Thursday, 26 September 2013

Lowry and Mexico and Poppet

In case you were thinking I had
fallen into a wormhole, fear not!  I am
still here, still well, but life is 
just being crazy busy!

A few weeks ago,
Hope and I had a lovely day in London.
We started off by visiting
Tate Britain
to see the
Lowry and the Painting of Modern Life
exhibition.


For me, this exhibition wasn't one I
was desperate to see but it was on, I 
have my Tate card (as a member I get 
into all Tate exhibitions free, and so does 
Hope until she's 17),
we had the time and hey, why not?!

I LOVED it!
I was blown away with how Lowry was able
to depict a mood, people's lives and make a
comment on the harsh reality of society
in the industrial age of early to
mid 20th century northern Britain.

And as for those matchstick people -
wow!
With minimal paint and detail he
cleverly managed to show excitement,
depression, sadness, life and death.

I was particularly impressed by 
how he showed movement

Interestingly, Lowry's paintings were shown 
alongside paintings by contemporary
painters of modern life such as Van Gogh,
Seurat and Utrillo.

This exhibition is on until the
20th October 2013.

*
Hope and I then hopped on the 
tube and we went to the 
to see 
Mexico: A Revolution in Art 1910-1940.


This is a period of history that I
knew nothing about and so for that reason
it was interesting.

There was a rich variety of artwork;
much of it created by artists who were
merely visiting Mexico.

I don't quite know what to make of this
exhibition.  It was interesting and I'm
glad we went - but I didn't come out
knowing much more than when I went in!

This exhibition is only on for a couple
more days, ending on
29th September 2013.

***
I'll leave with with a photo of
sweet Poppet, one of our
new guinea pigs.


She really is the CUTEST
little pig!

XXX




15 comments:

Monica said...

I always love Lowery. Mexican art is buried in folklorico, traditions an kandscape. I never though visiting artist really got it!

Eileen said...

I would have loved to visit the Lowry exhibition, his work is close to home so to speak. I am from Manchester, born in the early fifties, my mother and aunt worked in the cotton mills. It was a grimy, smoggy place. Lowry painted what he felt from the heart.
My favourite artist is Van Gogh though, such a tragic life he had!

Glad you're not too busy to blog by the way. I hope all is well xx

marigold jam said...

Love the guinea pig's hairdo! I must try and get to the Lowry exhibition it sounds good.

Gina said...

I really wanted to see that exhibition of Mexican art but won't get there in time. Very cute piggie!

Virginia said...

Oh art exhibitions fab, glad you enjoyed them Jo! Loving Poppet - how cute??????

SusieJ said...

Poppet is super cute!!!
Loving the sound of the exhibitions too. A lovely girls day out!
Hugs xx

Terri Corona said...

The Lowry exhibit sounds wonderful, I love the poster. And Poppet cracks me up, it looks like she's wearing a bad toupee!

BadPenny said...

I've come to love Lowry too. Lovely to get to these exhibitions with Hope and enjoy them together.
Cute hairdo !

Jill said...

Just love that 'lil' piggie.
So often seeing an artist's work reveals so much more than reproductions.

missy k said...

Sounds like a wonderful day out :)

Ah poor Poppett.... another bad hair day!!! Only joking she is super cute!

Karen x

Maggi said...

hee hee Poppet makes me smile. :D

Privet and Holly said...

Dear Joanna, so happy
to see that while I've been
walking through shadows,
you have most definitely
been in the sunshine! Such
fun outings and the adoption
of these two little critters.
You definitely have the
sweetest heart!

Thank you for your kind and
supportive comments during
these shadow weeks. I wish
I could adequately express what
a balm they have been for me.

Love & hugs,
xo Suzanne

Kristin said...

Aweeeeeeee! xoxo

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Jo! Just going through my blog-list and saw yours and thought I'd drop by and let you know you're being thought of. I hope all is well in your corner of the world! Take care, okay? :-)

Carmen said...

I thought I'd commented on this one. Lowry, I thought, was not to my taste but 've been looking at a few of his pieces since this exhibit has been on the news and stuff... and I really like it. I'm surprised at how much I like it.

The Mexican exhibit looks interesting too!