Saturday, 13 December 2014

Oh, Vienna!

"We walked in the cold air
Freezing breath on a window pane....." 
(Vienna, Ultravox)

It was my birthday on Monday,
a rather, a-hem, B-I-G birthday that has
a 5 and a 0 in it (yikes!).

(such a pretty shop window)
Mr Urbani whisked me off to 
Vienna for a few days for some 
Christmas market shopping, 
punsch drinking and Klimt viewing.


We had a fabulous time.


We went to FIVE Christmas markets (!).
The market stalls were so beautiful,
and I loved the sights, smells and sounds.
It was quite magical.


I wanted to try everything!

(Vienna selfie)
It was very cold, crisp,
bright and wonderfully sunny, 
perfect for the festive season.

(I am an angel, official)
(perfect graffitti!)
We stayed in a delightful hotel,
in the arty Spittelberg district
(and just a 15 minute walk 
from the city centre)
whose walls were adorned with 
all types of artwork.
  


The breakfasts were wonderful, 
and the staff friendly, helpful 
and really rather lovely.

(Grant, always the 14 year old boy)

Vienna is very clean and very stylish,
and everyone behaves themselves!


How many backstreets of London 
are as clean as this?!



We visited the stunning Belvedere Palace and saw some Klimt artwork, 
including The Kiss.



I could have hyperventilated with joy
but managed to restrain myself,
just about.

We went to 3 different restaurants 
for our evening meals
and enjoyed eating authentic 
Viennese food.

And we laughed.
My goodness, we laughed like silly 
teenagers (which might have had 
a little bit to do with the very alcoholic 
and delicious punsch!).

We are in love with Vienna
and will, one day, go back.

Thanks for looking!

XXX

12 comments:

Eileen said...

Happy birthday wishes.....you youngster :)
Glad you had a wonderful time.

Jewels said...

Klimt! Oh you lucky girl - it looks just wonderful - I would not only want to try everything but to BUY everything LOL...It will be a BD you remember :)

missy k said...

Sounds and looks wonderful....

Great photos, love the one of you with your angel wings especially!

Klimt.. sigh....

Your hotel looks really funky.... boys never really grow up do they?

Fantastic birthday memories :)

Karen x

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Jo, you've taken me to a place I have only read about and will probably never get to visit, and now I feel like I have. What great fun! And how perfectly wonderful and so enjoyable!! Along with your memories, I hope you found some fun treasures to bring back too!!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

PS: HaPpY HaPpY Birthday too--A perfect way to celebrate a milestone birthday!!

Virginia said...

Ah you look like you had a fab time and it looks gorgeous! Love the look of the Christmas markets as well Jo - officially love your angel shot and glad you got to see some fabulous art!

BadPenny said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Jo. The Kiss would be a highlight I'm sure but it all looks fabulous x

Monica said...

What a lovely way to spend your big five o. Great memories

Lenna Young Andrews said...

oh my goodness, JO! What a wild and lovely birthday present -wow! I am amazed. How wonderful. happy, hapPy Happy Birthday!!!!

Terri Corona said...

Oh my gosh, I want a re-do on my 50th (just last July) so I can go to Vienna instead! It looks absolutely wonderful.

Tan Kingston said...

Oh My Golly, Jo this all looks so Amazing!! So tailored for you - all that art and fun in one weekend! Are you still on cloud 9? Can't wait for our Costa treat next week and hear ALL about it! xx

Tan Kingston said...

Oh My Golly, Jo this all looks so Amazing!! So tailored for you - all that art and fun in one weekend! Are you still on cloud 9? Can't wait for our Costa treat next week and hear ALL about it! xx