Friday, 24 January 2014

12 Years A Slave

Mr Urbani and I treated ourselves to
a lunch and cinema date yesterday,
and took ourselves off to Oxted to see
which I expect you've heard about.


The film is based on the true story of
a man's fight for survival and freedom.
A free black man living in the North of the USA,
he was abducted, 
taken to the South and 
sold into slavery.

The performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor is
quite remarkable and very believable.

There are also strong performances by,
amongst many,
Michael Fassbender,
Benedict Cumberbatch
and Brad Pitt.

The film has been nominated for 
9 Academy Awards,
including Best Picture,
and 7 Golden Globe Awards.

This film has been rated a 15
and, at times, it makes for difficult viewing
with scenes of physical and mental cruelty.

On the 'Joanna Scale' 
this film deserves
10/10.

Go see it!

XXX


11 comments:

marigold jam said...

Thanks for the review - must look oout for that film.

Virginia said...

Oh what a list of stars in this Jo - glad you enjoyed it, even if at times it was a hard watch!

Tan Kingston said...

Thanks for reviewing this one, Jo! I've seen many trailers and the acting looks Amazing! Mr K asked me the other day if I fancied popping off to the local flicks to catch this one. Still thinking about it… Trouble is, I am not good at viewing physical violence. I will probably chuck up or something!

Terri Corona said...

This is one of those movies that I know will be wonderful but I haven't quite had the will to subject myself to it yet. I'm glad you think it was worth it!

BadPenny said...

This looks very powerful. I want to see it, also The Railway Man & know both will be hard viewing

SusieJ said...

Great review Jo...I've heard and seen a lot about this film but at the moment even the glorious Benedict can't entice me to watch it..too vulnerable emotionally.
Pleased you enjoyed it and that and Mr U had a lovely afternoon out.
Hugs xx

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Jo! Thanks for the good review! We got some free movie tickets to the theater where it's currently showing, so maybe we'll use them to go see it. Hope all is well in your corner of the world, and you have a good day too!

Eileen said...

Another film on my wish to watch list.

Gina said...

We saw it last week and I totally agree with you - an amazing film. When we came out it seemed wrong to say we enjoyed it but it was certainly very powerful.

Carmen said...

Seems awful to think not so very long ago that could happen. Seems inconceivable. Then you read about it happening even in present day.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to this type of film - I find them more of a horror than 'horror' films if that makes sense? At least most of the monsters in those are fantasy.

Love your film reviews :)

Natasha said...

This is on my to see list but I think i need to be in the space to see a Mo ie like this. It looks like one that will continue to live with you.