Monday, 6 October 2014

Poppies and Cider

Mr Urbani and I treated ourselves to a day out on Friday.
We were lucky to catch what was probably the last 
beautiful warm sunshiny day of the year.

First stop was London Bridge train station
and a walk across the bridge to 
follow the Thames path.


We went past the old Billingsgate Fish Market


See the fishy themed weather vane on top of the roof?


Then past The Shard, 308m from ground to tip.


And then on to 


The Tower once had a Menagerie,
hence the wire animal sculptures.

It is currently marking the 100 year
anniversary of the First World War with
a major art installation
'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red'.


By the time the installation is complete 
(on November 11th) there
will be 888,246 poppies filling the moat.
Each ceramic poppy symbolises a British
military death during the 1914-18 war.


It is incredibly moving to see.


They pour out of the window



and go over the top of the walls,
symbolising the soldiers going over the top of the
trenches.


Traitors Gate always sends a chill up my back!


Mr U, enjoying the sunshine.

We walked along to St Katherine's Dock


where we saw the Queen's Rowbarge, 
Gloriana,
created for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012.


There were several vitreous enamel panels
which I really liked.




Walking back along the Thames path


there were a few photo opportunities!


Once back across London Bridge, we
popped into Borough Market
where a friend of ours has recently opened a
very cool cocktail bar
Whiskey Ginger.


Grant and I sat upstairs by the open window
and enjoyed some delicious ice cold cider 
(although the cocktail menu looked very tempting)
and the burgers were sooooo lovely!


I realy liked the lighting!

We had such an enjoyable day
and we still got home with enough time


to take Missy out for a nice long run.
We slept well that night!

The weather has changed somewhat since Friday -
our central heating is on,
and today I wore boots in the rain :(

XXX


14 comments:

Jewels said...

What a lovely day with great sights! Lucky you....yep I think Mother Nature has finally thrown the switch on us - being raining and cold here alot...

carol l mckenna said...

Love your doggie! Wonderful photos of a fun day ~ We went through 3 days of rain ~ now sun ~ New England is a lot like Britain ~ Enjoy!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Virginia said...

Oh I so wanted to see the poppies in situ - such an amazing sight - sigh.

You look like you made the most of the autumn sunshine it's certainly changed since Friday Jo!

Eileen said...

Thank you for taking us along on your walk.The symbolic poppies bring a lump to the throat.
Yes, it's definitely goodbye to the summer and straight into winter.
Little Missy is looking gorgeous xx

BadPenny said...

The poppies must look incredible. It's a gorgeous autumn day today after two days of torrential rain !

Carmen said...

My feet ache just reading this post but it looks so much fun.

I really want to get up to see the poppies but can't see it happening in all honesty :( I love your photos and those wire sculptures too!

Caz said...

It looks like you had a lovely day! The poppies look amazing, I won't get a chance to see them myself but i've seen lots of amazing photos!!

missy k said...

Sounds like a really wonderful day.... the poppies are amazing.

Hmmm... that bar looks rather good!

We had another lovely warm day today... this summer keeps on giving :)

Bet Missy was happy to see you in time for walkies

Karen x

Terri Corona said...

Oh my gosh, thank you for the vicarious London tour! I'm dying to get back to London, hopefully someday. Those poppies are absolutely amazing, I'd love to see them in person.

cjsrq said...

What a lovely tour you gave us...so many wonderful sights. The poppy installation is incredible. It really brings home how many soldiers died. Such a moving tribute. Thanks for sharing all these delightful pictures with your comments.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

what a lot of wonderful sights -so nice to see all that you did with your hubby. And have time for a walk with Missy too! Lovely photos. xo

Monica said...

A truly romantic day and enjoyed your photos nad post.

arts4all said...

Dear Joanna,

It's been ages since I've blogged myself or read yours, Lenna's and others'.

I have been reading lots about WWI - both novels and non-fiction. Your photos of the poppies made me cry. It really should have been the war to end all wars - when will we ever learn?

And I was tickled to see Karen Isaacson's name on your blog - I've just discovered her! I'm participating in the round postcard swap - hope that different format makes it through the mails. The clerk at my PO was intrigued!

Best to you,

~Susan

Kristin said...

What a perfect day! And those poppies! Did you buy one? I thought it was so interesting that they will be for sale after the event. It must have been amazing. You look beautiful too, xoxo