
and no violence.

Do I recommend this film?

YES!!

XXX


8 comments:

Jewels said...

I had heard a great review of this movie on my local Public Radio station - on my list!

Eileen said...

Glad you enjoyed it.
I probably would have dismissed it being a 12A!

SusieJ said...

Thanks for the honest review...I shall add this to my "list of films to watch out for" on Sky.
Sounds like a great way to spend a morning...:)
Hugs xx

missy k said...

Sounds like the type of film I'd like:)

Karen x

Peggy Lynn said...

I saw this over the weekend and absolutely LOVED it. I'm not a Steve Carrell fan at all -- but must say he did a splendid job as the jerky soon-to-be stepfather.

Terri Corona said...

I LOVED this film. So good to see Steve Carell do something different and stretch his acting muscles, and I just adored Sam Rockwell in it - I want to be his friend and hang out at the water park!

BadPenny said...

Thank you for the review Jo, if this is ANYWHERE near as good as Little Miss Sunshine then it's a winner and... we are going to the cinema tomorrow !

Linda said...

I've so much to catch up with here Joanna. I still don't know why I wasn't getting your posts so I just signed up thru email. Fingers crossed it works :)